Goose

80 From the 80s - PAPERBACK EDITION out NOW! 9/10 From Starburst Mag

Great read. Krull remains one of my fond cinematic memories from my childhood. Loved everything about it, although even at the time I did wonder what was going on with Lysette Anthony's voice not being quite right ;) .

Definitely a hodge-potch of pretty much every fantasy story told, I always thought it did it rather well.

It's one of a small bunch of films where I'd rather like to see a reboot and see if it could get some success to develop really...I suspect it won't ever come about, but at least I got a chance to see this on the big screen.

• Upvote 1

Fantastic read, Goose. And always been a guilty pleasure film for me, having seen it on the cinema and loved it back in '83. And I still want my own Glaive.

By the way, minor typo in penultimate para, Michael Elphick sitcom was Three Up, Two Down.

Really looking forward to future instalments in this series.

Great stuff Goose! Still don't think I ever saw Krull all the way through as a kid, remember the cyclops demuse...always perceived it as a cheapo knock off not a huge studio film.

Fantastic stuff Goose!

The old starlog mags are a mine of info from that time. Proper in depth reporting on sci of films that you just don't get nowadays in print.

As for krull, I rewatched it about a year ago and was decidedly unimpressed. It really hasn't held up well with only the plot being very good IMHO.

A fantastic insight into a troubled film that with a different lead and better script could have been really good.

Goose, is your box office Ebook on the kobo store?

Great stuff Goose! Still don't think I ever saw Krull all the way through as a kid, remember the cyclops demuse...always perceived it as a cheapo knock off not a huge studio film.

Same here. I remember enjoying it on video, but think I'll have to revisit it.

Great post, Goose.

I hope another underrated gem from the 80s, Streets of Fire, ends up in the list of 80 somewhere! :)

That was an enjoyable read. Really looking forward to the book (and hopefully a few more of the chapters as teasers).

Krull is one of those classic Christmas movies for me these days (as that's where it usually gets an airing) and even if I don't have time to watch it from start to finish, I'll happily watch half-an-hour of it here and there. I never saw it at the cinema, but it had more than one rental from the video shop, and I still have memories of playing the arcade game (primarily of the stage where you have to avoid an avalanche) - it was next to the Mad Planets cab in my local arcade. :)

• Upvote 1

Really pleased everyone enjoyed it - thank you. I had hoped to have another one online just after the weekend but a few things have come up so I haven't been able to begin writing as yet.

I caught Krull on film four last week and thought it had aged surprisingly well, for some reason it always gets knocked for its special effects but I genuinely think they're pretty great. It really comes together, visually the whole thing's striking.

Could you do Battle Beyond The Stars? Please. Also, Spacehunter - with Molly Ringwald? Please?

Spacehunter is on the list at the moment. I can look into Battle Beyond The Stars (which was excellent)

• Upvote 1

Excellent start, Goose. Looking forward to the next installment. Just thinking, is it worth having a separate thread for suggestions?

I've got a rough list of about 90 at the moment, which I picked for a number of reason (favourite film, good backstory, good box office story etc) but it's not set in stone.

There are some that might not be easy to do simply because they are too big - stuff like Empire Strikes back. I might have to focus on one part rather than over all of it.

Thanks again to everyone who has enjoyed this first one. I managed 800 words on the next one last night, and it's coming together better than the Krull one. Back on the bike so to speak.

• Upvote 1

I'd imagine so, but I'm not really sure. For the book I'd probably take them out.

The next one has come together quite quickly, but there's a 'fact' that's contradicted in a couple of places. So I need to look into that a bit. It needs a good read through and conclusion. So some work to go.

I've also forgot to add the plot of the actual film to the essay :facepalm:

I'm hoping to have it online midweek. There'll then be a gap before the next one as my wife is going to England for two weeks, so I'll have work, school run, party and other stuff to sort through.