Just Cause 3

gospvg

It has real time stat tracking against other players on your friends list (things like longest jump, wingsuit glide, chain explosion) things like that.

I really like the wingsuit challenges, it's fiddly as fook but the sense of speed is spot on and it is proper satisfying gliding through a tunnel between cars. The start of them is so reminiscent of Pilotwings :)

It has real time stat tracking against other players on your friends list (things like longest jump, wingsuit glide, chain explosion) things like that.

I really like the wingsuit challenges, it's fiddly as fook but the sense of speed is spot on and it is proper satisfying gliding through a tunnel between cars. The start of them is so reminiscent of Pilotwings :)

How are you finding the replayability with those challenges? I gave up after the 3rd attempt due to the 30-40 second load times inbetween :(

now the wingsuit challenge loadtimes (the one where you start over the sea and can choose to go through the tunnel or to the left of the cliff loaded for me in about 15-20 seconds.

but the one with the assault chopper was something ridiculous like 4 minutes.

I think it's maybe the game trying to connect to the fucked servers while loading or something because there's absolutely no reason for them to take that long when transitions between cutscenes are about 10 seconds tops.

I've just done 4h straight and not been niggled at all by it, frame rate seems fine so far to me and whilst the challenges can take a while to load again it's not been ruinous for me (though I've only done them at most 2-3 times). I've been seeing the server connection probes too but we are still officially pre-launch.

Overall I'm just loving this, I think they've really added depth to every mechanism and the game just feels great when it all comes together as you grapple, parachute and shoot at the same time. The controls are super crisp and responsive.

I think it's a bit rose tinted to say this isn't much of a progression to JC2, it feels a world apart to me and I had over 100h logged on 2.

Yeah I'm surprised at how much they've added since JC2. The wingsuit, challenges, enhanced destruction,field drops and new tether mechanics are worth it alone but my absolute favorite new thing that i've seen so far is the way enemies hit by explosives now pirouette through the air on fire like they've just been hit by a dragon punch, gleefully satisfying :D

Another nice detail is the shockwave from explosions; far too many times I've had Rico blow something up, carried on shooting, turned back in the direction of explosion only to be knocked flying.

Wanted to play more tonight but didn't get a chance so will attempt a video tomorrow. Never done it before, fingers-crossed I can get it working and show off my embarrassing lack of skills.

I found the vehicles fine, there was an early checkpoint challenge in one of the trickier sports cars and whilst the cars are a bit frisky they didn't seem that bad to me - just like all the other control mechanics in the game there seems a bit of depth and something to learn in the systems.

I think thats what I love about it, the game expects you to get good at the controls and doesn't spoon feed you everything. Its quite refreshing and the non-sticky nature of the climbing reminds me so much of Crackdown, rather than say the Infamous or Nathan Drake styles where you stick to everything. Even on the opening area that doesn't get that high, climbing with parachute grapple to the highest spot, taking a look, then leaping off to wingsuit down feels so 'free'

I'm probably a bit of an apologist for this as just love it and am willing to forgive it the old foible - its such a great open world/sandbox and to my tastes is miles ahead of the more scripted & directed games that claim to be open world too.

It's junk! It's a total waste of time, and even more frustrating in that a heap of mods are locked behind challenges that involve driving.

Can't disagree with this.

The handling on JC2 and Sleeping Dogs was ropey and whilst this has improved, in the loosest sense of the word, it's still shocking. I think the camera feels too stiff and the handbrake is not sensitive enough or overly sensitive.

I'll stick to the grapple and wing suit instead.

Disappointing if true, as there are some amazing mods on JC2. Modders arguably breathed more life into JC2 with the multiplayer mod so it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to lock them out of JC3.

They've said the game will support mods and invited the multiplayer mod team to the studio so they could get a head start by seeing the game before release.

I've a feeling that this is going to review pretty badly :(

There's too much in this that's just bad, and not in the so bad it's funny category. Just bad.

The fps drops are honestly crazy on PS4, I'm really surprised that I seem to be the only person struggling with it. If reminds me of GoldenEye on the N64 when there were explosions near your character.

For a game all about explosions it shouldn't be crawling at single digit frames per second when they happen.

For those wondering why you can't slingshot using the rappel like JC2, you can, you have to press circle at the peak of the pull to cancel it , and then L1 again to start the next pull. If your timing's right you'll soon be zipping around with ease. You've got to play offline at the minute as the server issues are a major buzzkill, it's impossible to play online. Had an absolute blast this morning taking on a military base, I'll see if I can put some footage up in a bit.

The loadtimes are killing this gane(Ps4).

That and the constant online bullshit.

Agreed. I've got a bit of buyers regret if I'm perfectly honest.

The latter can be fixed with a patch but horrendous fps, embarrassingly bad driving mechanics (the motorbikes are especially bad), shit shooting mechanics and dodgy loading times aren't something that can be fixed quickly, if at all.

Those with it on pre-order; I'd wait for the reviews first.

i don't think the online can be called bullshit yet - their servers may not be up as its not out officially.

I can see the scores being a mixed bag as people who have got hold of it seem to either thinks its terrible or great fun (I'm clearly in the latter camp)

such a shame that the most powerful consoles we've ever seen constantly struggle with things that should be things of the past (you never had slow loads on SNES cartridge)

I'm seriously tempted to stick a chillblast nano pc under my tv

i don't think the online can be called bullshit yet - their servers may not be up as its not out officially.

I can see the scores being a mixed bag as people who have got hold of it seem to either thinks its terrible or great fun (I'm clearly in the latter camp)

such a shame that the most powerful consoles we've ever seen constantly struggle with things that should be things of the past (you never had slow loads on SNES cartridge)

I'm seriously tempted to stick a chillblast nano pc under my tv

A single player only game being fucked over because of server calls can definitely be called out. If it can't connect the player should never know.

Anyone else having problems with the game crashing (on PS4) I've had it crash 6 times now, 4 of which where on the first mission near the end so I had to restart it each time and now in the challenges.

The load times are mental.

Anyone else having problems with the game crashing (on PS4) I've had it crash 6 times now, 4 of which where on the first mission near the end so I had to restart it each time and now in the challenges.

The load times are mental.

I haven't had a crash yet but you're not alone - others online have had it happen to them.

I haven't had any crashes but the frame rate is properly shoddy, even at times where nothing much is going on.

Avalanche must have smelt something in the water with redundancies and the price being set to £30. For me, it's much like Fallout 4 - same game, new generation. I don't really see anything they couldn't have done before and nothing particularly groundbreaking.

I can forgive the loading times and iffy frame rate as I'm having loads of fun !

2 highlights in particular - I used my grappling hook to fling a box of supplies to a rebel base, and a guys van broke down so I use my grappling hook to tow him to a petrol station .

The explosions are fantastic and I adore the wing suit. If you get it right, you can fly for ages .

I'm loving it, and I'm even getting used to the driving .

If you loved 2, you'll love 3 .

Had more fun in my 5 hours on this than most games I've bought this year. Usually I'm a bit of a stickler for frame rates but it's really not that bad , even when you send a petrol station into orbit. It's certainly no worse than forum darling Bloodborne and nowhere near as bad as say Far Cry 3 on the old consoles.