Daredevil - TV Series

28 minutes ago, probotector said:

Wasn’t kingpin in the punisher series

looks like punisher season 2 wont be happening? 

Season 2 is in production now. 

Edit: Marvel are saying we can "Look forward to more adventures of the Man without Fear in the future". Maybe the cancellation was just a chance to get Daredevil back?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/daredevil/news/a871753/marvel-daredevil-netflix-cancellation/

2 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Wait, what?

I’m her guessing?

daredevil is Netflix’s premiere marvel show and it’s got cancelled, the rumour is it’s because Disney want all the marvel properties for their own streaming service.

Luke Cage, Iron Fist etc have been cancelled too.

6 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Season 2 is in production now. 

Edit: Marvel are saying we can "Look forward to more adventures of the Man without Fear in the future". Maybe the cancellation was just a chance to get Daredevil back?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/daredevil/news/a871753/marvel-daredevil-netflix-cancellation/

Season 2 wrapped up production AFAIK. It'll still show up, as will JJ. Disney have stated there's no place for any of the Netflix shows on their service.

On 30/11/2018 at 14:10, Meh said:

It stinks of Netflix not wanting to co-produce with another company with a streaming service of their own.

Like, seriously, Disney have even said there's no place for these characters on Disney+.

Aren't all the Marvel films being pulled from Netflix to go on Disney+ though? If that's the case then that might lead to people jumping over to Disney and cancelling Netflix, so it's understandable Netflix not wanting to produce more. JJ and TP will be cancelled after the next seasons that's inevitable.

Aye, I think it'll be a reboot. Or maybe MCU for some if the are lucky. Iron Fist was generally a missed opportunity but a lot of the others were really well done.

Shame they couldn't do another defenders of some one off movie length episodes to the up loose threads.

1 hour ago, MpM said:

Last few posts really does illustrate what an utter dogs dinner the internet has turned the simple act of watching TV in to.

Yeah streaming used to be really great; it was supported well because it legitimised technology that was made convenient by piracy, and it was pretty cheap, so I guess it helped do away with a lot of piracy. Now every company with a tv channel wants you to subscribe to their own service so it’s become ridiculously fragmented and probably more expensive than it was to subscribe to satellite in the first place. 

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Seems obvious that they're either moving the entire lot back to the new Disney channel (why would they let a rival have all that IP now?). and/or moving the characters into movies for Phase Whatever, re-cast I'd guess.

They don't want 'em on their channel. They've said this already.

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

As much as I’ve enjoyed a lot of Netflix produced shows, I think it would’ve been better if they’d stayed as a streaming version of Blockbuster. That’s basically what we need but everyone wants a bigger slice of the pie now.

They can't. Because as soon as there is any money in streaming, we get everyone pulling into their own services. Netflix needs to produce its own content - and really good, desirable content at that - if it wants to survive. Technology won't be enough. The odds and ends of other content providers won't be enough. 

This is certain to cause a renewed explosion of piracy. That and market forces will probably force consolidation to 2-3 main services the market can support. 

• 1 month later...

The 14 minute single shot in one of the episodes was amazing, so glad i didn’t know it was coming.

i loved how this season made Foggy and Karen more than just mewling sidekicks 

if it’s done now, so be it. Like Deadwood leave an amazing looking corpse 

Just finished this and overall it was great, but I felt the first 3 or 4 episodes were a bit slow to get going and the Karen episode was annoying.  It could have been condensed to 10 episodes and been better.

The Karen episode might not have been so annoying if it didn't feel like it was randomly plonked anywhere in the series.  The previous episode finished with Matt at Fisks finding out Dex is on his way to kill Karen, pretty much a cliff hanger ending.  Then it drops you back in with this cut away flashback story for me it broke the tension and felt like it could have sat anywhere in the series so sticking it here felt cheap.  Heck maybe it could have worked if it flashed back more purposefully while she was hiding from Dex in the church mid-fight (maybe not).  

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of episodes from the end and this has been great - probably the strongest season and definitely a welcome return to form after the shitty Hand episodes of season 2. (The other half, with the Punisher, made it bearable at least.)

I find it strange that they didn't provide a recap covering the events in the Defenders, given it wasn't that popular and apparently most viewers didn't make it to the end of the series. Or did I just fail to play it? I was completely confused about the whole collapsing building thing, and only last night got around to googling to find out what I was missing.

17 minutes ago, hmm said:

Couple of episodes from the end and this has been great - probably the strongest season and definitely a welcome return to form after the shitty Hand episodes of season 2. (The other half, with the Punisher, made it bearable at least.)

I find it strange that they didn't provide a recap covering the events in the Defenders, given it wasn't that popular and apparently most viewers didn't make it to the end of the series. Or did I just fail to play it? I was completely confused about the whole collapsing building thing, and only last night got around to googling to find out what I was missing.

I asked the question when I came to S3 and was advised just carry on you’ll be fine, and I was

defenders was shocking 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2018 at 08:55, MpM said:

Not surprised.

All of these Marvel shows, and many other Netflix series, are padded out with pointless filler episodes, I don't think I've seen one show on Netflix that wouldn't have benefited from fewer episodes, TBH.

Their constant hunger for new content to fill the schedule means writers & directors are let loose with virtually no restraint in the writing department. For those people writing & directing it must be Christmas come early, But for the viewer it means some awfully tedious episodes.

On 30/11/2018 at 17:05, HarryBizzle said:

I think I’d agree with the filler stuff. I’ve not made it through a full season of any of these Marvel shows.

Karen and Foggy annoyed the hell out of me in S1. 

Yeah, I've just finished Season 3 and it was really good, particularly from episode 4 onwards.  There was filler though and it would have been an amazing season plotted as 8 or 9 episodes rather than the 13 we got with filler.

I skipped the Karen flashback epiosde until we arrived in the present day stuff and throughout the rest of the season I didn't feel like I was not understand what was going on because I skipped the flashback.  Which, in itself, is probably the definition of filler. 

Well some stuff isn't relevant to plot, but to character. It gives you a chance at a deeper insight into a character and ultimately might make you feel more about what happens to that character. I don't think anything that doesn't drive plot should be left out as a general rule.

But I do think this episode was ill-placed and I think @Gommy's suggestion that it might have worked better as interspersed flashback scenes has a lot of merit.