Sign in to follow this  
MDY

Titans - DC's Teen heroes headed to TV?

On 02/10/2018 at 11:07, Charliemouse said:

The comics by Wolfman and Perez were so much fun, why does every DC property that transfers to live action, always have to be so damn violent and dark?

I can't read that teen titans without thinking of this larson cartoon

Spoiler

c4c475c0a2fdc310a34c20722376d1a1.jpg

The tone of this is even more all over the place than Gotham.. The story too - it keeps throwing in new elements and characters which then just disappear again.. it's a mess..

I think there's only The Chief (soon to be Timothy Dalton) who has been 'visibly' replaced - the other recastings were voices (and I think the new ones were redubbed onto this episode once they were cast for the series - definitely sounded like Brendan Fraiser) and one of the actors who you didn't see at all due to the suit..

It’s a weird show this, because on the face of it, it’s a terrible grimdark edgelord version of a CW superhero show, complete with big boy swears, and Robin graphically throwing ninja stars into people’s eye sockets. 

But weirdly, I have kind of secretly enjoyed the first four episodes. Definitely calms down a bit after the first episode, which was ridiculously bleak to the point where I cried actual tears of laughter. 

Have to admit, it is kind of fun to have a bone-snappin’ potty-mouthed superhero show, as silly as it often is. Definitely gives it a different flavour to the other Berlanti shows, which have mostly gone off the boil for me now. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

But weirdly, I have kind of secretly enjoyed the first four episodes. Definitely calms down a bit after the first episode, which was ridiculously bleak to the point where I cried actual tears of laughter. 

Even just the big scream during the short opening titles had me laughing. Unfortunately, it wasn't a regular feature of the titles, just the first episode.

• Upvote 1

I burned through ten episodes this week and it is way way better than I expected. Hell I thought I was going to be utter shit but it’s compelling tv. Really well done and the characters are ace. Robin is still the best and looking forward to his transformation to Nightwing plus Jason Todd really came across as a fucking asshole so well done for getting him right!

• Upvote 1

I watched the first episode on Netflix. I thought it was some of the most try-hard edgelord grimdark crap I've had the misfortune to view. I wouldn’t have been surprised if Shadow the Hedgehog turned up at some point. People say it gets better, but not sure I’m willing to slog through more of Akiva Goldman's hackwork to find out.

• Upvote 3

I started it today and really got into. I was expecting it to be pure crap. But it has a different feel to it than the marvel series or the other DC series on CW , making it a bit fresher. 

Finished this last week. Thought that the first half was better than the second half but I did enjoy it. Looking forward to the Doom Patrol series next

• Upvote 1

Up to the Doom Patrol episode and loving this, bit of surprise to be honest.

Can't wait for the Doom Patrol series now

I am not a fan of comic book stuff, really not into superheroes. But i am enjoying this so far (ep3). Its dark and not aimed at kids. Hopefully it will keep getting better.

It was on the DC streaming service in the US and Netflix outside the US. Netflix weren't involved in making it, but have exclusive rights to it.

The arrowverse stuff left me cold, manly because I've always hated the chirpy boy scout pip pip hero types. And Barry Alan finding new ways to be a useless prick each episode. 

So this has been a revelation for me, not knowing any of the characters other than Robin I had no preconceived expectations for them to live up too.

So an alien dressed like hooker who doesn't changed her clothes as she travels the world seems weird but I'm happy to go with it.  

Emo girl isn't annoying and pathetic, has a nice line in spunky quips. 

Robin punching the shit out of people never gets old. 

The only down side is the horrendous tiger CGI. It's dire, but this isn't Hollywood big budget so I can just about give it a pass. 

As an Avenger assemble (tm) plot line, it's pretty good, plays in the characters well enough, motivations and stuff seem pretty easy to get a handle on. 

7 throwing Rs out of 10 for me. 

• Upvote 2

Too many diversions into irrelevant side-stories simply to try and build up a "universe", and avoid getting to the final scene three or four episodes before the end.