DadMusic

Alright, post a tune that you love that you would probably never have heard if it wasn't for your dad. Yeah, it's a bit like "Inheritance Tracks" on Radio Four's "Saturday Live". I know.

Here's my choice. This, incidentally, is also the tune I'd use as my "walk-on" music if I became a professional darts player.

This is from the album that my dad would play most Friday or Saturday nights in the 1980s while getting ready to go out with my mum. To me, it's the reassuring sound that something is happening in the world. Throw some Brut 33 around the place for extra realism.

Coming soon: MumMusic! ... followed by AuntMusic! (not really)

My Dad had dreadful taste in music, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were the main staples for the long car journeys when I was a kid.

It gets worse though, after my parents split up, it was around the time Bryan Adams was at number one with Everything I do I do it for you, and it was all he would play when he had us for weekends. It got so bad, we couldn't even leave the car until the bloody song had finished, with my Dad locking the doors, so my brothers and I couldn't escape the torture our ears were receiving.

My Dad had dreadful taste in music, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were the main staples for the long car journeys when I was a kid.

It gets worse though, after my parents split up, it was around the time Brain Adams was at number one with Everything I do I do it for you, and it was all he would play when he had us for weekends. It got so bad, we couldn't even leave the car until the bloody song had finished, with my Dad locking the doors, so my brothers and I couldn't escape the torture our ears were receiving.

It's Bryan :hmm: .

It gets worse though, after my parents split up, it was around the time Bryan Adams was at number one with Everything I do I do it for you, and it was all he would play when he had us for weekends. It got so bad, we couldn't even leave the car until the bloody song had finished, with my Dad locking the doors, so my brothers and I couldn't escape the torture our ears were receiving.

You might want to read this:

http://freakytrigger.co.uk/popular/2011/05/bryan-adams-everything-i-do-i-do-it-for-you/

(Although I suppose you feel a bit more strongly about it than he does in the last sentence!)

My dad is mostly responsible for getting me into the Kinks, the Beatles, Cream and King Crimson. And for spectacularly putting me off Bob Dylan through consistent attempting to get me to appreciate him by forcing to sit through albums at a time of his tone-deaf singing. So that backfired a bit. But yeah, thanks to the selection being broad and not really osbcure there's nothing really interesting enough to post an example of, really.

On the other hand, my mum's partner (lived with my mum from when I was two, so effectively stepdad) didn't have a very broad effect on my taste in music, but did instill in me a deep love for jukeboxes and the joy of a musical household as he'd inevitably fire the old Wurlitzer up to belt out whatever singles he'd stuck in that month. Of all the music that he liked to pipe out, the songs that stuck with me throughout my childhood were Jerry Lee Lewis' Great Balls of Fire, Prince's Partyman, Billy Idol's Rebel Yell and this piece of wonder:

(I only found out what that actual track was thanks to this forum last year, finally, having never watched the series)

Lots of love for all of those songs still (alongside an eventual, though not really linked, realisation that Prince is fucking amazing generally), and the urge to always listen to them at ridiculous volumes in the middle of the day, much to the gf's chagrin - alas, she grew up in a house of quiet, so loud music is generally frowned upon :(

This is a good one, I remember my dad having the Joe Jackson album "I'm the man" on cassette and playing it. Revisited it today.

He also listened to a lot of Bowie. And also Northern Soul and Motown but I can never remember specific song titles or artists names of that stuff.