The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3DS

Broker

My systems arrived (Amazon), looks lovely. Left it to charge, I'll deal with the system transfer bollocks later.

Doesn't feel slippery as some reviews have suggested, to me it feels quite pleasantly smooth (but of course, still not matte, still a fingerprint magnet).

The stylus looks to be the best one yet, pretty thick.

why would anyone NOT want to be able to move the camera round. To me it's about taking in the world and having a good look around. I might walk in a straight line and not fight anything for quite a distance, but I'll still move the camera round because, hey, it's nice and it's enjoyable.

Still nothing from Game :(

Anyone else had theirs yet?

Not from Game, it got dispatched Tuesday and yet I ordered something from The Game Collection Wednesday and that got here Thursday. And I've had a delivery today... Poor showing Game. :(

It does benefit from the added camera functionality. We've come along way since 2000 and although you may remember a streamlined, less bothersome solution, the truth is that the original camera just isn't sufficient by today's standards. It's still entirely functional but it's demonstrably better having the c-stick.

To which I say, frankly "Bollocks". It's not nostalgia - I have played these games more recently than 2000. It's not that I remember a more streamlined solution, it is a more streamlined solution.

The original OoT camera system is pretty much perfect. I clearly remember on my first play through, approaching the waterfall entrance to Zora's Domain, the camera automatically moved upward, to give me a better view. I remember thinking "Ooh, that's clever". Or just generally, like when Link goes near an edge here at 1:43.

It's a very elegant system. The game moves the camera automatically to give you the best view, and if you don't like it and want to look straight ahead you simply press Z. These days you'd have to manually adjust the camera to get a similar view. It's bothersome busy work, and I want the game designers to do it, frankly. I'm busy enough controlling the "actors" here, without having to worry about operating the cameras as well. And why should the game designers bother with intelligent, context specific camera design like the example I just cited, if they can just get the player to do it?

What exactly is the "problem" that manual camera controls are fixing anyway? I don't remember having a single camera issue in either game.

It's a very elegant system. The game moves the camera automatically to give you the best view, and if you don't like it and want to look straight ahead you simply press Z.

And if you don't like the view Z gives you, now you can adjust it more!

Zelda games have fantastic cameras, absolutely, but they're hardly perfect. I had to do a fair bit of "shuffle-Z, shuffle-Z" to look around in Ocarina of Time (particularly in the bit with the hedge maze) and I suspect I'll have to do the same in Majora's Mask given I have a one-stick 3DS.

I mean, it's fine, but a camera stick would just be better. And if you don't agree, you can ignore it.

You can still play the game exactly like that if you choose. I play with a mixture of auto and manual. You don't have to choose, those options are available at all times and the two systems run concurrently i.e. it runs in automatic camera mode the same as the original 2000 game until you choose to use the c-stick to take over yourself - which reverts back to auto the moment you let go.

The reason it's better is because a) it gives you more choice without diminishing the appeal of the original and, more usefully, b) you don't have to pause and go into first person mode every time you wish to look around.

It's a much more versatile system. You can disagree but you're going have to take my word for it until you try it yourself.

But you did stop in OOT and MM to look around, having entered first person mode, yeah? I mean, you'd have had to in order to solve puzzles, find your way around etc. This is no different only now you don't have to pause or interrupt the flow of your game.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem. I play it 50/50 preferring to let the camera follow me, with auto-centre often being the quickest way to do things anyway. It's just nice for fine adjustments here and there.

Having spent the last ten years or so using a right stick for camera, not having it now would make me feel like my neck and head were paralysed.

It's such a beautiful game now too. They've really gone to town on the remaster and the 3D is sensational.

There is simply nothing like Zelda and this is nothing like most Zeldas. Quality, ambition and craftsmanship seep from every pore.

Edit. I know that you know that [last paragraph] Davros. It's just sometimes playing something like this, well, it's a reminder to myself just how good Nintendo were/are.

Not from Game, it got dispatched Tuesday and yet I ordered something from The Game Collection Wednesday and that got here Thursday. And I've had a delivery today... Poor showing Game. :(

Yep another here who hasn't received theirs from GAME. Second time in a row they've not gotten something to me for launch day despite it apparently being dispatched on Tuesday.

Feel your pain man, but I'm gonna break protocol and quote myself from the 3DS thread.

Another big release event, another load of 'Game are c*nts' posts.

I do honestly wonder how many times people will keep going back to the well?

Fuck 'em and don't risk the hat-trick.

I wasn't going to get this, but after pausing in GAME and looking at the thing on the shelves misty-eyed nostalgia set in and I ended up getting it... and a New 3DS XL to play it on. Oops.

It's really, really lovely. I bought it on launch day for the N64, completed it over a a weekend and haven't been back since - not because I didn't enjoy it, but because I liked it so much I could remember it all pretty vividly for years afterwards so didn't need another play through. I really like the little tweaks they've made to the Bombers' Notebook to make it easier to keep track of all the little side quests and happenings. Over the past few years my memories of it had started to fade so it's feeling pretty fresh but at the same time packed with loads of 'woah, I remember this character/monster/storyline/mask/song - awesome!' moments :)

Oh, and the new console is cool and I am glad I 'upgraded' to it. 3D is much better and much easier on my eyes. C-Stick does a pretty good job too, despite my initial reservations.

Good times :). Sorry for all those folks who are stuck waiting because of GAME online ineptitude - all I can say is that it will be worth your wait.

I'm actually really tempted to get a 3DS for this. It's the only Zelda I've played that I haven't finished, I still have the original that I bought from somebody off the forum but no N64 now.

I'm not up to date with handhelds much anymore but I presume there's a good back catalogue of stuff on the 3DS as well. Might take a look come pay day.