rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Return of the Obra Dinn

Earlier this year Lucas Pope, the author of the fantastic dystopian document thriller 'Papers, Please', announced he was working on a new exploration/adventure kind of game set on an 1800s ship with a peculiar 1 bit Apple II rendering graphic style, but in realtime 3D.

tidD2Ti.gif

While the game is unlike Papers, Please in gameplay, setting and looks, it's clear that this is another highly creative and unusual game so I've been following its development with interest (there's an ongoing thread here, with Pope posting updates and responding to feedback: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40832.0 ).

There was some mention of this game earlier in the Steam thread, but this week a first playable, early build was released for Mac and PC, which can be downloaded here: http://dukope.itch.io/return-of-the-obra-dinn - so I thought it'd be time for this game to get its own thread.

While it's still got a long way to go, I really like the setting, the premise and the graphical style. The gameplay gimmick also seems like something with potential. As I rate Papers, Please as one of the best games I've played in the last few years, I'm really looking forward to this.

#GamerGate Disclosure: I do not know Lucas Pope or anybody of his family personally. I did not have sex with this person. I do not have any financial interests in the matter. I once gave Lucas Pope money, but that was because I bought Papers, Please.

• Upvote 4

Played it for a bit. It's really interesting. You're on this ghost shop, and have a watch which lets you see the fate of the bodies you find. The aim seems to be that you have to determine and record how everyone onboard (and there's 40+ people) died through what you see and the evidence you gather.

Love the graphics too.

He did? I really like his work. A combination of great innovative gameplay ideas, smart ways to create atmospheric visuals as a one man band, realistic goals so games get actually released and documenting the whole process for those interested in the process of making games. A true asset to the (indie) industry.

• Upvote 1

Just having a go, bought it to cheer myself up a bit. No idea what I'm doing but I'm completely gripped, although I can see I might get frustrated by not knowing if I should have picked up information at some point or other and keep thinking I've missed something. So far, it seems "keep going and see" is order of the day. Controller support built in so it's not particularly PC centric, except in style. 

2 hours ago, fattakin said:

Console eventually? I could probably play on my laptop but cant be arsed.

Same concern here. It looks great but I've double-dipped on so many indie games that have made the leap to console now. Papers, Please only made it to the Vita though, so perhaps a port (arf!) is wishful thinking.

I'm assuming PP on Vita used the touchscreen exclusively (as the iOS version would), it seemed like a necessity given it was mouse driven on PC so any other console release was out really.

This game is going to drive me nuts, there are people it's suggesting I should be able to identify but I haven't a clue who they are. Not sure if that means on current evidence unraveled I can identify, or if I need to reveal more of that chapter, or what. I've already gone off one educated guess (which was right) where there must've been more concrete proof somewhere but I didn't see it if there was. Gah!

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

This game is going to drive me nuts, there are people it's suggesting I should be able to identify but I haven't a clue who they are.

yeah, I've got some of those too - I clicked on one and it explained the arrows above the pic were how hard the deduction would be and suggested I stick to simpler ones.

does this have lots of old-timey scurvy seadog sailing ship atmosphere? I'm not overly fussed about the detective business but I'm a sucker for anything with sailing ships, splicing mainbrace and larboard bow and whatnot.

Yes it does. Makes you feel like you're vicariously a part of the crew...or at least like you're vicariously an insurance investigator who feels like they're vicariously a part of the crew.

Also just realised that a blurred face means I don't have enough info to identify a crew member and a clear face means I do. Useful to know. Though it does feel inconsistent for one person I've found so far:

Spoiler

The irish guy who got crushed by the cannon - I feel like there's only one person he could be given his uniform, accent and who he hangs around with, but his face is still blurred for me.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Wroth said:

Yes it does. Makes you feel like you're vicariously a part of the crew...or at least like you're vicariously an insurance investigator who feels like they're vicariously a part of the crew.

Also just realised that a blurred face means I don't have enough info to identify a crew member and a clear face means I do. Useful to know. Though it does feel inconsistent for one person I've found so far:

Hide contents

The irish guy who got crushed by the cannon - I feel like there's only one person he could be given his uniform, accent and who he hangs around with, but his face is still blurred for me.

you can still take a guess in the pages about their demise, but not identify them in the crew pic I think.

I've only solved the first three fates but this really does feel like something very special indeed. I've experienced as much drama, shock, and intrigue in my first thirty odd minutes with this than in any game for a long time..

Can't wait to get back sleuthing  later.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

I've only solved the first three fates but this really does feel like something very special indeed. I've experienced as much drama, shock, and intrigue in my first thirty odd minutes with this than in any game for a long time..

Can't wait to get back sleuthing  later.

Yup. I think I've done around 33 fates so far and the quality has never dropped. If anything it has steadily increased. More people should be playing this - its up there with Edith Finch for games that have blindsided me with how amazing they are. I cannot fathom how Lucas Pope put this all together but its absolutely wonderful working my way through it and watching the mystery of the Obra Dinn unfold.

21 hours ago, milko said:

does this have lots of old-timey scurvy seadog sailing ship atmosphere? I'm not overly fussed about the detective business but I'm a sucker for anything with sailing ships, splicing mainbrace and larboard bow and whatnot.

Hmm. Well its not swashbuckling pirates, but its very nautical and fantastical.

• Upvote 1

I've got everyone except for the disappearances in chapter 9. I've got their identities, but I'm not sure how I can possibly determine their fate. Do you have a vague hint Sie? Does it involve

Spoiler

leaving the boat?

12 minutes ago, Wroth said:

I've got everyone except for the disappearances in chapter 9. I've got their identities, but I'm not sure how I can possibly determine their fate. Do you have a vague hint Sie? Does it involve

Reveal hidden contents

leaving the boat?

You can make an educated guess based on the final memory they're in. Your instinct will probably be right for all of them. 

15 minutes ago, Wroth said:

Reveal hidden contents

leaving the boat?

2 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

You can make an educated guess based on the final memory they're in. Your instinct will probably be right for all of them. 

And in case that doesn't quite get you there....

There's a big hint inside the journal you're filling in. You're not the first person to write in it...

Ah! That sorted it, thanks Sie! I made the educated guess you were implying Rudderless, but I guess my instincts completely suck because I must've tried every sub-option of that fate except the correct one.

edit: all done :D What a game. Feels ripe for a bunch of sequels tbh, each in a different period/location/genre, with the pocketwatch and art style being the only consistent features