IGNORED

New Wipeout from Ex Wipeout Devs...Sort Of

bradigor

This - Wipeout had a real sense of identity thanks to the stylish track designs and the involvement of The Designers Republic, and the soundtrack only helped the game stand out even more. :D This looks promising but the environment in the video looks a little bit too grey and featureless...

Crisis averted then ;) - great news.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The car model is a little more interesting looking than the F1-inspired model from the trailer, that was a bit too literal for my liking.

Be nice to see how the rest shape up, I suspect their pre-release concept art perhaps didnt represent the ideas quite as well as they might.

Of course it means fuck all without gameplay, but on principle I'm not opposed to a version of Wipeout that is a little more grounded looking.

The naff pricing on the Kickstarter* means I'll be out until the game is released, but I'll be keeping an eye on this - glad they've altered the vehicle designs. And yes, Cold Storage on music duties is a great sign!

*they're meant to feel like they're rewarding you for backing them early, not be loaded up with 'rewards' that don't include the game, and having the base game-containing rewards charge you more than you'd pay for the average PC pre-order!

I dont know that they've 'altered' them as such. My understanding is that they have several classes of vehicle, bit like F1, GT, etc etc.

iirc the art that was floating around had 4 or 5 different iterations, mostly erring more towards the chunkier heavier look that this one had.

Ah, the only art I'd seen until the Kickstarter was the very first trailer for it, which only featured those hideous F1-style vehicles, which reminded me of nothing so much as the characterless sleds from (the otherwise brilliant) Xbox-era Powerdrome.

• 3 months later...

Interested to see how this plays, mind you, I was always shite at wipeout but loved it anyway.

Unfortunately, from the video this looks like the videogame equivalent of a tribute band. Something isn't quite right.

Unfortunately, from the video this looks like the videogame equivalent of a tribute band. Something isn't quite right.

Agreed. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is but something feels wrong somehow.

I think it's a case of they should have either figured out how to get the license and gone full wipeout, or done something completely different.

In the end they chose to be as close to wipeout as possible without getting in trouble with anyone's lawyers and IMO it's suffered for it. Even with the obvious DR work it just smacks of being a cheap facsimile.

Saying that, it looks ten times better than the very first promo footage which had futuristic F1 cars that looked like they had all the weight of a scalextric set.

Having thought about it, I think it's down to two things: there's a constant jerkiness to the video making the game feel slow and generally 'off', coupled with the ships being too big and being blandly detailed (rather than stylised).

Environment, possibly?

The last wipeout (2047?) jarred me for the same reason - they took out the neo-dystopian super colourful crazy shit and put in sort of near-future contemporary settings. Bit blander, bit more predictable.

Also, it doesnt seem that fast.

2048 on Vita? I actually really liked that one - it's probably the first Wipeout I've genuinely enjoyed since 2097. I agree that the environments were more grounded in reality in that game, but with so much going on in the races it rarely bothered me.

And yeah, one of my first thoughts watching the video on the FF Steam page was that the track looked like something from 2048. The action in the video wasn't as mental as it could have been, but I imagine the gameplay is taken from a novice racing class or something?

Just let them develop it. The jump from first trailer to current state was already a course correction, so with feedback and testing this has enough reason to become a great title. As long as they don't include a Zone-mode that makes a large part of its players sick they should be in the clear. ;)

Got the key, entered and downloaded it, fired it up, set the resolution (which you have to, um, key in manually. Weird).

Then it kept spazzing out, flitting between full screen and windowed and the focus being lost, to the point of being unplayable. Back to the drawing board eh, devs?! :lol: