Return of the Obra Dinn

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

You need to look at everything to figure out who's who. The character image will be unfocused if you don't have enough information to guess. My advice would be to witness as many deaths as possible to get as much information as possible. You'll hear a random name dropped, or an accent which will hint at certain people and you'll slowly start working it all out. Very slowly. I think it took me about 20 hours or so before I saw the credits. 

Yeah, I can see I could guess some names with, say, 50/50 chance, like 

Spoiler

the person killing the Danish guy for allegedly killing their brother. There are only two seamen with the same name in the roster. Similarly, I have a good idea who the two women leaving the guest quarters in an early scene could be.

But it looks like images in pictures come into focus before you have 100% chance of identifying the person. Is that true?

I got my first 3 fates! I’m still unsure of how or why progress is triggered, and I seem to be whizzing through chapters without really picking up any clues, but I get the basic premise. Looking forward to more insurance-based sleuthing. 

I think it's perfectly fine to keep plodding on and uncover more of the story at first. Once you've got the gist of the whole thing you can revisit and really start to look at the details. I only ticked off a handful of obvious ones on a first pass.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

It’s making a lot more sense on my second attempt. I managed to solve the initial three deaths based on clues that I completely overlooked the first time, and got another three a bit later on too. I’ve gone from entertained but confused to completely hooked.

Great stuff ^_^

It starts off with some easy ones, but you’ll end up just going through the memories one after another because they don’t contain enough information on their own. It’s easier to make matches when you have full chapters, or even the full story. And that’s absolutely fine.

Use the rule of three to your advantage too. If there are two you’re sure of, and one that could be a few, match the two and then make a few educated guesses for the third.

The ship drawing is useful. Look at what uniforms people are wearing and who they’re stood next to.

One of the most satisfying gaming moments is when this game pauses for a second, goes black, then confirms you have three matches with that lovely tune :wub:

I’ve now “finished” the story in that I’ve seen the events in all the chapters (apart from The Bargain obvs) but without solving any more cases beyond those initial six. So now I guess it’s a matter of backtracking through the story (forwards this time?) and seeing what I missed. The old bloke called me back into his rowing boat and is keen to leave but I’m not going anywhere just yet.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Great stuff ^_^

It starts off with some easy ones, but you’ll end up just going through the memories one after another because they don’t contain enough information on their own. It’s easier to make matches when you have full chapters, or even the full story. And that’s absolutely fine.

Use the rule of three to your advantage too. If there are two you’re sure of, and one that could be a few, match the two and then make a few educated guesses for the third.

The ship drawing is useful. Look at what uniforms people are wearing and who they’re stood next to.

One of the most satisfying gaming moments is when this game pauses for a second, goes black, then confirms you have three matches with that lovely tune :wub:

Yeah. I'm up to nine, now. OK for a few hours play tonight, and a bit last night.

Haven't unlocked chapters 1, 3, 4, 5, yet.

One tip on Switch - press the right stick/R3 to 'look' at someone in scene, then X will take you their picture in the ship scenes

This is great.  I've got 12 so far....

Spoiler

Lim died on the boat in the mermaid thing attack - she was bitten in the neck.  But I don't know how to enter that into the death reasons... Am I on the right tracks?

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

This is great.  I've got 12 so far....

Hide contents

Lim died on the boat in the mermaid thing attack - she was bitten in the neck.  But I don't know how to enter that into the death reasons... Am I on the right tracks?

Yeah, almost there. Take another close look.

Spoiler

It's a tad ambiguous as to what part of the creature is causing the actual damage. My original thought wasn't correct because it would have been bloodless...

That was a great scene to work on - I totally missed the fates of a couple of people altogether, and you have to really pay attention to the order in which events actually happened in order to work out who died when.

Given this about 30mins or so after going in relatively cold, aside from seeing some rave review scores and a few screenshots.  It’s pretty special even after playing for just a little bit.  I'm being bombarded with brilliant ideas!

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Just made a start on this and am feeling a little bit overwhelmed. Have got 3 so far and don’t seem much closer to getting any more!

Just unlock memories. Most of them can’t be guessed until you can cross reference to a number of other memories.

This is a brilliant video for anyone new to the game. At the start there’s a spoiler for the very first memory, which isn’t really a spoiler, and then there’s a huge spoiler warning a few minutes into it. I don’t recommend watching beyond that if you’ve never played it, but it would give you a few more tips if you’re really stuck:

After watching this again, he points out something I completely missed first time:

Spoiler

The wedding ring. A cool little touch.

Thanks. I’ll keep going and try to figure it out before I watch that video. It seems to not like quick resume on my Xbox. Very much. Been playing about 1h20 and have had it just freeze up completely twice now. 

I had one glitch on Switch; following a smoke trail while in a death scene, it seemed to drop back to the mode that showed all the bodies, but without the watch. So I couldn't do anything.

Exit and restart did the trick.

I got this on the recommendation of this thread and I'm absolutely hooked. As well as being in awe at how good the game is I'm kind of blown away by the aesthetics, the soundtrack, the voice acting, the visual design, it's just absolutely incredible. Then on top of that it's a game that makes you feel clever for solving something, which is just so rare in this day and age. I'm at 15 solves now and kind of want to slow down just to make sure I don't finish it too quickly.

Three more solved this evening taking me to nine, and now the mechanics have properly clicked (using bookmarks etc.) I can see myself spending many more hours scouring these scenes.

Oh, yes, you will; this is addictive.

36 down... I totally cheesed one set of three:

Spoiler

I basically just retried the list of nearest places for a boat to escape to for all of them, and got my 'three confirmed' in one hit.

The confirmation when you get three is tactically useful, too; I got one earlier because I had two rock-solid deductions in the bank, and a 50/50 'guess'. So I just tried both options and got the right one confirmed as a hit. Which gave me the identity of the other person as well by elimination.

Got 30 fates now... absolutely convinced I know who the Bosun’s mate is but it’s just not clicking so I must be wrong...

Spoiler

Just noticed 3 guys being flung from the boat in chapter 7 of The Doom... again, convinced I’ve got all 3 of them, but the magic book says no....

Yeah, got the Bosun, but have not worked out which other person nearby in various scenes is his mate.

One good thing about binging it - you keep much more of it in your head. I'd hate to drop this and come back a week later...

Anyone else noticed

Spoiler

the sparkle that seems to be sitting out to sea? Clearly the same kind of sparkle as the shells.

10 minutes ago, smac said:

And another 3 down at lunchtime. Including one of the 3 guys @scottcr mentioned in his spoiler, in that location. What cause of death did you have?

I've tried

Spoiler

drowned by a beast and fallen overboard...  I'm sure I've got all 3 of them based on everyone else in that scene

Bosun's mate spoiler

Spoiler

He talks about 'Frenchie' before he dies... there's only one French person on board and he gets torn in two by the kraken.  Bosun also gets told that his mate got torn to bits... so I had the heavy tattooed guy as his mate.  But I've had that now for a number of 'well dones' and it's never been him   

Chapter 2 spoiler - I felt really clever when

Spoiler

when I eventually worked out how to use the hammock numbers to identify folks!  Seems so obvious now but was stuck on that for ages.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

I've tried

Reveal hidden contents

drowned by a beast and fallen overboard...  I'm sure I've got all 3 of them based on everyone else in that scene

Bosun's mate spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

He talks about 'Frenchie' before he dies... there's only one French person on board and he gets torn in two by the kraken.  Bosun also gets told that his mate got torn to bits... so I had the heavy tattooed guy as his mate.  But I've had that now for a number of 'well dones' and it's never been him   

Chapter 2 spoiler - I felt really clever when

Reveal hidden contents

when I eventually worked out how to use the hammock numbers to identify folks!  Seems so obvious now but was stuck on that for ages.

Well, you're on the right tracks with the three guys in question; one of those reasons matches mine.

Bosun's mate:

Spoiler

Nah, you got a couple of things wrong for that bloke. Try working out an alternative job based on where else you find him.

Yeah, that particular Ch 2 spoiler is given away immediately after the spoiler alert in that video @Paulando posted; I'm steering clear of that whole thing until I'm done.