IGNORED

Daredevil - TV Series

Spleen

Agreed on both those points. Anyone in particular you'd like to see Danny Rand?

Actually, I hadn't even thought about it. I'm at least fairly happy with most of the (Netflix) casting thus far (minor worries, especially about Foggy, notwithstanding), so hadn't worried about it much, and no-one springs to mind, but I hope they make him convincing fighting-wise. Do you have anyone in particular you're thinking of?

Won't he need to be cast fairly soon, anyway? You'd think he'd make an appearance in (at least) the Luke Cage series really, but I don't know order/schedule for all the other Marvel/Netflix shows, or whether that's been mooted, ruled out, etc. If they're doing Jessica Jones next then maybe he won't be needed for a bit, as they might be showing the Iron/Fist/Cage relationship from the beginning, but that'll be a little odd (Cage knowing JJ before Rand, etc).

Nobody immediately springs to mind to be honest. I quite like how they're not going for the obvious, and hopefully they get someone new(ish) for Rand. As you say, even though it's a fair bit away, they'll need to cast soon.

One interesting touch that someone on a podcast picked up on was that in the Daredevil trailer, it's a Rand Industry truck that is involved in Matt's accident.

Honestly, the focus on Danny Rand shouldn't be on someone who's a good actor, but someone who's an incredible martial artist. I love the character and I think the best way to serve him would be to just make the TV show almost completely focused on this. For one thing, it would be unique out there in the current TV landscape, and for another it would be f'ing awesome. I've seen a bit of talk about them recasting Danny as an Asian-American too, which makes a lot of sense. As long as there are lots of good fights, I'm in.

• 2 weeks later...

Alain Moussi linked himself to the Danny role a while back. I don't think he's much younger than Adkins, and I'd guess Adkins is a more accomplished actor. Could just be angling for stunt work I guess.

Very glad to see the good word of mouth for Daredevil though. The next week is going to go by slowly...

It'll be interesting to see how Netflix handles these other series though. Jessica Jones is... a different character than we're used to, and Luke Cage needs to be handled carefully as the character is always within spitting distance of Blaxploitation parody, even when done well.

Either way, looks like the Defenders are off to a good start..

DeKnight's made comments about wanting to to a hard R Punisher series, as tonally DD opens that door. Not sure I'd be interested I'm the Punisher normally, but from the Sparticus team I'd be very enthused.

Please god yes. PLEASE. Punisher is my favourite Marvel character, I'd love to see that done as a Hard R series.

I have never had any need for Netflix but I don't care how much I have to pay or how much utter shite I will have access to on the side.... I am all over this. I am already a big fan of Daredevil and feel the movie gets some harsh treatment given it was released back when nobody really gave a fuck about Comic Book movies. So to see this show in the hands of one of my heroes, based on his Spartacus work, I have nothing but childlike excitement for it!!

Just need Dustin Clare to get cast in a recurring role and this could easily take the lead as the top Comic Book TV show going :)

Please god yes. PLEASE. Punisher is my favourite Marvel character, I'd love to see that done as a Hard R series.

Me too. I saw bits of The Purge Anarchy on HBO yesterday and Frank Grillo would be such a good Punisher, shame Marvel already has him playing Crossbones.

But yeah, a hard R Punisher series has so much potential.

Every time they've tried to do the Punisher, it's failed. May as well just cut their losses and use him as a guest star type thing bouncing off a main character, a dead-eyed murder machine just isn't interesting enough to build a regular narrative around. I'd much rather see Moon Knight get a series instead, his insanity is much more interesting plus nothing beats a guy in a classy white suit laying down the piss.

Every time they've tried to do the Punisher, it's failed. May as well just cut their losses and use him as a guest star type thing bouncing off a main character, a dead-eyed murder machine just isn't interesting enough to build a regular narrative around.

That's the exact problem. They tried to add some depth in the 2004 film but Thomas Jane came off as too limp, they went the other way in the 2008 version but Ray Stevenson came off as a dead-eyed murder machine. The Punisher has no 'gimmick' to intrigue, so you need a strong plot - the 2008 film proved that grisly deaths alone are not enough.

I'll definitely try and have it done by Saturday. Not sure about one sitting. I don't want to burn it out and drag myself to the end bleary eyed. It's all about avoiding spoilers now - the suit is starting to appear everywhere.