rllmuk
Wizcat

Arcade Club (Bury and now Leeds)

Went here today with FireproofRadiator. Brilliant!

Looked to be a Tekken 7 tournament running but didn't brave it.

The highlights for me were

Outrun 2
Pop n music
Taiko no tatsujin
Robocop
Bubble bobble
Tempest
Star Wars

Loved it and will be heading back with kid in tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Upvote 5

Second trip last weekend. Took my eight year old for some fun. He loved it though he became that obsessed with the X-men coin op he finished it four times in a row. 

Such a brilliant place!  Can’t wait to get back and try the new music games on floor two. 

I went to their pop-up event in Manchester and it was awesome. Mrs. Treb had never been to a 'proper' arcade full of games before, and was completely blown away.

...She couldn't' stop marvelling over Space Harrier...

...You couldn't drag her off Pac-Man...

...She became obsessed with vector graphics after seeing Asteroids on a vector monitor for the first time ever...

The whole thing was great. Can't wait to take her to the full experience. 

• Upvote 2

Back here this Friday, taking my brother for his 50th birthday. We *will* finish Bubble Bobble in 9 credits or less(!). It's sad that it clashes with Mario day but Arcade Club is worth a visit any time. Might even check out floor 2 this time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, carleton said:

Back here this Friday, taking my brother for his 50th birthday. We *will* finish Bubble Bobble in 9 credits or less(!). It's sad that it clashes with Mario day but Arcade Club is worth a visit any time. Might even check out floor 2 this time.

Floor 2 is great, you should really make time for it. During my last visit spent pretty much all my time on floor 2.

3 hours ago, RK1D said:

Floor 2 is great, you should really make time for it. During my last visit spent pretty much all my time on floor 2.

I was speaking to Andy last time I was there (I know him from way back) and he joked I was probably too old! ;)

3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

:o

What's on floor 2? I HAVE TO KNOW!

https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/floor-two/

i've been meaning to go for a while now, but i'm not that much into the older arcade games - maybe why i kept putting it off, seeing that floor 2 stuff i need to get down there asap! spotted a wild ketsui in the pics - can anyone confirm that's still there?

On 26/10/2017 at 11:53, Soulstar said:

You finally going then Lorf? I've not been for a bit actually. 

Went this afternoon. Pretty good day out and quite well priced at £15 for both floors. Spent ages playing Ironman Stewarts Super Off Road and even got a go on Mario Odyssey. Food was good and saved us having to wander away to get something to eat.  Parking is pretty poor though but was able to find something on a nearby side street.

I did take a load of pictures but the light was really low so they looked terrible. Does add to that arcade feel though!

One thing I didn't notice which really annoyed was a couple of people really abusing the kit.  One guy (must have been about 45) couldn't figure out how to use the PS4 VR headset and slammed it down on the desk, really drove it into the table before storming off.  Another really... big woman (I'm being nice there) with heels on was using a dancing arcade cab, matching the colours on screen. She was leaping a foot in the air each time and hitting that deck like it was a trampoline. The sound of the clanging heels filled the venue :lol: I don't know how it survived.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

One thing I didn't notice which really annoyed was a couple of people really abusing the kit.  One guy (must have been about 45) couldn't figure out how to use the PS4 VR headset and slammed it down on the desk, really drove it into the table before storming off.  Another really... big woman (I'm being nice there) with heels on was using a dancing arcade cab, matching the colours on screen. She was leaping a foot in the air each time and hitting that deck like it was a trampoline. The sound of the clanging heels filled the venue :lol: I don't know how it survived.

This is one of things that concerns me about Arcade Club - that it could become a victim of it's own success.

When it was just classic arcade cabs it very much appealed to a niche market who really appreciated how special a collection like that is.
Now he's branching out into modern consoles and attracting a far wider audience you'll get more people who won't respect what's there or the accepted standards of behaviour, and once you're having to fund equipment with a short lifespan that depreciates (unlike the retro stuff) then balancing costs and income is trickier.

1 minute ago, Vespa Alex said:

This is one of things that concerns me about Arcade Club - that it could become a victim of it's own success.

When it was just classic arcade cabs it very much appealed to a niche market who really appreciated how special a collection like that is.
Now he's branching out into modern consoles and attracting a far wider audience you'll get more people who won't respect what's there or the accepted standards of behaviour, and once you're having to fund equipment with a short lifespan that depreciates (unlike the retro stuff) then balancing costs and income is trickier.

Well not really. The top floor is all classic/retro arcades and the other is modern gaming. The two are extremely well split, you can pay to go to each on its own or as a double. Both floors were pretty packed and didn't see any abuse on the retro floor, people were respecting it.

54 minutes ago, Pob said:

How busy does this get on a Saturday? Does it make it a pain in the arse to get a good go on stuff?

People are moving about and tend not to hog machines so you should get on everything.  I was there for several hours on a sat afternoon and didn't have problems.

Went here last weekend. It is largely excellent - the retro room is a real labour of love, had a great time reliving my late nineties summer holiday playing Police Trainer and Hard Drivin'.

The modern arcade floor had some real volume issues - was almost impossible to hear the Taiko no Tatsujin cab, but there was another non-rhythm game nearby that was on full volume. Couple of the shmups (Ketsui and the Korean one next to DoDonPachi) both had broken parts that rendered them unplayable...

...It's unfortunate that most of the stuff I really wanted to play was broken in some fashion, but the vast majority of stuff works great and the place is magnificent. It also has Windjammers, which pretty much makes it worth it regardless of anything else.

• Upvote 2

Went here at the weekend. It's magical. The only way it could be improved is by having Star Trek TNG pinball (which it seems like they used to have). Highlights...

• I FINALLY completed mechanized attack after almost 30 years of hating that me and a mate spent close to £40 between us and got the boss but didn't beat it. Fuck you mechanized attack!
  • Burger time cocktail cabinet whilst eating a £3 burger. Burger time is amazing. I love burger time.
  • Some bizzaro ninteono/sega beat based game that looka A LOT like wario ware. everyone seemed to be ignoring it. No idea why, it was one of the best cabs int here. so silly. [edit] it's "rhythm-tengoku". 
  • The odd namco shooting gallery thing where you shoot real targets and then a mug with the final shot. The mug exploding is one of the best things in any arcade ever.
  • The ridiculously cheap price of drinks.
  • Video pinball. oddly enthralling and I got the high score by some margin.

10 minutes ago, dadrester said:

Went here at the weekend. It's magical. The only way it could be improved is by having Star Trek TNG pinball (which it seems like they used to have). Highlights...

• Some bizzaro ninteono/sega beat based game that looka A LOT like wario ware. everyone seemed to be ignoring it. No idea why, it was one of the best cabs int here. so silly. [edit] it's "rhythm-tengoku". 

Was that the Japanese thing tucked away in the back corner? Was dead when I went in the middle of a saturday. No one went near so probably won't stay.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Was that the Japanese thing tucked away in the back corner? Was dead when I went in the middle of a saturday. No one went near so probably won't stay.

Highly recommend playing it if you get a chance. Might have been the bevvies but we were both properly giggling out loud at it. Very creative and silly.

26 minutes ago, dadrester said:

• The odd namco shooting gallery thing where you shoot real targets and then a mug with the final shot. The mug exploding is one of the best things in any arcade ever.

Is that Lucky and Wild or something?  Seem to remember it being included in the PS2 port of Time Crisis 2 (obvs with a virtual mug).