Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Moz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Saw this was on Game Pass and gave it an hour. Wow, it's pretty special, isn't it? 

The combat is fine, but the graphics are exceptional and the audio design... I was playing with Sony noise-cancelling headphones and it was just incredible. I've got no experience with psychosis myself but have definitely experienced auditory hallucinations whilst not in the most sober state of mind and this took me right back to that, the way they are mastered and the way they come from loads of different places around your head is so cleverly designed.

Can't wait to jump back into it tomorrow night.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just been playing this for an hour so so... its unnerving. Playing with headphones. Jeez. Sound are visuals are fantastic. Not sure how I overlooked this when it was released not really payed much attention to Ninja Theory's work since Heavenly Sword back on the PS3.

Another win for GamePass here. Worth playing if you like creepy story based games with a few puzzles and swordplay! As mentioned its like a really twisted version of Tomb Raider. Stuff nightmares are made off! Like Silent Hill meets Tomb Raider. Love the Norse setting too... Great stuff.

Apparently you can "die" in this. If the evil inside you reaches your head that is it. Saves gone. Everything. You have to start from the beginning?! What?! Crikey not liking the sound of that. Not great at fighting games but enjoying the environment and playing this. Has anyone completed this? How was it? Did you have to start again. Not sure how well the "Auto" difficulty level works.... 

11 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Apparently you can "die" in this. If the evil inside you reaches your head that is is. Saves gone. Everything. You have to start from the beginning?! What?! Crikey not liking the sound of that. Not great at fighting games but enjoying the environment and playing this. Has anyone completed this? How was it? Did you have to start again. Not sure how well the "Auto" difficulty level works.... 

It doesn’t happen. Or at least it’s spectacularly difficult for it to happen. It’s the one odd misstep they did when that text pops up on the screen.

29 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Apparently you can "die" in this. If the evil inside you reaches your head that is it. Saves gone. Everything. You have to start from the beginning?! What?! Crikey not liking the sound of that. Not great at fighting games but enjoying the environment and playing this. Has anyone completed this? How was it? Did you have to start again. Not sure how well the "Auto" difficulty level works.... 

what’s auto difficulty? I found it ok tbh in terms of difficulty but I found the combat the weakest aspect, I hope it has a complete overhaul in the sequel. 

58 minutes ago, MattyP said:

don’t worry about it..if you are not liking the feeling that everything might be deleted then you are experiencing what the developers intended...so just go with it.

58 minutes ago, Stanley said:

what’s auto difficulty? I found it ok tbh in terms of difficulty but I found the combat the weakest aspect, I hope it has a complete overhaul in the sequel. 

No idea it was just set to that in the options menu by default. Guess it adapts to how you play. 

Combat it fairly straightforward agreed just block and attack....rinse and repeat. 

Really enjoying so far also has options to prioritise visuals over performance on the One X and above. Looks very pretty.

Actually didn't know this is more of a fighting game too and the combat has elements of fighters. It has combos etc which adds a layer of complexity to it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/827518-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice/faqs/75195/combat-move-list

Currently heading for the second trial... and keep getting taken out by the enemies at the gate... :D Agree about the weighty feel to the combat too.... has a nice heft to the proceedings. Nice feeling when you get the flow right of blocking and then doing a combo of some kind. 

So I'm not a huge fighting game fan so I was struggling a bit on some of the fights.. changed the difficulty down to "Easy". Still struggling. So put it on Auto. That made the fight easier and finished that round off. Odd really not actually sure what "Auto" does but makes the game more playable for me so just leaving it on that.

Also got the hang of evading which is essential on the fights as is the melee.... So perhaps I'm just getting better. :)

Enjoying this overall so far fights are a bit tedious at times though and the "puzzle" sections are quite lightweight too. But loving the storytelling in this and the environments. Can't believe the team that made this were only around 20 in number! Guess this is why the gameplay isn't that involved and areas are just not accessible etc. Find it a bit frustrating at time where there are artificial glass walls in games. Eg: One platform you can jump down from another at the same height you seemingly cannot. :) Not a massive issue.

Also didn't realise Ninja Theory are now part of MS game studios - so the next game will appear on GP. Which is great...

15 minutes ago, sandman said:

Inspired by the resurrection of this thread I went back to this today. It’s absolutely fantastic apart from the godawful combat which just isn’t fun at all. 

I've just figured out that you can press the RT button during a fight when there is a blue glow to slow time down... :doh: Now it is all making much more sense and progress less arduous... 

It's a great looking game this. People talk about next gen graphics. Can't believe this is over three years old! Currently working my way through the trials. Nice balance of action puzzling and story telling here.

Well worth a try if you enjoy say the Unchartered games or the new Tomb Raiders. Although no guns here just a lovely weighty sword! 

ece2e82d-15ed-4322-bfab-933e75d19709-01.png

116766a9-576b-4575-afe5-2fce49d1e8c9-01.png

ad8b20dd-2def-469d-9d6e-93e554c90b30-01.png

I liked the combat because it wasn’t too complicated and still hard enough, I’ve never played the souls games before and don’t think I do if this is considered lightweight. 

but my absolute favourite but was the final battle. The combination of the soundtrack and the anger from Senua made it all a bit mental! 

plus the fact that 

Spoiler

I didn’t know that you are expected to die to finish that you are expected to die for that big mass drawl battle to end the game. I managed to stay alive for about 15 going buck mental with the music blasting in my headphones!

• 2 months later...

Just finished this, started it as an achievement run for the 10k rewards event but this deserved to be played at its own pace.

I think this has probably been my best gaming experience in a long long time. It’s looks great and sounded even better but as soon as the headphones were on my god it was an event.

Absolutely loved every moment of it and fingers crossed for a number 2 (although I hope it’s with someone else rather than a direct sequel).

The sequel is very much on the way, titled Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2. So same lass will be in it. Think it’s a good while away yet, and reportedly a Series S/X and PC exclusive.

• 2 months later...

I’m playing this at the moment and really enjoying it, so I thought I’d have a read through this thread. Is it really true that Edge only gave it 4?! I don’t suppose anyone can remember what they said about it can they? I’d love to read their review.

• Don Rosco changed the title to Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

I can't remember why I didn't play this before now and I only fired it up to check out how it looked on the Series X with the new patch. Thanks to Game Pass I've spent the last three evenings playing and finishing this. What an excellent game. The audio really creeped me out in places. Looks like I've missed a few Lorestones so I'm off to get those to make it one of the few games where I've got 100%

Played through this over the last few days and while mechanically it's a bit basic and thematically a bit on the nose, by god is it a treat for the eyeballs. Played through in Enriched Visuals mode on Series X and it's easily the best-looking console game I've ever seen. There's a bit near the end of the game:

Spoiler

the Sea of Corpses

where it's just chucking absolutely everything at the screen - light shafts, depth of field, chromatic aberration, motion blur, particle effects, HDR - and all the while the soundtrack is going nuts and you've got voices screaming at you right in each ear - and the whole thing comes together in a way I've never seen in a game before. It's just so intense and it drags you right in.

Amazing that this is a four-year-old last-gen game that's had everything from HDR to ray tracing bolted onto it after release. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of visuals we are going to be seeing by the end of this generation.