Famicom Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

On 08/05/2019 at 03:02, RastanSaga said:

Just purchased, Gradius.

This is interesting, because, out of my friends and my school friends at the time, I was the only one who could finish it. Let's see how I fare the best part of 30 years later!

I do believe that was the last time I played it too...

£5 Inc shipping from Japan, for a godly game and nice looking cart, what's not to like :)

s-l1600 (49).jpg

How does this hold up to r type? The only side scrolling shooter I put time into is type. I tried gradius and just didn't get it. Is it worth pursuing? Is the Famicom version the best version?

Christ, just been on eBay to check out Famicom game prices, it's like circa 2001 snes game prices! Like when you could buy good games for less than a tenner each, sometimes less than a fiver

48 minutes ago, bplus said:

Christ, just been on eBay to check out Famicom game prices, it's like circa 2001 snes game prices! Like when you could buy good games for less than a tenner each, sometimes less than a fiver

That's probably why I've got a small pile of Famicom cartridges in my collection, even though I have no relevant hardware to actually play them on. :lol: The cartridges look nice, though – there's a certain toyetic appeal in the case colours and label designs which goes back to a much more innocent era of gaming.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

I have quite a few great games for the Famicom now. And the JPN version of Tetris which is truly AWFUL.

*Scoots off to Youtube quickly* Didn't know that Japanese Tetris was different to the NES one before. Blimey. So, that's three NES/Famicon Tetrises, with the Tengen one taken into account. (Or four, if you count Tetris Flash.)

Nice Famicom carts collection, BTW.

Yeah almost all Famicom games are dirt cheap. You can buy them and Super Famicom games (cart only) in decent sized bundles on Yahoo Auctions Japan for a few quid.

Edit: Lovely collection there Colonel Panic.

On 14/04/2021 at 14:15, bplus said:

How does this hold up to r type? The only side scrolling shooter I put time into is type. I tried gradius and just didn't get it. Is it worth pursuing? Is the Famicom version the best version?

Gradius is a great 8 bit conversion.. 

Last time I checked it was pretty much a £5 cart... Worth a try at this price... 

It's tough... Its all about powering up then memorising sections

Its definitely doable and fun. 

The music is iconic :)

10 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

Gradius is a great 8 bit conversion.. 

Last time I checked it was pretty much a £5 cart... Worth a try at this price... 

It's tough... Its all about powering up then memorising sections

Its definitely doable and fun. 

The music is iconic :)

I've got a new everdrive, but these days I'd just stick it on retro arch :)

Is the arcade version better?

6 hours ago, bplus said:

I've got a new everdrive, but these days I'd just stick it on retro arch :)

Is the arcade version better?

It's a great port but if you can play the arcade version.... That would be the best :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2021 at 19:42, Colonel Panic said:

I got Super Mario Bros 2 for the FDS today, so now I've got SMB 1, 2, 3 and USA for the Famicom. 

IMG_6702.thumb.jpeg.81d089c81ef818da8e999deec04c894b.jpeg

Is SMB 2 for the Famicom the lost levels ? (Aware that the version we got was the wierd reskin of some other platformer)

Totally random question. Does anyone know how much Famicom games cost in Japan back in the day? I had a nes, but games were prohibitively expensive. 40 quid was a huge sum. Always wondered if the Japanese and Americans got them cheaper.

Looks like there’s quite a bit of variation. Rockman games for instance appear to have been around 7000 yen, but Japan’s almost complete lack of inflation means that is only equivalent to around 8000 yen today. £7000 for comparison in 1990 would be over £15,000 today.

On 13/06/2021 at 07:00, bplus said:

Totally random question. Does anyone know how much Famicom games cost in Japan back in the day? I had a nes, but games were prohibitively expensive. 40 quid was a huge sum. Always wondered if the Japanese and Americans got them cheaper.

Excellent question! Though as Phillv85 points out, it's not so easy to answer. Since around 1990 Japan has had this weird inflation situation.

Below I am attaching a chart I made in 2015. So the current inflation column is out of date for 2021 sadly.

But in 1987 £1 equalled 236 yen in Japan, and $1.64 in the US. In 2015 the inflation on that £1 from 1987 was roughly double. Inflation the Yen was only x1.16.

Prices for games varied a lot. The 1983~1994 Famicom Almanac lists all the prices for every game in Japan.

Donkey Kong (1983) - 4500 yen

Super Mario 3 (1988) - 6500 yen

Deja Vu (1988) - 9800 yen

So in 1988 the conversion from Japan was about £28 for SMB3 (6500 / 228).

In 2015 the inflation would have put that £28 at around £57. However, the 6500 yen would be inflated to just 7475 yen in 2015. Which if you exchange at the 2015 rate would give you about £40.

There's a big difference between £40 and £57 - and this is down to Japan's odd lack of inflation.

For a laugh, if you converted the inflated 2015 yen value using the 1988 rate you end up with about £33.

What does this mean? I have no idea. It's all number salad!

Exchange_Rate.jpg

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

Excellent question! Though as Phillv85 points out, it's not so easy to answer. Since around 1990 Japan has had this weird inflation situation.

Below I am attaching a chart I made in 2015. So the current inflation column is out of date for 2021 sadly.

But in 1987 £1 equalled 236 yen in Japan, and $1.64 in the US. In 2015 the inflation on that £1 from 1987 was roughly double. Inflation the Yen was only x1.16.

Prices for games varied a lot. The 1983~1994 Famicom Almanac lists all the prices for every game in Japan.

Donkey Kong (1983) - 4500 yen

Super Mario 3 (1988) - 6500 yen

Deja Vu (1988) - 9800 yen

So in 1988 the conversion from Japan was about £28 for SMB3 (6500 / 228).

In 2015 the inflation would have put that £28 at around £57. However, the 6500 yen would be inflated to just 7475 yen in 2015. Which if you exchange at the 2015 rate would give you about £40.

There's a big difference between £40 and £57 - and this is down to Japan's odd lack of inflation.

For a laugh, if you converted the inflated 2015 yen value using the 1988 rate you end up with about £33.

What does this mean? I have no idea. It's all number salad!

Exchange_Rate.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Is there any advantage in having a Famicom over a nes?

I've got an NTSC nes that I'm considering getting RGB modded, but I think for 40 quid more I can have a pre modded Famicom. However I've already got a nes everdrive so probably best I don't ..