rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

80 From the 80s - PAPERBACK EDITION out NOW! 9/10 From Starburst Mag

I'll buy it at that price Goose, but do you want people who've not read it to buy it too? I'd say try and go sub-tenner if you are able. Unless you are not expecting to sell that many. I think if you look around at comparable titles, very few (paperbacks) will be over £10.

£15 wouldn't stop me buying, but it 'feels' a lot - with maybe £12.99 probably being the psychological barrier for me I think.

(Could it come with e-editions as well on Createspace/Lulu or whatever?)

Good points I think. People here would be more likely to pay £15 but I think £9.99 would entice more people to take a chance on it based on the subject/reviews.

createspace is a good tool and I had the book in place in next to no time, but hyperlinks in the text stopped any amendments appearing, hence it taking so long. At the last hurdle, the cover art just stopped working for no reason, so that took time to fix and review.

Should be out to buy in the next few days. If you own the e-book, please don't buy the paperback unless you really want it on your bookshelf. This place has already given me MORE than enough support throughout this entire project. Thank you all again.

Commander Jameson - will send you signed copy as a (very small) show of thanks. Though I can't imagine you ever want to see the contents again! Thank you again, so very much

• Upvote 6

It's done! According to Createspace, it'll take 3-5 days to construct the page on Amazon. To be honest, I think that's what they meant, once I priced it and ordered my own copy, the process of it all seemed to stop. 

Once it is actually up to buy, I'll post the link. It's actually 450 odd pages, and I've priced it at £9.95.

Edit: My wife is telling me I should have put it on Kickstarter because the Oli Frey artbook is going for £30 at the moment on there. I said that's because people want that book!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Goose said:

No, I don't think I'd even know how to go about it to be honest.

You should definitely look into it. You have very little to lose and potentially a lot to gain.

• Upvote 1

Ordered. This is pretty much going to be my go to birthday present now. 

You should put some other images up- so peeps can see how its layed out etc.

• Upvote 1

Many thanks for the purchases! 

And please let me know me know how it looks/if there are any issues. The proof looked good, and the digital proof of the edited version looked fine too, but you never know until you actually have the book in your hands, if it did all come together right.

My copies aren't due for about 10-12 days. 

Yes, If i'd ordered direct from Amazon, I'd get them sooner, but I went through createspace as it allowed me to order sooner (not that that makes much difference!)

It's arrived :omg:

Seems fine. Rectangular. Made of paper. Lots of words seemingly in the correct order. Didn't fall apart. No batteries required.

Good work.

• Upvote 4

Got mine too!  Much thicker than I was expecting. Not sure if it's deliberate, because it seems almost too perfectly the same spine width as an old VHS tape :)

(Only downside is the missing page numbers. Would be nice to pick and mix my way through the book. I heard you had some issues adding page numbers, but surely can't be that difficult?)

• Upvote 1

I could add them but couldn't get them to tally up with the contents page I'm afraid. I should have added them to a proof copy then worked it out from there. 

Something for the future. Glad people are getting them and that they're happy with the quality :) 

Thanks again all for your support. 

I just ordered one. 

I think £15 would have been OK. Need something to read on the bus.

Page numbering should be simple if the printer is using Fiery (they probably are). They should be able to do that for you. 

Or, create two documents (on Word?), one for the contents pages etc. and the other for the actual book and then pdf them both, combine files on Acrobat Pro and voila. Takes a few minutes - I can do that for you if you like. PM me.

I'm assuming you can resubmit the file again as I'm assuming these are print on demand through some sort of automatic workflow.

• Upvote 1

Many thanks - I'll give it another look. 

I think £15 would have been fine initially, but long term I'm hoping the £10 price point gets in casual readers who haven't seen any my stuff before. Perhaps. I don't make very much money off them at all, but I make more from the Ebook sales than the paperback ones - but I hope people buy the paperback more as it feels more substantial. 

Snap; picked mine up from the Amazon locker on the way home last night, a little woozy from a trip to the dentist beforehand so not had a chance to dive in yet but man, it's a beast of a book! Wasn't expecting it to be so large! <kenneth_williams.jpg> and always nice to see my username in print; thanks Goose.

EDIT: I've had it on my desk for just under an hr and it's already been picked up by three different people, asking about it. I'm sending them the link to Amazon!

• Upvote 2