Return of the Obra Dinn

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

On 25/03/2022 at 15:11, Bushtopher said:

I’ve just had a look and it turns out I got it from Fangamer - same place I got the Obra Dinn book. Hadn’t made the conndd we cation previously. Should probably avoid browsing that site further in case I see other stuff I want to buy. 

Link: https://www.fangamer.com/products/laudate-solis?

Argh I love that print and have wanted it for years but always forget to get it. Bought! 

• 2 weeks later...

I started this again recently as I had completely forgotten what was going on when I last played it. I have no idea what’s going on, but I’ve somehow locked in my first three fates. This is so cleverly put together, I feel so thick playing it. I’d be the worst detective. 

10 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I started this again recently as I had completely forgotten what was going on when I last played it.

I saw this game as a one-shot deal the first time I played it, like once you’ve finished it you can never play it again, but after a short while I forgot almost everything about it, and was able to go through the game for a second time. Looking forward to another play through soon!

22 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Six fates correctly determined, even less of a clue as to what I was doing or what's going on. This is nuts.

I got myself in a muddle early on too so restarted. It’ll click with you soon enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, finally played this. I love the look and sound of it, and the mechanics (for the most part), but the problem solving approach is just not for me.

Have explored every memory, validated 9 fates, but am now utterly stuck. The game says working out certain identities should be trivial based on the info I have, but I’ve no obvious clue as to where to look. I’m terrible at reading the illustrated faces, can’t tell anyone apart. I also hate backtracking in most games, and really can’t face schlepping through multiple memories again. I like it, just not that arsed.

I believe you need 27 fates to not get the worst ending, so worst ending it is.  Bravo to those with the patience and nouse to solve all 60, though!

And just done that shite ending… Nice of the game to give me such a hearty fuck off for my meagre efforts.

Fuck you too, Lucas Pope. 😄

5 minutes ago, jonamok said:

So, finally played this. I love the look and sound of it, and the mechanics (for the most part), but the problem solving approach is just not for me.

Have explored every memory, validated 9 fates, but am now utterly stuck. The game says working out certain identities should be trivial based on the info I have, but I’ve no obvious clue as to where to look. I’m terrible at reading the illustrated faces, can’t tell anyone apart. I also hate backtracking in most games, and really can’t face schlepping through multiple memories again. I like it, just not that arsed.

I believe you need 27 fates to not get the worst ending, so worst ending it is.  Bravo to those with the patience and nouse to solve all 60, though!

And just done that shite ending… Nice of the game to give me such a hearty fuck off for my meagre efforts.

Fuck you too, Lucas Pope. 😄

Try it again. Honestly. I got stuck and wasn’t as in to it as I thought I would be. So I restarted. 

11 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I also hate backtracking in most games, and really can’t face schlepping through multiple memories again. I like it, just not that arsed.

That's your problem right there. You're not expected to blast through it in a linear fashion. The game spirits you out of the memory before you can reasonably figure out what's going on. It's not backtracking. Take your time.

12 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Try it again.

5 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Take your time.

I’ll probably pass. Too many other games on the go.

The other thing that didn’t really work for me was the lack of a joined-up narrative at the end. Would have liked some linking story.

Maybe that comes with the better endings, or maybe you have to work it out for yourself. I get:

Spoiler

Cargo accident.

An officer attacks the Chinese passengers for a magic box.

He takes them off the ship by lifeboat.

They’re attacked by spiny mermaids. Who they stun with the magic box.

They flee back to the ship, the officer gets shot.

They come aboard, but are attacked by spearmen riding giant spider crabs.

Then a kraken attacks, maybe he fancies a bit of mermaid meat.

Then there’s a mutiny.

Everyone left dies.

Right… not quite what I was expecting, I’ll be honest.

I didn't realise you'd seen almost all of it. Yes, that's pretty much the story, although you've obviously missed some of the causes and effects. If you've got that far and haven't been bothered to work out who anyone is, then I think you can safely move on to a new game guilt-free.

Seems to be one chapter (‘The Bargain’, IIRC) that was locked off until I’d sent the logbook back to Morocco. However, I never got the chance to play it, so presume that was linked to completion percentage?

What did I miss?

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Seems to be one chapter (‘The Bargain’, IIRC) that was locked off until I’d sent the logbook back to Morocco. However, I never got the chance to play it, so presume that was linked to completion percentage?

What did I miss?

You can only access it if you solve all of the fates.

Spoiler

It unlocks a sealed room (the lazarette) and reveals a few crucial plot elements, why the ship was saved, why it ended up back in England, a few more fates. If you're not into the rest of the story it won't mean much to you. Maybe you'd be better off watching a stream as other people puzzle things out for you. I was enjoying the Sudoku Experts Play Obra Dinn, although they are technically a bit shambolic they're nice chaps and are good at puzzles.

I still think this is easily one of my favourite games of recent times. 

I could play at least another two whole "cases" with exactly the same sort of premise and execution and still love it but I'm very interested to see what he does next. 

8 hours ago, b00dles said:

I still think this is easily one of my favourite games of recent times. 

I could play at least another two whole "cases" with exactly the same sort of premise and execution and still love it but I'm very interested to see what he does next. 

Yep.

The quality of this and Outer Wilds absolutely haunts me.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DC said:

I basically played this start to finish yesterday and it immediately went into one my all time favourites. Superb.

That's a lot of concentration for one day. Your brain must be melted to sludge.

It's three years old now so a lot of people may have seen this but I found this video pretty interesting in regards to localising a game that seems relatively "simple" in comparison to a longer or more text heavy games. 

I also think he seems like an interesting chap as it is and I can't wait to see what he does next. 

3 hours ago, DC said:

It was a useful distraction from other things. I’m immediately interested in the other things this guy does now.

You have to play Papers Please if you haven't already. Its a very different game but excellent.

7 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

You have to play Papers Please if you haven't already. It’s a very different game but excellent.

I grabbed that on my iPad last night. I’m expecting it to be bleak but will give it a try on the strength of this.