rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

Famicom Appreciation Thread

Struggling to find isopropyl unfortunately, but I made a start with a tin of electrical contact cleaner I found lurking in my garage, which I suspect is probably iso mixed with a propellant anyway, and it's got things going much better. Still far from perfect, but I can get all the games I've cleaned up running with a bit of a wiggle. Quite a lot of muck came off the PCB where the 72pin connector sits. The pins are very loose on that but I've ordered a replacement since I really can't be arsed trying to bend them all tight again.

I'm really enjoying the Zapper games! I had a prolonged Duck Hunt session yesterday followed by a blast on Mario and Double Dragon and I've got more ace games on the way courtesy of superquincey, including Mario Bros 2 &3, and Mega Man 3.

I'm going to separate out a bunch of the games that came with it which I don't want, so I'll pop them in trading here briefly before trying elsewhere, so keep your eyes peeled if you're after NES games. Mostly sports titles but there will be a couple of others.

I'm awaiting the return on my NES , I sent it away to have it RGB modded. So I went on a bit of a binge on NES games.

One of which was Paperboy. Oh my god. It's fucking awful. The 8bit computer versions are better. Christ on a (bmx) bike.

I love Paperboy! Lynx got a pretty decent conversion.

I haven't played either the NES or MS ones but having just checked them out on Youtube, the difference would appear to be night and day!

Had some free time over the holidays so finally managed to complete the Japanese version of Blaster Master (Metafight).
It's a great game , but the lack of saves/passwords makes it much harder than it needs to be.

Next up is Bucky O'Hare and maybe Zelda on the FDS.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Arctic Feather said:

Had some free time over the holidays so finally managed to complete the Japanese version of Blaster Master (Metafight).
It's a great game , but the lack of saves/passwords makes it much harder than it needs to be.

Well worth giving the remastered version on Switch a go next.

The guy who did the mod, said he'd been tinkering with the way the famicom twin is done..

Or something like that, said he'd pretty much got rid of the jail bars ...

I've just fired up Spartan x...my cam is rubbish to snap a crt...but the image is stunning.

It's crisp and colourful and no jail bars. Can't argue with that for a composite av out.

Scored over 500, 000 on my first go...although I hammered this back in the day.

IMG_20190222_163302.jpg

IMG_20190222_163314.jpg

IMG_20190222_163326.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

I love the Famicom, even better when you buy a big pile of mixed games from Japan on the cheap and just sit there for hours going through.

Pretty much what I've done today.

Going back to it soon, just watching the cricket..

Had a blast.

I'm hoping to buy contra next week :)

rolling thunder, ice hockey and smb3 are in the post as well ...

• Upvote 1

3 goes, got to final part...all 3 attempts at machine gun boss, he got me.

1 attempt, I'm managed to flying kick him just as he gets up...but then he ducked a few...spraying bullets all over the shop!

Please no spoilers if there's an easier way...I'm sure he'll get it soon.

Double dragon 2 and 3 any good? Sure I had the 2nd on the NES bitd, but not 100% on that.

On 23/02/2019 at 01:37, RastanSaga said:

The guy who did the mod, said he'd been tinkering with the way the famicom twin is done..

Or something like that, said he'd pretty much got rid of the jail bars ...

I've just fired up Spartan x...my cam is rubbish to snap a crt...but the image is stunning.

It's crisp and colourful and no jail bars. Can't argue with that for a composite av out.

Scored over 500, 000 on my first go...although I hammered this back in the day.

IMG_20190222_163302.jpg

IMG_20190222_163314.jpg

IMG_20190222_163326.jpg

The NES / Famicom port of this is absolutely excellent - apparently it was done by Nintendo themselves.

I love the different coloured plastic that Famicom carts came in.  A pity that idea never really took off, apart from a couple of yellow / orange Gameboy games.

• Upvote 1

Billy Lee!

Shame my cam can't picture how colourful and sharp this av mod is.

Obv it's no Rgb, but for the majority of games I have, the picture is decent.

I've lost count how many times I've died on the final boss.

I'll be sure to update if I beat it (double dragon)

Also played a fair bit of rolling thunder...I'm a long way off finishing that though.

IMG_20190421_230119.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm very keen to get the Xbox one I promised myself!

Then after that does happen...these are on my wishlist, not necessarily going to be bought in one go.

Juju denetsu (Toki)

Holy Diver

Daiku no gen-san (Hammerin Harry)

Circus Charlie

Ninja gaiden III.

Presumably these will be bought from Japanese sellers, so, will add a cart here and there to the main wants on the list.

I'm not sure I'm too keen on getting an everdrive...I don't have a pc, so..I'd ideally have to have an sd card loaded. Today I played Popeye for about 30/40 mins, then it's been rotating double dragon and rolling thunder. I'm not sure I would of done that if I had the everdrive, plus I love the art (mostly) on original carts.

Holy diver is a nice example, pictured.

s-l1600 (40).jpg

s-l1600 (41).jpg

• Upvote 2

I beat gunman! (Double Dragon)

then out comes Jimmy Lee!

I didn't have much energy...I was all excited and he beat me with 1 hit. mf!

Time for another session with it...This was earlier in the day...

So close...

I started this properly earlier. Kid Niki Radical Ninja.

It's superb. Music is a tad repetitive, sadly.

Will definitely buy the hamster port on switch (when I get around to the switch)

The jump mechanics are brilliant....controls are tight.

I like the cutscene to start the game, an arrow shoots his pet bird...then off he goes.

It's quite creative for its time (arcade irem 86. Home release a year later - I think)

Gets tough too!

Anyone else played this one?

IMG_20190424_162257.jpg

IMG_20190424_162317.jpg

IMG_20190424_162331.jpg

IMG_20190424_162343.jpg

• Upvote 1