Daredevil - TV Series

Spleen

I only recently saw the uncut version of some old TNG episode censored here back in the day whereas in the States they thought it was perfectly fine to show Picard and Riker shoot some dude in the face until the flesh melted off and his head exploded, then shoot him in the chest until they'd burned open his ribcage and exploded the rest of his torso. It was surprisingly gross.

Well I just watched the first 2 eps and I only thought the first was okay, seemed a bit boring but then it just ramps up for the second and I'm gobsmacked at how it suddenly was. Downloading the rest, going to rinse most of the season tonight!

Well I just watched the first 2 eps and I only thought the first was okay, seemed a bit boring but then it just ramps up for the second and I'm gobsmacked at how it suddenly was. Downloading the rest, going to rinse most of the season tonight!

If you thought the second was a ramp up, the 3rd really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the third was a ramp up, the 4th really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the fourth was a ramp up, the 5th really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the fifth was a ramp up, the 6th really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the sixth was a ramp up, the 7th really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the seventh was a ramp up, the 8th really shows where it is headed.

And I only just started the 9th

If you thought the third was a ramp up, the 4th really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the fourth was a ramp up, the 5th really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the fifth was a ramp up, the 6th really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the sixth was a ramp up, the 7th really shows where it is headed.

If you thought the seventh was a ramp up, the 8th really shows where it is headed.

And I only just started the 9th

Yep, every episode does indeed get better, I'll be lost in 45 minutes when the last one has finished and the inevitable cliffhanger for season 2 pops up.

Not even finished episode 1 and already sucked right in!

Quick question on episode 1 and I hope this is true

When the criminals are meeting at the building site and the warden from Shawshank says "Heroes and there consequences are why we have our current opportunity", he is referring to the events of the Avengers finale yes? If so, I fucking love that wee nod!!

Answer to the above

Yeah - the damage done to New York during the Avengers is part of the setting/plotline - basically a lot of Hell's Kitchen (and New York) is damaged/in ruins etc.

They don't make much of a deal (so far?) of Heroes had their fight and move on, but the criminals spell in out pretty clearly they've expanded operations due to the massive opportunity they were left with.

It's a small thing but I'm really liking how a) Matt gets hurt in fights and b) it carries over and takes him time to recover/heal (if he does. Some have lasted for many episodes)

Yes, and it's not the only one they make, referring to it as 'the incident', but it's all done subtlety.

And there is the bit where Wesley is admonishing some goons for getting their asses handed to them by Daredevil and he says 'maybe if he was in an iron suit or had a magic hammer it would explain why you keep getting your asses kicked, but he's just one guy.'

Yeah there's been a few hints of what's gone before (and maybe what's going to come after?) but it's pretty subtle completely and utterly unlike AoS.

Edit - Oh god. The 9th builds it up even more!

The Hand! (I assume) - but no one knows beyond "some sort of ninja" and no anvils!

I'm two episodes in and I'm not really feeling it. It's a combination of things really but I think they all tie back to it being a Netflix show and it maybe just missing that extra bit of time, budget and polish. Also possibly better supporting actors. Dawson and Cox work well together but the mook from the Mighty Ducks they've got playing Foggy? Jeez.

The fights are alright, probably the best part of the show so far, but DD's fighting style just doesn't feel like a convincing, cohesive whole to me... maybe it'll come together later and this is some kind of Batman Begins learning deal. Also it's really obvious when they're pulling the punches in the choreography; perhaps some Bourne style shaky-cam might have improved things and covered it up.

Shaky-cam improves nothing.

Also this isn't that low-budget, hugher average spend than Walking Dead for example. Shooting on location in New York probably eats up some of that mind you. Most shows use other cities to double for NY.

Hmm... the fights are a mixture of brutally convincing and blatantly punch-pulling. For example, whilst the long scrap at the end of episode 2 is impressive, it's also got a few standout whiffed moves. Not that that merits a negative against the show as a whole, it's just jarring when it has such a rep already for its bone-crunching.

Other than that I'm enjoying it immensely. Put down 3 so far and will probably hit another couple tonight.

What is sonofsoangry on about. No budget or Polish? It's easily the most visually impressive marvel tv show, with some scenes looking so beautiful I could hit pause and print that and hang it on my Wall.

Compared to agent Carter (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and agents of shield. Daredevil is playing on a cinematic auteur level of direction and style.

It's like comparing apples to a magritte.

Anyway only seen 3 so far but I am ridiculously impressed.

Oh and Ep2 end of episode is amazing love the exhausted fall through the door.