rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
John0

RLLMUK Hearthstone Tournament #2

:omg:

Google spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fUIHSlOC5kvHo6ttFJ8E3R9dliL3-7HYCllvBEnbYs/edit?usp=sharing

(message me if you want write access on the spreadsheet)

--------------------

Rules:

• No restrictions on legendaries or decks, no bans, any player can change decks after any game, even if they just won.
  • All cards are allowed, even if new one's are released mid-tournament, or there are nerfs, etc...
  • Not a hard and fast rule, but I think we should try and not edit decks (swap cards in and out) mid-match as a courtesy to your opponent. Just so no one's waiting around while someone's tweaking decks.

Format:

• Top 2 go through from each group.
  • The next 2 people with the highest individual game win percentages (as in individual games, not just whole matches) go through with them. So every game counts. But matches can still finish 2-0 (I think this makes sense, right?)
  • If two or more people are tied on win % we'll have to have playoffs.
  • Each match is best of 3 games.
  • If someone has won the first two games, then there's no need to play the third game.
  • Upvote 1

I think a time limit is appropriate, but to whom do you award the match in that scenario?

Yeah it's difficult, I guess we'd have to go for some sort of gentleman's agreement...? Can't really come up with a better answer at the moment...

Street Fighter tournaments usually use the following for group into knockout events:

- Groups of however many

- First place goes into knockout in winners bracket

- Second place goes into knockout in losers bracket

You might be able to make it so that the top 2 go into winners and third into losers, or just have top however many qualify for the knockout stages. Depends how you feel about someone losing a match in groups and then making it into Winners Finals or Grand Finals in the winners bracket.

PS don't forget to finish the results for the first event on Challonge ;)

As far as organisation goes, the RLLMUK Football League have a decent system - just ensure that all arrangements are made publicly. They have a site for it rather than a thread, but it'll give an impression of whether one player has been trying to arrange something and the other hasn't, or whether an extension is needed, etc.

Signed.

I don't like time limits but at the same time we probably don't want it going on till next Easter. 2 weeks, perhaps. With a warning PM sent out (to both players) after the first week if the match hasn't played out yet (someone would have to keep an eye and do that).

Who is this 'deerjason' who has signed up?

Legend ranked and doesn't have an account on RLLMUK?

(But does appear to have taken part in numerous HS tournaments online, from googling him. But also appears to be on NA...)

(But does appear to have taken part in numerous HS tournaments online, from googling him. But also appears to be on NA...)

My gut reaction would be to not let anyone enter who hasn't been on rllmuk for at least a little bit (or known to one of us) and who appears to be quite a bit more of a serious player than any of us.

Sound ok to everyone?

I don't like time limits but at the same time we probably don't want it going on till next Easter. 2 weeks, perhaps. With a warning PM sent out (to both players) after the first week if the match hasn't played out yet (someone would have to keep an eye and do that).

Anyone want to volunteer to be a sort of admin, along these lines?

Cool, thanks! We'll figure out time limits for games when we've got a better idea of the new format. Probably be something like, try to get all group games done within 3 weeks.. then max 1 week per game for the knockout round...

Will leave it a little while longer to see if we get anymore sign ups.. then I'll try and create a format...

My gut reaction would be to not let anyone enter who hasn't been on rllmuk for at least a little bit (or known to one of us) and who appears to be quite a bit more of a serious player than any of us.

Sound ok to everyone?

I don't necessarily mind how serious he is, but the point of the tourney is some fun with the people we've been chatting to in the thread surely...

So def up for booting him :)

A player called Deerjason was one series away from qualifying for the World Championships that are running at the moment, pls no.

Haha. Yeah I recognised the name whilst they were doing re-runs of the qualifiers before the World Champs stream on twitch... Wonder how he found us. But yeah, thanks but no thanks :).

• Upvote 1

Right. What with the new expansion announced we'd better try and get this show on the road.

There are 13 or us. So I was thinking 3 groups or 4, 4 and 5 people. With the winners from each group going through to the semi-finals. And the person with the highest average win % (of all individual games) joining them. How does that sound to everyone? It means everyone gets a decent amount of games in, but also it shouldn't drag on for months and months.

Either that, or three groups of three and one of four, with the winners of each group making a top 8 in winners' bracket, and the second place finishers in losers' bracket?

I don't really mind either way - just throwing an alternative out there :)

Either that, or three groups of three and one of four, with the winners of each group making a top 8 in winners' bracket, and the second place finishers in losers' bracket?

I don't really mind either way - just throwing an alternative out there :)

Would having three groups rather than four make it less likely that any two players get locked up waiting for each other? If so, do that.

Yeah, my worry was that groups of three do less to solve the problem of the lockups. We could still try and make a bracket of 8 to finish it off though. In fact, let's do that, and if it doesn't work out so well re-evaluate. I'll try and do the draw tonight and outline exactly how it's going to work, and we'll get cracking.

I think I like a format that involves 8 going through instead of 4, it will mean less chance of pointless games towards the end. 4,4,5, top two from each plus best two win percentages not already qualified?

What's the format for the actual matches, best of 3/5, class picks/bans etc?

Last time we played BO3 (in the interests of time) and didn't have any format that involved submitting decks and bans and so forth, and just kept it simple and said you can just play anything at any time. So the winner of the previous game can change decks if they want. I think it would be good if people didn't edit their decks in between games though if at all possible.

Unless everyone would like to try set decks and bans and things this time around?

Bans?

In most pro tournaments there is a class ban system. So you bring say four classes (one deck per class), and each player is allowed to veto one of the opponent's classes, leaving three decks each, and then you play a best of 5 with the winning deck staying on.

I'm fine with keeping it simple for this though.

I did a "live" draw... :unsure:

Apologies to anyone I might have called "he" who isn't a he. I follow FemFreq and went to see Bridget Christie the other week and everything. How could I hate women? My Mum's one. And so forth. Sorry.

Spoilers for those who don't want to sit through me struggling to think of things to say while doing the draw...

Group 1: Vorgot, Wintermute, SomethingWitty, Strawdonkey, Revlob

Group 2: Mr Cochese, Shewasmadeofchips, RJames, And

Group 3: Rab Myself, Terria, Neg, John0

I'll make a google spreadsheet over lunch. Anyone who wants to, feel free send me your gmail and I'll add you with write access.

Format:

- Top 2 go through from each group.

- The next 2 people with the highest individual game win percentages (as in individual games, not just whole matches) go through with them. So every game counts. But matches can still finish 2-0 (I think this makes sense, right?)

- Each match is best of 3 games.

- No restrictions on legendaries or decks, no bans, any player can change decks after any game, even if they just won. But try not to edit decks (swap cards in and out) mid-match as a courtesy to your opponent. Unless you both want to, I guess.

Any questions, or anything I've missed, please say!

Let the games begin!

• Upvote 5