Return of the Obra Dinn

• 1 month later...

I'm enjoying this a lot but have hit a bit of a wall. I've uncovered all the corpses that are circled in your notebook, except for the one in the Lazarette, which is padlocked. I've looked all over the ship for a key but I haven't been able to find one, and I can't solve any more fates unless I start making guesses based on what I perceive to be a person's race, nationality or their role on the ship. I 'completed' the game but probably got the worst ending as I only solved 21 fates, so I've rewound to have another go.

Can anyone give me a hint on how to get into the Lazerette? Am I missing something obvious?

Just now, Jamie John said:

I'm enjoying this a lot but have hit a bit of a wall. I've uncovered all the corpses that are circled in your notebook, except for the one in the Lazarette, which is padlocked. I've looked all over the ship for a key but I haven't been able to find one, and I can't solve any more fates unless I start making guesses based on what I perceive to be a person's race, nationality or their role on the ship. I 'completed' the game but probably got the worst ending as I only solved 21 fates, so I've rewound to have another go.

Can anyone give me a hint on how to get into the Lazerette? Am I missing something obvious?

Don't worry about the lazarette at all. It's endgame stuff.

2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Don't worry about the lazarette at all. It's endgame stuff.

Oh.

Do I just need to start making guesses now, then, until I happen to get the message saying 'Well done'? I've seen all the cutscenes (I think, anyway) apart from those in the eighth chapter, which is still sealed, and the lazarette chapter.

I can't remember the specifics, sorry. I do remember that I didn't need to guess until the last handful, though. There was always something to help me find my way. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is there a way to replay a memory without having to walk to and re-inspect the relevant corpse?

No. This upset me a little at first, then I realised if this wasn’t the case, the game would just be playing cutscenes from a menu.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Without wanting to give too many details, in scenes when shit really kicks off, it's worth investigating the fringes of each memory scene, it might give you some clues as to what happened to a number of the crew.

Just now, Cheyenne said:

Without wanting to give too many details, in scenes when shit really kicks off, it's worth investigating the fringes of each memory scene, it might give you some clues as to what happened to a number of the crew.

Yep, I'm going through all the memories now again chronologically and I've already picked up on some little details that have helped me solve 6 more cases :rolleyes:. I guess I just wasn't sure if this is what the game actually wanted me to do or not and whether I needed to poke about everywhere for a key to the lazarette padlock.

The investigation continues!

The game had a deluge of moments for me when something just clicked and made sense. Or when you notice something and it sets off a chain reaction in your head of how you can apply this thinking in other ways. Sometimes it is slightly brute forced, but it's done with a logic attached, and when a hunch pays off it feels soooooooo satisfying.

14 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

The game had a deluge of moments for me when something just clicked and made sense. Or when you notice something and it sets off a chain reaction in your head of how you can apply this thinking in other ways. Sometimes it is slightly brute forced, but it's done with a logic attached, and when a hunch pays off it feels soooooooo satisfying.

That audio cue when you get the well done message is magical. What a game this is. Wish I could wipe my memory and play it again. 

• 3 weeks later...

I completed this with all 60 fates a couple of weeks ago, but have only just got around to reviewing it. I've linked to my thoughts on it in the Completed Games thread, if anyone's interested:

TL;DR: Yeah, it's fantastic :) 

26 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I honestly think this would be one of my top 10 games ever made. An absolutely captivating experience. 

Same, it reminds me of when I had my C64 and I'd see games like Another World running on a friend's Amiga for the first time, nothing like it.

On 03/02/2021 at 09:14, Stoppy2000 said:

That audio cue when you get the well done message is magical. What a game this is. Wish I could wipe my memory and play it again. 

I'm replaying this now as sufficient time has passed since I completed this game for the details of who everyone is to have slipped my memory.  All I remembered was that of the 2 women passengers one just looks older & therefore is more likely to be called 'Miss'.

I have a UI question though. When someone's face becomes unblurred, is that the game telling you that sufficient information has been revealed in the memories to identify them (whether you noticed it or not) & if you don't have an ID for that person at this point, it's time to start backtracking through the memories you've opened so far?

6 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I have a UI question though. When someone's face becomes unblurred, is that the game telling you that sufficient information has been revealed in the memories to identify them (whether you noticed it or not) & if you don't have an ID for that person at this point, it's time to start backtracking through the memories you've opened so far?

Yes, although you don't need to id them as soon as they become unblurred.