rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
John0

RLLMUK Hearthstone Tournament #2

Oh great, I'm in Donk's group.

I'll make sure my friend list is up to date when I'm on later this evening. When you say decks are not to be changed mid-match, do you mean that we are to pick a deck, then play best of three, without making any changes at all?

Yeah, I don't really want it to be a fixed rule, but what with us not playing deck submissions/fixed decks, then I guess technically you could quit out after every game and tweak your deck depending on what your opponent just played. I don't know how everyone else feels? But I think we should try not to do this if possible... it slows things down and you're sort of making someone sit and wait while you chop and change. Obviously if both players want to do that, then it's fine, but I just think we should try and avoid it if possible. Feel free to say if you disagree though :).

I'll make sure my friend list is up to date when I'm on later this evening. When you say decks are not to be changed mid-match, do you mean that we are to pick a deck, then play best of three, without making any changes at all?

Just re-read this. Oh no, switching decks I think should be totally fine, even if you've just won. It's the actual editing of decks I was referring to. Does that make sense?

Just re-read this. Oh no, switching decks I think should be totally fine, even if you've just won. It's the actual editing of decks I was referring to. Does that make sense?

Yes, thanks. Fine with that.

I probably won't be available until Thursday. I'm doing learning things tonight and tomorrow, but Thursday night I should have time to get some games played if anyone from my group is up for it?

Also as much as I want to play serious, in pretty sure my fun but usually rubbish priest deck is going to have to be one of my decks, purely because when it does win, it's the most fun I have in the game... Yeah I'm stupid.

I'll be around tomorrow (wednesday) evening/night for anyone who wants to get some games played in group 1! Need to make some changes first I think but I have a couple of nice decks now that seem to work OK. Probably until I play Donk.

Oh, and if win percentage counts, do we play the third game if it's already 2-0? Or does that end the match?

I'll be around tomorrow (wednesday) evening/night for anyone who wants to get some games played in group 1! Need to make some changes first I think but I have a couple of nice decks now that seem to work OK. Probably until I play Donk.

Oh, and if win percentage counts, do we play the third game if it's already 2-0? Or does that end the match?

I think we stop at 2-0. It's still all fair in terms of win % (though I guess winning 2-0 becomes quite a bit better than winning 2-1).. unless anyone disagrees?

Also if someone forfeits it just counts as a win, but won't affect your win %.

I dunno, I guess these things aren't 100% completely fair... but I think it's better to err on the side of simplicity.

Fine with that, makes sense. So we stop when Donk is winning 2:0 :)

Tried some ranked games with one of my decks this morning and they sucked the fat one. RNG is a huge factor isn't it, but I suppose that adds to the fun. And through a game I can also see where I make bad decisions, so I need to improve on that as well

Evening all. For those in my group, I'll possibly be on late tonight (11pm onwards) and then can be available any time Thursday evening. Looking forward to another sound beating from donk after having the fortune to meet him in the opening round last time out!

Managed to get my games against Neg (Thirnova) played. I managed a 2-0 win after some extremely swingy games. Then the bonus match we played with mill mage vs reincarnate shaman was all over the place until I mass produced sludge belcher, that one was fun, though Deathwing still scares me every time he's played....

I beat strawdonkey.

No, really. 2-1 to me.

I had read somewhere in the main Hearthstone thread that he had been experimenting with Priest, so I was half expecting it, but I was worried when I saw we had both chosen to find victory in The Light. I have been doing very badly in Priest mirror matches in ranked recently, so coupled with the fact my first match was against the undefeated champ, I was concerned.

I lost the first match, and I'm certain Donk will be more than glad to post the video for you all to enjoy later, as I spectacularly blew my side of the board up in a classic Auchenai Soulpriest reversal, the likes of which I was talking about only the other day. I was behind at that point anyway, but when I saw what I had done, I was literally cradling my face in my palms.

Match 2 went much better for me. I drew well, and capitalised on my card draw and healing opportunities to squeeze every last bit of value I could from my minions. Given the nature of today's Priest decks, and how quickly a board position can be reversed, I did not fully expect I had a chance to win until our decks were down to the single digits, and I knew from our previous game what might be left in his hand. When I finally won, my relief was palpable.

The third match saw Donk switch to a Hunter deck not entirely dissimilar from the one he used in the first tournament. I was glad in a way, because this is what I had trained for, I've had a lot of practice against aggressive Hunters in ranked play. There were a few surprises in there though, which nearly caught me off guard, and had I not had such a great opening hand it may be that Donk might still be undefeated.

Strawdonkey is an extremely good player, and knows his decks very well. I am both looking forward to and dreading the possibility of playing against him again. But he's not invincible folks! If you flip him over, you can expose his weak point and strike for massive damage.

• Upvote 1

Just a clarification on the rules then. So we have 2 decks which are effectively our lives, and we can pick which one we want each game, and when they both lose, we're defeated. Right?

I beat strawdonkey.

No, really. 2-1 to me.

Amateur. Mute beat me 2-0 :)

It's been a pretty dismal night of Hearthstone for me, but it also shows just how consistent the deck I played in the first tournament was. I don't think there was ever a time that I looked at an opening hand and it was complete garbage, but with the more sophisticated decks I'm playing this time around, you sometimes just draw a hand full of five-drops and it is quite saddening.

Not to take away from the solid play of Mute and revlob - with the exception of #CircleGate they've been great opponents. Even if they did beat me.

Twats.

GGs all around so far - going to play Vorgot in a second...

• Upvote 1