rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

ArcheAge - F2P MMO with PvP, housing, naval battles, gliders and donkeys

This is my third attempt at a thread and I'll be doing it in chunks since Chrome keeps crashing on me

http://www.archeagegame.com/en/

Adventure in an open-ended MMORPG freed from predefined paths and progression. Build massive castles and lay claim to lands whose riches fuel a deep, player-driven economy. Band together to protect your fortune in epic siege battles and naval combat – or live the life of an outlaw, prying glory and coin from foes left in your wake.
What is ArcheAge?
ArcheAge is an open-world sandbox game unlike any other available in the West today. In ArcheAge you can raise your own mount, fight your way through a dungeon, craft the best armor in the game, build your own open-world farms and houses, sail your ship on the high seas to trade with foreign ports, swoop in on airships and fight other players for plunder, claim a piece of land for your guild (then fight with them to defend your territory from rival guilds!), and lots of other fun things. We’re thrilled to be able to bring ArcheAge to the West!
Is ArcheAge free-to-play?
Yes! You can play ArcheAge without purchasing the game or paying a subscription. We will also offer optional Patron subscriptions and non-recurring passes that will grant a number of great benefits including the ability to own land in-game, a discount at the in-game store, boosts, and more.
When can I play?
ArcheAge is launching on September 16!

ArcheAge features over 100 classes built from 10 skillsets favored by the gods and heroes of the Great Expedition. Skillsets host a range of abilities, from Sorcery’s devastating spells to Songcraft’s soothing ballads. Each one levels up independently (as you gain experience with a skillset, you will unlock its array of powers) and over time you can master them all.

After reaching level 10, you can combine any three skillsets to make a unique class. You can swap skillsets in and out to change classes as often as you like, with no predefined path to follow. Experiment and discover classes to fit any situation, and all with the same character!

Initially it seems like yet another tab targetting theme park mmo but gradually the game systems open up and you get access to farming, non-instanced player housing, vehicle creation, sailing and gliding. You get a free mount at level 6 and your first glider at around level 12. From level 1 you get a very fast sprint so getting around isn't a problem.

Here's me doing a small amount from level 1

• Upvote 2

Not really. I'd prefer people to make MMO threads in discussion where more than five people will read them :) If you want to though go ahead. I'm not expecting us to play long anyway :)

Yeah. Even the standard questing is quite compelling. A lot of quests you can hand in early for lower rewards if you just can't be arsed to kill that many boars or you can kill extra for increased rewards. I think the combat feeling pretty quick helps a lot there.

Does anyone know if you get a free rowing boat with the cat people/asian faction? I just played a character on the other side and you get one very quickly.

You get a free mount and a free row boat with all of the races, just at different times. Mounts are between 6 - 10 while rowboats are something like 10-20 or so.

You do get the boat with the Asian guys but it's not until about 12-14ish I think? I've not played the cat people about level 4 so have no idea at all about them.

I think they discouraged the boats early on so people don't do like Spork did the second he got in one; aimed straight at another player and capsized her boat then started running it over her head :lol:

It's also worth pointing out that this is one of those "you see that mountain over there? You can go climb it whenever you want!" games. 3 large continents and no loading in between, unless you use a teleport. Once you've climbed that giant mountain you can use your glider to glide down :wub:

Whens it out for F2P people who dont want to pay for beta? just started a new job so i'm waiting till im in more of a routine before i delve into a MMO.

f2p starts on the 16th.

This has levelling yet it's a sandbox mmo, how does that work? I mean, sandbox mmo's don't usually have quests, yet this supposedly does. What kind of quests are they?

Whats the action set like on this? Less buttons for abilities the better (One of the things I liked about Wildstar was its LAS).

About time mmo's went back to sandbox rather than theme park too, I miss that about UO.

It's more sandpark than a proper sandbox. Standard quests that can take you to level 50 although you can also level with crafting etc.

There are quite a lot of skills that you'll have although a lot of them will be specific for certain situations.

What about skills you use the majority of the time? I don't want to need an extra pair of hands to be able to use all my abilities, or have multiple key combinations for the 1-5 keys (alt, shift, ctrl, etc).

I've only played to level 20ish so far. Generally with pve mobs I have a 3 or 4 skills I rotate when their cooldowns have finished but in PvP you'll probably have a load more. I think you get 23 skill points to use at 50 so depending on how you build your character you could have 23 active abilities or you could spend some on passive skills or whatever.

Class customisation is pretty good in this so you can probably find a way to play that suits you.

It's also pretty cheap to respec as well. I think it's a bit like Rift in that you have a choice of shit loads of skills but you use a pick a small set that synergise well with some extra for specific situations

Ah, it sounds fine from what you've said. As its ftp I'll probably give this a go then.

Meant to ask how does housing/farms work? Is it like UO where land is limited and after a while there wont be any space to build anywhere?

Subscribers only for housing and it has weekly taxes or the land gets freed up. F2P players can use public farms. I suspect the housing situation will change over time. I think there won't be enough subscribers to sustain that at levels they'd like

Ah, it sounds fine from what you've said. As its ftp I'll probably give this a go then.

Meant to ask how does housing/farms work? Is it like UO where land is limited and after a while there wont be any space to build anywhere?

In addition to Flub mentioning public farms, you can also farm anywhere with illegal farms. But on illegal farms, your crops are completely unprotected and can be uprooted/stolen by anyone who comes across them. Speaking of which, it can actually be pretty lucrative heading into the mountains to find the illegal farms other players think then have hidden and stealing all their shit.

Also, owners of farms can grant access to other players to use them.

Destiwhat? Head start on Friday! The small number of us who will be playing need to decide which server we are playing on I guess? There are 4 EU servers at launch. Dahuta, Eanna, Kyprosa and Shatigon.

Going by what all of the guilds have been signing up for at http://archeage.guildex.org/servers/eu

Shatigon has been adopted as the unofficial Spanish server with hardly any English speaking guilds.

Eanna seems to now be unofficial French and German server with a fairly even split between French, German and "International/European" guilds which will probably be mostly English language.

Krprosa is the "competitive" server which is where all of the big 300+ guilds are heading. Lot's of zerging and stuff. This is going to be the largest server and one to avoid imo!

Dahuta had been crowned the unofficial RP server but has now also more recently been decided as being the "max conflict" (which I think translates to max trolls and max ganking) server as well. This one has a lot more PVP focused guilds too.

I'm more inclined to go with Eanna right now. Are we even all going to be playing on the same side? I've no idea.

I second Eannama. I don't care if chat is filled with je nais comprends pas l'anglais, or vursprung durch ballbag. I'll be turning chat off ASAP anyway.

I was going to suggest Dahuta but if it's going to be a gank fest I'll stick with my original choice of Eanna. Which has the added bonus that if we do end up pvping we have a good chance of killing the french,

I'm rolling a lady Asian. Dunno about you guys,