IGNORED

Return of the Obra Dinn

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Finished up on the boat last night so guess I’ll unlock the last chapter now. It kept me up past midnight as couldn’t stop until I’d got the final few so not yet seen what comes next. 

The last couple were a bit frustrating, mostly due to it being pretty obscure on the way someone died, which is harder to just run through the options. 

It was the guy who was 

Spoiler

“torn apart” by the captain’s steward. He had his leg missing, sure, but torn apart feels like a bit of a stretch. 

Anyway, immensely satisfying overall and such a unique experience - have never played anything like it before. 

16 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Finished up on the boat last night so guess I’ll unlock the last chapter now. It kept me up past midnight as couldn’t stop until I’d got the final few so not yet seen what comes next. 

The last couple were a bit frustrating, mostly due to it being pretty obscure on the way someone died, which is harder to just run through the options. 

It was the guy who was 

Hide contents

“torn apart” by the captain’s steward. He had his leg missing, sure, but torn apart feels like a bit of a stretch. 

Anyway, immensely satisfying overall and such a unique experience - have never played anything like it before. 

Re: your spoiler 

Spoiler

For some people there are a couple you can choose and they will work. For example, for that one I put killed by sword and it worked fine. 

Similarly, the guy who was executed by firing squad you can put killed by the one guy who actually hit him (the other three missed) or killed by the captain for issuing the order, and both will work. 

Making some headway this evening, done twenty or so of the fates now, and I think unlocked all the pages. Had to trial and error a couple where I knew vaguely who it was but had to wait until I had a couple of nailed on definites then brute forced the third. 

The story is really good. Really liking this now although I’m starting to get in to the realms of the difficult ones 😕

I haven't gone back to it today, I got drunk and murdered people instead. If I'm honest I'm a bit intimidated by what's left. I took one hint a little earlier which opened up like 6 more fates and then I started looking harder at the environment and items that might identify people but as a few have said I think I'm getting to the point where it's bastard hard. I'll try and get the last 18 or so over the weekend.

…. and done!

The final chapter was fine but not sure why it was held back. Felt it could have just been included from the start. 

Feels very satisfying to have finished it though as there were definitely times when I didn’t think I’d get through it. I found it to be the perfect amount of pacing, with hints etc to keep you going without ever feeling it was impossible or banging your head against a brick wall. Really well designed. 

It’s also been great playing it at the same time as others on here and seeing the progress being made. 

Now to see how that poll is going and whether I can nominate this for GOTY… 😉

If you enjoy this game and fancy a novel that might scratch a similar itch, I recommend The Devil and the Dark Water by Stuart Turton.

It's 1634 and Samuel Pipps, the world's greatest detective, is being transported from the Dutch East Indies to Amsterdam, where he is set to face trial for a crime that no one dares speak of.

But no sooner is the ship out to sea than devilry begins to blight the voyage. Strange symbols appear on the sails. A figure stalks the decks. Livestock are slaughtered. Passengers are plagued with ominous threats, promising them three unholy miracles. First: an impossible pursuit. Second: an impossible theft. 

Then: an impossible murder.

With Pipps imprisoned in the depths of the ship, can his loyal bodyguard, Arent Hayes solve the mystery before the ship descends into anarchy?

Hard to say without know who you have and what you’ve unlocked. 

Generally speaking, I guess, make sure to look around the periphery of scenes, not everything is contained in the centre of a memory.

Also flick through all pages of the journal, see if there’s anything highlighted you haven’t yet seen. 

Go back through dialogue, see if anyone has been named, or has an accent you could place and pin to a crew member. 

Look at the photos and see who is hanging round with who. Similar roles tend to hang out together. 

Look at the incidental details. The crew log has numbers next to each crew member. Could a scene show these numbers anywhere that might help identify things? 

Look for items/artifacts that might identify someone. They can be in a previous memory and you won't see them again till far down the line. 

51. Two I know definitively who they are but can't determine the fate of. Some others I think I should know but can't suss them out. Time for another break.

On 29/12/2021 at 10:19, Doctor Shark said:

Well…

Reveal hidden contents

Who sent the book to you?

This is one of the best, if not the best, tricks in the game. Its almost Zelda-like. They put the answer in front of you, like literally

right in front of you. ITS RIGHT THERE STOOPID!!!

This one got me so good 😏

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Not gonna lie, I'm well chuffed with myself for only needing that tiny hint. I'm not great at deduction and stuff like that so I'll take it as a win.

That one stumped me, and the…..

Spoiler

One with the shoes. I just brute forced it, as I only had a handful left. It was so obvious. Such a perfect, marvelous game.