rllmuk
Wizcat

Arcade Club (Bury and now Leeds)

Was there last month.  Was surprised by how decent the food (and price) was.

Fucking insanely amazing place.  Highlights: obviously Quick and Crash, Pacman BR, one of the weird rhythm games where you hit the tiles, Darius, hydraulic Out Run and 4P Sega Hotrod (and so so many others).  Can't wait for the Leeds branch to open.  

18 hours ago, carleton said:

A bald geek with beard in Arcade Club. Good luck with finding me ;) 

I think I spotted you playing some kind of DDR thing, but bottled going up and saying "are you Carleton off of the internet?"

Yeah, think so. I was "a bit tipsy" so 1) I wasn't sure and 2) I figured you probably didn't want some pissed scouse bloke slurring at you.

Arcade Club was honestly brilliant. We got there just after 6 and were the last ones to leave. Could have spent ages there.

The selectioof games is really good and the fact they're on free play means you can try stuff you haven't played before. I'd never played Silent Scope but gave it a go and loved it.

You forget how punishingly hard some of these games are, though. We played through Time Crisis II and the Turtles beat em up. Without infinite continues, we never would have go through them.

We want to go back sober so we can work out if Sega Rally, Ridge Racer and Outrun are harder than we remember or if we were just impaired last night.

Seriously people, if you've never been, go. It's an amazing place.

• Upvote 5

On 24/05/2019 at 15:56, geldra said:

Highlights: obviously Quick and Crash, 

YES

I love it so much. Current best is 2.610. When I was there last, there was a bunch of people taking it in turns busting out 3sec times routinely. So, so good.

5 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Seriously people, if you've never been, go. It's an amazing place.

It truly is! I love it and can’t wait to get over to Leeds once that opens. Much easier journey for me. 

Its amazing to be to be able to share the games of my childhood with my kids and play a load of modern stuff too (Beatmania!!)

Also... Outrun 2!!

Looks like I’m going to Leeds next weekend. I’ve won free admission plus food and drinks. 

Can we get the thread title updated with the second location?

• Upvote 1

On 25/05/2019 at 19:54, Poet said:

Pretty sure this is the perfect venue for a proper rllmuk meetup.

That would be amazing, would definitely make the trip up from deepest Gloucestershire. 

• Upvote 1

On 25/05/2019 at 20:25, Vespa Alex said:

Can we get the thread title updated with the second location?

Done.

Why can't we get one of these in the South East? We never get anything down here.

• Upvote 2

On 24/05/2019 at 15:56, geldra said:

Was there last month.  Was surprised by how decent the food (and price) was.

Fucking insanely amazing place.  Highlights: obviously Quick and Crash, Pacman BR, one of the weird rhythm games where you hit the tiles, Darius, hydraulic Out Run and 4P Sega Hotrod (and so so many others).  Can't wait for the Leeds branch to open.  

Same. Went there and everything was amazing. Great atmosphere. Great food prices. Great variety of machines. 

Andy and the team have nailed it all. Even deodorant in the loo!

7 hours ago, Pob said:

Done.

Why can't we get one of these in the South East? We never get anything down here.

On one hand I was a little surprised that it was pretty close to Bury as it's not really widening their coverage, but I suppose it makes sense for it to be convenient for Andy and his team.

Hopefully this will be a success and they'll go for somewhere more southerly next time. Like Birmingham ;)

6 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I went yesterday. It was packed. It was one in one out on the door. Was still great. Will be going again. I wanna do a late nighter.

On Friday it was virtually empty when we got there. I wouldn't say it was overly busy at any point. I was drunk, though, so it could have been heaving and I just didn't notice.

• Upvote 1

On 25/05/2019 at 19:54, Poet said:

Pretty sure this is the perfect venue for a proper rllmuk meetup.

Yes! :D

Off to the Leeds opening tonight. I love the Bury one enough to make the trip over there pretty regularly but it's amazing that they've been successful enough to open a second location, especially when it's in my city. Going to be a great venue for my local fighting game community to run tournaments and casual sessions too. :D 

• Upvote 2

Great time at AC Leeds last night. The venue is way more fancy than the Bury one. Looks more inviting from the outside than the murder-warehouse vibes in Bury for sure. A fine selection of games, great layout, good use of the space. Monster Hunter Purri Purri Poogie racing was probably the highlight for me. Don't now how I've never seen it before but it is such a great choice to have near the main entrance and it's as hysterical to watch as it is to play. 

The console/PC/esports-y bit on the top floor isn't finished yet but we still played Mario Kart 8 on a truly enormous TV in there and it has big comfy sofas and looks like it'll be a great place to hang out once it's done. 

Also played through Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder to the end and think I have RSI now. Worth it. 

• Upvote 7

been meaning to go for ages, anyway went to bury tonight/yesterday, was really good. played loads of stuff, had a lot more modern shmups than i expected, espgaluda, batrider, the monitor on the batrider cab was amazing, shame i haven't played it in ages and was rubbish at it, ketsui and DOJ i did a bit better at after a few goes, great to see all those games there, there wasn't much competition for thoes cabs though i didn't see anyone else play them, good for me but also a shame. ikaruga was there too, and a dragon one i don't really recognise - cyvern or something? the new darius on the massive screen - i don't really like the game but the cab is really cool, all the lights/rumbling when a boss appears!

played a load of rhythm action games too, and there were loads more i didn't get chance to play, played theatrhythm, benami?, something where you spin these pads round, some cube thing which was really good, taiko, some other stuff i didn't know what it was. ddr which i was amazingly bad at. problem with these is they are hard to operate with the language barrier (i spent ages pressing buttons trying to get one to work but i hadn't pressed the credit button - what a noob) and getting the difficulty right, often they were too difficult/easy but changing the difficiulty was difficult in itself because of the language thing. rhythm tenguku too - it was hard hearing some of them too, god knows how you'd solve that problem. still absolutely brilliant to have all these crazy rhythm games to play - definitely want to go back and try some more.

tried VR shame it was stuff out on psvr so i'd already played them (dirt rally and beat saber - absolutely brilliant games though) but it was nice to try the different headset/tracking. the guy said he put me on the best car on dirt rally but it was a rwd which i remembered being really tricky to control so i was protesting and wanted a different car but fair play to him it handled fine.

other random stuff - monkeyball with the banana controller, crazy taxi, outrun 2 - picked auto gears - forgot you need gears to drift - still pleased to get to the end of the easy route after not playing it for ages. initial d. there was loads of light gun games too, i only tried one.

espgaluda was a bit broken, you couldn't activate the slowdown, guess i should report that or something.

anyway yeah really enjoyed it, definitely want to go back :D

1 minute ago, Vespa Alex said:

Andy has said that Leeds is the proof that the format scales and travels, but he would like more sites if it’s viable. 

Bury and Leeds is just too far for me to travel, so the mumber of times ive been to arcade barn = 0

How about oxford, reading, southampton?

Somewhere with easy transportation

Seeing Arcade Club and business like it open up across the country shows there is an industry for this now. If I ever make good with my father maybe I can convince him to turn his failing bar and night club into such a place. The seaside arcades here are a joke now, total gambling dens. I bet there are people here who would love a bar that provides pinball (only place with a working one I know of is nearly 20 miles away) and other such novelties.

I’ve booked train tickets to go in mid July. £50 return from London, and it’s basically a 6 hour round trip. 

I must be crazy. But what the hell, just got to go. Reckon I can spend about 6 hours there. 

2 hours ago, Broken Thumbs said:

I’ve booked train tickets to go in mid July. £50 return from London, and it’s basically a 6 hour round trip. 

I must be crazy. But what the hell, just got to go. Reckon I can spend about 6 hours there. 

Is it easy to get to, from stations in Manchester?

Apparently so (incidentally, the ticket I booked was only the London to Manchester Piccadilly bit). 

Both train and tram (Metrolink) will get me to the Bury Interchange, it says on the Arcade website. 1 mile walk after that.  If I hit any problems I’ll post here next month. 

2 hours ago, Broken Thumbs said:

Apparently so (incidentally, the ticket I booked was only the London to Manchester Piccadilly bit). 

Both train and tram (Metrolink) will get me to the Bury Interchange, it says on the Arcade website. 1 mile walk after that.  If I hit any problems I’ll post here next month. 

I did it via train and tram last month. It's easily done. Just Google map the walk from the the Bury interchange. It's well worth the trip.