rllmuk
TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Return of the Obra Dinn

It’s a perfect fit for the Switch. I took my laptop round to the in-laws’ last Christmas just to play it. Such a wonderfully constructed game.

This is out on consoles now. I started it earlier on the Switch and it seems to run perfectly. It's an interesting mystery, I'm just wandering around seeing what has happened before I start trying to figure out who is who. 

13 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

How long did it take people to play through this? Trying to work out if I’ll have time to play through before The Outer Limits.

I think it took me about 8-10 hours. It's at the final stages of the game, when you've only got a few gaps left in your book, that you might end up getting stumped. At that point its down to your clue hunting and deduction skills and that can take quite a while so your mileage may vary.

Edit - according to Steam I've played it for 16 hours but a good chunk of that was doing the completionist stuff or being AFK.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

I think it took me about 8-10 hours. It's at the final stages of the game, when you've only got a few gaps left in your book, that you might end up getting stumped. At that point its down to your clue hunting and deduction skills and that can take quite a while so your mileage may vary.

Edit - according to Steam I've played it for 16 hours but a good chunk of that was doing the completionist stuff or being AFK.

That sounds perfect. Thanks for the reply. 

I didn't know a thing about this other than what it looked like, it was an investigative adventure thing and everybody loves it. 15 minutes and I'm excited and baffled in all sorts of lovely ways, this looks extraordinary. 

1 minute ago, tobert said:

Would this be a good game to play with a mate together on ps4 share play? We did this with the witness and it was ace.

I imagine it would be an incredible game to play with someone else, working out who is who and what each part of the story means.

• Upvote 2

I was trying to stay away from this thread and proceed as blindly as possible but I've had a complex reaction to the first couple of hours to the game and buckled - it's been funny and reassuring to see how I'm not alone. 

Initially I was absolutely stunned by the look and the concept of it, with the opening hour or so giving you some easy fates to get the hang of things. The second hour though is much more complicated, and for someone like me who likes to do as much as he can in an area before moving on to a new thing, is a little anxiety-inducing almost. It feels like I'm seeing a lot but not accomplishing anything beyond marking up the easy deaths and the controls and the way you navigate between scenes is still a little confusing to me. I'm going along with it for now on the idea that this is kind of the point though, is that fair? I can see a few posts from people who felt it a bit aimless after a few hours then had "one more go" and it basically changed their lives. I'm essentially treating it like a really hard Picross puzzle where all the guide numbers are annoyingly small but then you eventually get three along the edge after half an hour and it all starts to come together and you feel like a genius. 

42 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I was trying to stay away from this thread and proceed as blindly as possible but I've had a complex reaction to the first couple of hours to the game and buckled - it's been funny and reassuring to see how I'm not alone. 

Initially I was absolutely stunned by the look and the concept of it, with the opening hour or so giving you some easy fates to get the hang of things. The second hour though is much more complicated, and for someone like me who likes to do as much as he can in an area before moving on to a new thing, is a little anxiety-inducing almost. It feels like I'm seeing a lot but not accomplishing anything beyond marking up the easy deaths and the controls and the way you navigate between scenes is still a little confusing to me. I'm going along with it for now on the idea that this is kind of the point though, is that fair? I can see a few posts from people who felt it a bit aimless after a few hours then had "one more go" and it basically changed their lives. I'm essentially treating it like a really hard Picross puzzle where all the guide numbers are annoyingly small but then you eventually get three along the edge after half an hour and it all starts to come together and you feel like a genius. 

My playthrough was in bite-sized chunks for a while, and it felt like your description. I was seeing and pulling together a lot of information but not getting any results. It was only when I committed to pencilling more stuff in and, vitally, spent longer with it than the odd twenty minutes here and there, that it all fell into place.

I played all the way through this at the weekend, and agree that the first hour or two after the tutorial can be a bit of a struggle. I appreciate it tries to maintain as much mystery as possible, but there were a couple of mechanics I thought could have been clearer, namely:

1. The first time you view a death-scene, is there something specific you need to do to exit it? (The answer seems to be no, it just closes after a set amount of time, but to start off with I thought maybe I needed to view the victim from a certain perspective or similar to close the scene).

2. Are there specific groups of three deaths that you need to solve together, or just any three? (It's the latter).

My general advice would be don't worry about solving things to start off with, just explore and get as many clues as you can. It's fine to have a massive stack of mystery deaths, you don't need to solve them as you go along.

I loved it by the time I finished, it's probably my favourite game I've played this year, so it's definitely worth sticking with.

Yeah, you’ve just got to let go and soldier on. You’ll find clues in later memories that help you in others. Work through the story and enjoy it - it’s a fascinating tale with many surprises, and so much is conveyed in the audio clips and frozen dioramas.

Use the rule-of-three to your advantage. If you’re 100% sure about two, and a third is a toss-up between a few, don’t be afraid to have a few guesses.

I finished this on my own and then showed it to some mates and it was interesting to see other ways of piecing together the clues, it's a great game. 

I'd happily play another tale of the magic time travelling insurance person. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yasawas said:

When you're reviewing the transcripts, do the lines of dialogue with a cross beside them indicate they were spoken by the deceased?

That’s what I’ve always assumed.

Absolutely love this game but I have found myself stuck. I have one person with one arrow over their head which I believe means they should be simple to identify, but I really can’t figure out who they are.

Are there times where you just have to take a bunch of guesses and force it? Or is there always a logical solution as to who they are? I’ll be a bit sad if it’s the former.

Like a few others earlier in this thread, I gave up on this game after a couple of hours of headscratching. I solved a few of the early cases but then just couldn't get enough concrete info to progress. But then, I found myself thinking about it all through the night. There MUST be something I was missing. Went back the next day, made a few connections, and bam, I was hooked.

I think gaming the "match three" system is a perfectly valid way to play. You'd need to have some Columbo-level eye for detail to pick up everything. For example, in one scene, a character shouts at another character by name, but there is only a vague hint as to which of the nearby characters he is shouting at. I tried following the logical "chain of events" for several of them to narrow down which one it could possibly be. The Eurogamer review describes it as "murder mystery Suduko", and that totally nails it.

Some of the things I missed were:

Some of the hammocks having crew number tags on them

Someone mentions that one of the crew came from a "lascar house" ... I should have looked that up.

There were also a couple of things that threw me (I'll spoiler these, but I don't think they are actual "solution" spoilers):

There was a character who, even from his very brief bit of dialogue, sounded heavily Irish. Turned out he wasn't.

There are some characters who escaped the boat. The actual location of one of them is quite obvious, but I was disappointed that we were just supposed to assume the location of the others. As far as I could tell, there is no information about that.

19 hours ago, Mystacon said:

That’s what I’ve always assumed.

Aye, seems that way, cheers! Turns out I can't tell the diffence between Irish and Welsh accents though so I shat out of making a decision based on that :lol: I'm an awful Celt.

18 hours ago, peeveen said:

Like a few others earlier in this thread, I gave up on this game after a couple of hours of headscratching. I solved a few of the early cases but then just couldn't get enough concrete info to progress. But then, I found myself thinking about it all through the night. There MUST be something I was missing. Went back the next day, made a few connections, and bam, I was hooked.

I've just done exactly this. After getting the first three easily I found the following section totally overwhelming and have spent a week or more almost intimidated by the throught of going back to it. Spent about five hours on it in a day when I did - and that's barely solving any fates, just backtracking and taking everything is is utterly absorbing. I still only have six fates ticked off but I feel I've made a lot of progress in putting other bits and pieces together, and to be honest, even if I never finish this it's been a completely unique experience and probably worth the money personally just for being able to say that in 2019.