IGNORED

Captain America: Civil War

Space Renegade Ulala

Not full thoughts as late ;)

Very good - not sure how good, but top tier marvel certainly. 

Single scenes have more commentary and better arguments on the merits of both sides than the entire Civil War comic

Fucking blows BvS out the water in terms of setting up a compelling conflict

Fantastic film. It's somewhere in the top 3 Marvel films for me. Totally lived up to my expectations.

I'd say that Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron and Ant-Man are required preparation though, you'd be in the dark about certain characters and their motivations otherwise.

Black Panther was fantastic, he was nails as fuck, genuinely an intimidating presence.

Every second Peter Parker/Spider-man had on screen had me grinning like a complete loon, and totally transported me back to being an 8 year old kid that was nuts about Spider-Man.

4 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I'd say that Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron and Ant-Man are required preparation though, you'd be in the dark about certain characters and their motivations otherwise.

Good tip. I watched AoU again last night and almost gave up on it, it's so un-involving. But I guess it's good to see the build up, even though character arcs, motivations and plot points are mostly lost in the noise. Tony mumbles something about "I'm done" right at the end of AoU before he drives off in his Audi R8 - I don't think I even picked up on that first time I watched it.

BFI IMAX today! 

I watched all the Captain and Avenger films this week as a refresher, I don't need to see Ant Man again as it was the last film I saw there. If this is as good as any of those films (Obviously it'll be better than Ultron) then I'll be happy :)

21 minutes ago, Pob said:

Shame Ant-Man hasn't come to Sky Movies yet. I'll have to pay to see it!

I'd hate to be in your world where Sky Movies was my only option to watch a film ;)

(I don't just mean yar it either)

15 minutes ago, Bleeders said:

I watched AoU recently, but re-watched Winter Soldier last night; better on a second viewing. I feel the Russo brothers have this. It can't be any worse than BvS.

That would take some real effort.

On a Marvel Violence Scale, where does this sit?

I rate the heart operation scenes of Iron Man, the beat down at the end of Winter Soldier, and the Red Skull all as "too violent" for my 8 year old son. On the flip side, Thor, both Avengers, Guardians and Ant Man are towards the "cartoon violence" end of the scale, where nobody gets horribly, violently and visibly hurt and it's all basically fun and games fantasy violence.

I only have one tiny wee niggle about this film:

Spoiler

I wanted to see The Abomination in the containment facility, having been there ever since he was apprahended at the end of the Hulk film. I figured with General Ross coming back into the fold they'd maybe try to link that film in a bit more.

ALSO this film puts to rest my fan-boy speculation that I laid out a page ago.

It's quiet at work so I took the morning off to see this.

It's brilliant!

The action sequences are excellent (both VFX and Stunt Choreography) and any concern that this is more an Avengers movie than a Cap movie are quickly laid to rest. The tone of most of it (bar the big team-up fight, which I didn't realise would be so funny) feels completely like the follow-up to Winter Soldier. And even though there's loads of characters, they all get their time to breath and get their personalities across. Like others have said Antman almost steals the show. But even Vision is perfect. Marvel are so good at having complete faith in just putting the comic characters on the screen instead of some cack-handed attempt at updating them "for a modern audience".

This would be the best Marvel movie even if Spider-man wasn't in it, but they completely nail the character and he's the icing on the delicious Super-Team-Up-Fighting-Megamix Cake.

Cant wait to see it again! 5 Hotdogs out of 3.

I sooooo want to go and see this but hate cinema's when they're busy and struggling with tinnitus spikes recently.

My nice new local cinema is fantastic but the sound is turned up to eleven!!  Need to aquire some sound reducing ear plugs methinks. 

My daughter saw it last night making me dead jealous. 

2 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

On a Marvel Violence Scale, where does this sit?

I rate the heart operation scenes of Iron Man, the beat down at the end of Winter Soldier, and the Red Skull all as "too violent" for my 8 year old son. On the flip side, Thor, both Avengers, Guardians and Ant Man are towards the "cartoon violence" end of the scale, where nobody gets horribly, violently and visibly hurt and it's all basically fun and games fantasy violence.

Which I tend to think is potentially more dangerous for a kids mind. Showing that there is no consequence to repeatedly punching and throwing people worries me more than showing that human beings are mortal.

3 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

My slight fears regarding the Russo brothers taking charge of the next Avengers films have been completely put to rest.  These characters are in very safe hands. That was fucking brilliant. Holland and Boseman, as the newcomers, just slotted in brilliantly.  I've now gone from mild interest to "can't wait" for the Black Panther film. 

More spoilerific thoughts:

Hide contents

With the benefit of hindsight, I should have made the connection between Howard's death and Bucky a lot sooner, but I really didn't put those pieces together until just before the full reveal.   What I did click onto straight away, however, was Zemo's voice message from his wife. I thought it was pretty obvious, but it certainly made for a more compelling reason to take down the Avengers than him being yet another "I vant to rule ze vorld!!" nutjob.

Steve and Sharon's kiss kinda didn't work for me, it pretty much came out of nowhere (and was extremely weird after discovering she's Peggy's niece), but Sam and Bucky's reaction was worth it. There were some really great one-liners in this, too many to reel off in this post. 

So this take places six months after Parker gets his powers?  I really hope Homecoming is not a prequel to this, we don't need another origin story. Just please, no.

This is Marvel's best film, easily, and it's actually down to the story it tells. I think the best compliment I can pay it is that, for the most part, you could replace the super-heroes with just ordinary people/soldiers/agents, and it would still be a compelling and thrilling movie.  It's just even better because it has all these fantastic and amazing characters.   My bro couldn't make it to the showing today, so we're seeing it Tuesday.   Can't wait to see this again.

Good news, Marvel have creative control over the Spiderman film instead of Sony.