rllmuk
TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Return of the Obra Dinn

I've started a second playthrough to nab the last achievement (the task it involves made me chuckle) and it's flipped my character's gender. Nice little touch.

So if you start playing this and wanna be the opposite gender, just restart the game with a new profile.

Did you get it? I tried to unlock that, but all it gave me was the abandon ship achievement. I made sure

Spoiler

All the names were correct, and all deaths were blamed on the captain. I don't have the ability to jot down Martin and Filip's fates without the bargain chapter so the final insurance doc only said he murdered 53 crew members (60 minus the 4 survivors, the 2 from Bargain and himself)

2 hours ago, Wroth said:

Did you get it? I tried to unlock that, but all it gave me was the abandon ship achievement. I made sure

Hide contents

All the names were correct, and all deaths were blamed on the captain. I don't have the ability to jot down Martin and Filip's fates without the bargain chapter so the final insurance doc only said he murdered 53 crew members (60 minus the 4 survivors, the 2 from Bargain and himself)

Yep, I got it.

Though I ballsed it up initially. I overlooked putting the captain down as the killer for Alexander Booth and left it at "shot by an unknown person". I didn't spot the mistake on my scan through the crew list and only noticed after I'd changed the four in Africa to their correct endings (thinkingthat maybe those four being "shot" was such a blatant lie that it was preventing the achievement). That change locked in those fates as correct and fucked the save for getting the achievement. So I had to play through a third time...which tbh was still fun. In every play through I have learned something new about the story.

So you have to say the captain shot literally everyone including the survivors in Africa. The crew manifest is correct when the only people not listed as shot by the captain are the captain himself (should say suicide), the 3rd Mate (will say "unknown" due to dying in chapter 8) and the captain's steward (will say "unknown" due to dying in chapter 8).

Ah right,

Spoiler

I read somewhere that you only had to account for the actual deaths themselves, so the survivors didn't count. Well, since 2 of them are locked in, time to do the WHOLE THING AGAIN

One thing that's been bugging me (I've not been playing it since much past here as I've been away but it's been doing my nut all weekend), it's from early on when you venture below deck, to do with the second bit of the cannons. I must be missing something. 

Spoiler

The bit where the cannon fires on two guys, because the kraken crushes the firer and they can't defuse and the kraken is holding one guy on the end of the cannon(?). You get to that memory from looking at one body though, despite there being two guys at the business end. Where's the other body? As far as I can recall, the body that triggers that memory is the one that's furthest from the cannon, the guy just behind the guy right in front of the cannon. 

15 minutes ago, stefcha said:

One thing that's been bugging me (I've not been playing it since much past here as I've been away but it's been doing my nut all weekend), it's from early on when you venture below deck, to do with the second bit of the cannons. I must be missing something. 

Hide contents

The bit where the cannon fires on two guys, because the kraken crushes the firer and they can't defuse and the kraken is holding one guy on the end of the cannon(?). You get to that memory from looking at one body though, despite there being two guys at the business end. Where's the other body? As far as I can recall, the body that triggers that memory is the one that's furthest from the cannon, the guy just behind the guy right in front of the cannon. 

The trigger body is actually the guy in front. Zoom in on the people in a scene to confirm who they are. But in this case, a little inference is required - the second guy who vanished...maybe he went out the window?

Finished Obra Dinn over the weekend. It's a great and original mystery game that I highly recommend to anyone who is into the setting or enjoys detective type games. It's a shame it kind of peters out towards the end - but its all about the journey, not the destination with this game. Lucas Pope has proved again that he is a clever and crafty soul and I really hope he does some more mystery games in future. There's a lot of ah-ha! moments in Obra Dinn when an answer finally clicks. Not to mention times that you have been sneakily misled but realise what really happened. Plus it looks cool and it has terrors of the sea.

One of the things that's so cool about it is that at the start you look at some pictures with all the 60 crew and you have no idea what you are getting yourself into. By the end of the game you know all of their stories well.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stefcha said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I inferred that he had been completely vaporised from the blast :o

Can someone point me in the right direction please.  I’ve found everything around “The End” and linked everyone I can up, and I’ve found all 8 parts of “The Doom” and successfully linked some fates, and taken some guesses at some identities, but I can’t progress.  I’m assuming I don’t need to solve it all before another chapter opens, because I just don’t have enough information.  So can someone point me towards where I should be looking next.

6 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Go to locations which are

Reveal hidden contents

circled in the book

You mean like

at the start of chapters?  Like one says cargo deck but I can’t get down there yet.

sorry, I only ask as I spent my lunch break going round in circles. 

35 minutes ago, The Bag said:

You mean like

Hide contents

at the start of chapters?  Like one says cargo deck but I can’t get down there yet.

sorry, I only ask as I spent my lunch break going round in circles. 

Yes. Like that.

Though they're usually at the end of a chapter, not at the start. You may have overlooked one you can access that isn't on the cargo deck.

It's totally different, largely in that it's actually enjoyable. I mean Papers Please was OK as a game but as a premise it felt pretty grim and horrible to play, you know? Feels much nicer to be unraveling a mystery and the way it's presented and laid out works brilliantly.

Started this last night, love it so far. The graphical style and way the game is presented is so cool. I don't think I've played a game like it before.

Only solved 3 cases so far so really early. 

Sorry for not really adding much...I just think this game deserves to be on the front page as much as possible!

• Upvote 3

On 24/10/2018 at 09:46, stefcha said:

It's totally different, largely in that it's actually enjoyable. I mean Papers Please was OK as a game but as a premise it felt pretty grim and horrible to play, you know? Feels much nicer to be unraveling a mystery and the way it's presented and laid out works brilliantly.

I like this but I find the mood a bit grim/oppressive. I'm not sure I'd say I'm actively enjoying it for a good chunk of playing it

On 25/10/2018 at 07:30, PeteJ said:

Only solved 3 cases so far so really early.

Yeah, same. Feels like the "tutorial". I've seen loads of death scenes... I'm assuming I should probably slow down a bit and start tying to identify people.

I finished this over the weekend and loved it. That "three more fates solved" ping was such a wonderful endorphin hit, and I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. I wasn't quite ready to leave the Obra Dinn and its motley crew.

I’ve only just heard of this listening to @murray on the latest The Computer Game Show. Sounds amazing, do I get it for Mac and possibly rarely play it, or is there any news yet of a console or iOS port?

Still no word on a console release but, if you start playing it on Mac, you will feel compelled to finish it. I started playing it on Saturday evening and woke up early on Sunday to finish it.

Since then I've become properly obsessed with the way this game made me think. An actual, logical detective game. The big shame is that, because it's a solvable puzzle, there really is nothing to make me go through it again. I'd love for a whole series to follow suit but that might be asking too much of one man. I've had to settle for reading Lucas Pope's development diaries on Tigsource to get more out of it.

• Upvote 1

His video it out for Patreon backers, but I’m going to avoid it for now as I’ve started playing it this afternoon. It’s wonderful so far. I’m not one for story-driven games, but it’s grabbed me. Can’t wait to see where it goes.

Also: Zenith ZVM 1240 is my jam.

• Upvote 1

Started this tonight — so, so good. 

I’m now at a point of overwhelm, though, where I think I’ve essentially seen all the vignettes first time round and have loads of gaps in my jotter. Finding it hard to match faces to models, too — might need to print the faces so I can do closer comparison. 

Last game to make me get a notebook out was The Witness. Love it. 

I’ve been continuing to play this too. The story is wonderful and exciting, and yet you experience it through audio clips and freeze-frame dioramas. I’ve found all of the bodies, now it’s just a case of slowly matching them up. I think I’ve completed 9 fates so far, so a fair way to go! One of my games of the year without a doubt.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

You don’t need to match faces to models - hold the right mouse button over the model and it’ll match to the face for you ^_^

:facepalm:

Worst detective ever.

• Upvote 2

So I've definitely seen all the vignettes I can at this point, with all chapters except the mystery one filled out. Not sure how's best to proceed -- just start going around the boat again watching them from the start?

Would be lovely if there was a way to play the memories from the book.

I'm gone back and forth over that complaint.

Beyond probably a technical level whereby the vignette has to load from a specific place because the assets are already in, I think it means you pay more attention since it's a bit more deliberate to open each one up. If I had to trek across the ship, once I'd arrived I was more likely to make sure I absolutely knew what I was seeing and wrung every bit of information out of it.

Still it's probably mostly technical.

I am finding this very difficult, and not sure if I am even playing it properly!

I successfully matched three people in the first chapter, which presumably are supposed to be easy. 

Should I only focus on one chapter at a time? Or should I try and open up the whole lot first before I try and figure things out?

There are two people on the book that are not blurred any more. Does this mean I should be able to figure out who they are? I literally spent an hour last night staring at two fucking memories and I just have no idea how I should know who they are.