IGNORED

Return of the Obra Dinn

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Played a few hours of this last night with the Mrs after treating myself to it for Christmas and absolutely loved it. A bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of clues and scenes it throws at you once you're out of the tutorial but what an atmosphere! Great fun talking through it together.

Can't wait to head back in once the kids are in bed tonight.

I think I ultimately respect this more than I enjoy it and I'm disappointed (in myself) to admit it. I generally enjoy my sessions but I find the idea of playing it so stressful that I very rarely do - it's a really bizarre reaction I've only ever had with this game.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/12/2019 at 14:41, Yasawas said:

I think I ultimately respect this more than I enjoy it and I'm disappointed (in myself) to admit it. I generally enjoy my sessions but I find the idea of playing it so stressful that I very rarely do - it's a really bizarre reaction I've only ever had with this game.

How long have you played it for? It took a few hours to click for me, and I found it really tough going at first, despite loving the aesthetic  and structure and being desperate to like it!

Once it clicked I absolutely loved it.

44 minutes ago, kempstar said:

How long have you played it for? It took a few hours to click for me, and I found it really tough going at first, despite loving the aesthetic  and structure and being desperate to like it!

Once it clicked I absolutely loved it.

More than five hours. I don't think it's going to happen for me now, it's been too long.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Holy crap I just got my first three typeset entries in the book.

I’m trying to convince my wife to play this with me, but she has no interest video games. I find this very frustrating as it’s what pays the mortgage. Trying to sell this as a very elaborate version of Cluedo which just so happens to be digital. Wish me luck. 

This took me a fair old while to finish with a bit of a lull in the middle that felt like Desperation Poirot :D , however I will say this is one of those games that got me thinking about it when I wasn't playing it.

I think it's incredible and one of the best games I've played this generation.

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought this game was a bit of a ‘one shot deal’, something you play through once and then never again, but here I am playing through it for a second time on the Switch. I remember a few things - the odd clue here and there, and some of the story beats - but I’m putting in as much work figuring out who everyone is as I did the first time. What a wonderfully constructed game, one of the best I’ve played for sure.

Story-wise, it does so much with so little, and drip feeds little tidbits out of order, with nothing but some audio clips, 3D dioramas, and two colours, yet it’s one of the most engrossing I’ve ever experienced in a game. Lucas Pope really knocked it out of the park with this one; an all-time classic for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/07/2020 at 16:45, shirubagan said:

I’m enjoying this despite the fact that I don’t have a clue what I’m doing, what is going on or what any of the buttons do. 

I bought this in the Switch sale on Friday and I think this sums up my feelings perfectly. I’ve played maybe two or three hours and I don’t really know what I’m doing. I don’t think I’ve solved anybody’s mysteries yet and I’m quite confused by the mechanics of the game itself, in that there are numerous “phases” (looking around in the “present,” the vignette and static scene of a death, having to find another corpse in the same scene, then following the smoke to the same corpse you’ve just found, and so on) so I never have any idea what I’m supposed to be doing. I’m quite tempted to start again and see if I missed any tutorial info that would make it all make sense.

I love the presentation and atmosphere, but I’m struggling to understand how to actually play it!

The game actually does a fantastic job in the first few memories of teaching you the mechanics, as it’s obvious who everyone is and how they died. It even explains things at several points with text boxes, so perhaps you missed something. Start again, maybe? Or read a ‘getting started’ guide on IGN?

Yeah, I think I got distracted during the early stages and didn’t pick up on everything it was telling me. I’ll start again, it’s not like I’ve lost hours and this time round I’ll have a (slightly) better idea what I’m doing.

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

The game actually does a fantastic job in the first few memories of teaching you the mechanics, as it’s obvious who everyone is and how they died. It even explains things at several points with text boxes, so perhaps you missed something. Start again, maybe? Or read a ‘getting started’ guide on IGN?

I also bought it in the sale. Is it really obvious who the first people are? If so I think I might be too dumb to play.

Spoiler

I got the first guy - the captain, right? That one struck me as tutorial-easy... but not the guys attacking him, I don’t know who they are. 

Bought in the sale after @HarryBizzle posted - ta.

I got the first three easily, too - but it just now filled in all the 'conclusions' boxes for the next scene, showing a bunch of Xs and a couple of /// characters: XXXX///.

I only have one name and a bunch of fates, but it's showing several people as not blurred in the pictures. So where am I in that part of the story? Do I need to backtrack and look for more clues? Should I be able to work out more people? What's the general approach to take?

You need to look at everything to figure out who's who. The character image will be unfocused if you don't have enough information to guess. My advice would be to witness as many deaths as possible to get as much information as possible. You'll hear a random name dropped, or an accent which will hint at certain people and you'll slowly start working it all out. Very slowly. I think it took me about 20 hours or so before I saw the credits. 

It’s making a lot more sense on my second attempt. I managed to solve the initial three deaths based on clues that I completely overlooked the first time, and got another three a bit later on too. I’ve gone from entertained but confused to completely hooked.