rllmuk
Wizcat

Arcade Club (Bury and now Leeds)

Finally managed to get to here for the first time on Friday which is suprising it's taken so long considering it takes me about 15 mins to get to Bury on a bus and then 10 min walk from the bus station. Gotta say I was impressed though and briefly spoke to Andy the owner on arrival. He mentioned the second floor and all the PC gaming systems he's added on the new second floor.

Since the only other real gaming place I've been to over the last few years has been Play Expo, I'll compare this to that, partly because I feel I can in a positive way, favour Arcade Club. Firstly it feels like a genuine arcade venue, where as Play Expo feels more like an exhibition situation in a warehouse (as it obviously is), but with AC there is a genuine sense of returning back to how things used to be. Another thing I was impressed with was the overall condition of all the machines. Over at Play there are often many machines falling apart or just not playing responsively enough control wise, however at AC everything pretty much feels like it was back when these things were relevant in most places and current. The Pacman machine felt so good with its controls and spot on. The only fault I came across was after finishing a game on one of the pinball tables, the power went off for a couple of minutes and then reset itself. That Bishi Bashi machine is awsome too and I was also impressed by the low cost of food and drinks. Gonna try and visit more often.

• Upvote 4

I keep meaning to go, only about 30 mins drive away from me! Completely forgot over Xmas but sounds like they've added a lot more so should make for a better visit when I finally get there!

Yeah wouldn't be too difficult, just catch a train to Manchester Piccadilly then over to Bury. 

Unless... would anyone be interested in a forum meet up there? It's open Friday nights and weekends. If there's interest we could do something?

• Upvote 1

So far we have 3 and poss Nathan, I'm sure we can sort a later date if need be. Lets just get some more names and we can come up with an idea from there :) C'mon everyone! Forum meet up time!

I've not actually met anyone in person officially from the forum yet and I've been here almost 10 years. I think I remember you telling me about this place about 2 years ago and I just forgot about it entirely until someone brought it up a few months ago, likely down to seeing some kind of documentary about the place.

• Upvote 1

I think this was one of the most wonderful places on earth. Sure we died on the car journey to Bury and ended up in arcade heaven. Really can't recommend it enough

• Upvote 1

Easter weekend might be a good time? Over that weekend we (Northern Lights Pinball) are running our annual 8bitflip event there, which adds around 50 or so pinball machines to the second floor, along with some social pinball competitions, high score comps and so on.  

We run the pinball event as a non-profit, with proceeds going towards good causes.  More info and tickets: www.8bitflip.co.uk

• Upvote 1

3 hour round trip today for this with the wife and kid in tow.

Totally worth it. Loved every minute. We only managed 3 hours(!) but totally got our money's worth.

I could remember where the enemies were in Time Crisis, but in the 20 years since I last played it I apparently lost the ability to beat it on one credit. But! It's free play! So fuck those bad guys.

• Upvote 2

Just a reminder that our charity event 8bitflip takes place at Arcade Club next weekend (Easter Sat & Sun).  As well as the usual line up of classic arcade cabs we're adding around 50 classic pinball machines, plus one or two of the hottest new machines, such as Alien pinball

You can pay in on the door, or pre-book via www.8bitflip.co.uk

• Upvote 3

First visit today and took part in a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tournament (on the 185" screen). Managed to get to the final, but fucked it :lol:

Then they had the top two from the adult tournament play the top two from the kid's tournament. A young lad, calm as anything, absolutely destroyed everyone and came first in every race. He was basically playing it like a time trial he was that far ahead. Smart stuff.

Had a quick look around the second floor afterwards, played a Cave shooter, then left. They've got PS VRs, loads of PCs with GTX1080s, all kinds. I didn't even get the chance to see the third floor!

Definitely recommended.

• Upvote 2

On 5/14/2017 at 20:32, Paulando said:

Shame this is in the Retro folder as they have plenty of new stuff too, anyone who loves gaming deserves to know about it!

Is there anyone who would object to this thread being moved to Discussion? I think there's an argument for it, but I certainly wouldn't want to move it above the objections of the majority of those who follow it. Let me know what you think.

6 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Is there anyone who would object to this thread being moved to Discussion? I think there's an argument for it, but I certainly wouldn't want to move it above the objections of the majority of those who follow it. Let me know what you think.

Leave it where it is and create a new one there? Or move it there but create a link to it on the page. It'll vanish off Discussion in no time as it's not going to be a very active thread.

24 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Leave it where it is and create a new one there? Or move it there but create a link to it on the page. It'll vanish off Discussion in no time as it's not going to be a very active thread.

I'm inclined to leave it to be honest. We just received a report suggesting the move, so I thought I'd bring it up.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

This is a good point actually.