rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Orko

Stuff you miss about gaming

I miss getting a game and it being a special occasion.

Nowadays with disposable income, games are a dime a dozen and have lost a lot of the sheen. I don't treat them as well either, I used to have them all in pristine condition, now they barely last a week in my collection.

I miss spending weeks reading and re-reading Mean Machines, obsessing over the reviews and looking at every inch of each screenshot. I'd read the review for Super Probotector so many times, longing for the day it would be mine.

Those days where you had your brother/sister/friend sitting beside you on the bed, playing Super Metroid all the way through in an all nighter during the summer holiday.

Taking a sickie and playing Wonder Boy III.

Wringing enjoyment out of really average games like Transbot and Ghost House. Waking early to have a go before school.

Playing through Black Belt twice because it takes a half hour a time, and your friend is coming to pick you up in an hour.

Getting past stage 3 in R Type without losing a life. Your first go on Devil Crush. Playing Mystical Ninja. Strider on the MegaDrive. Getting a PC Engine by accident because the guy in the games shop wanted a Master System for his son.

I have loads of fond memories of gaming and I miss it feeling like that.

• Upvote 6

I had to bust out a pen and paper and map out the dungeon I'd gotten hopelessly lost in while I was playing Planescape: Torment earlier :wub:

I haven't had to do that since I played Shining in the Darkness a long old time ago :) I miss being able to and needing to dedicate serious time to learn a game. I remember mapping out all of Super Metroid on graph paper, including where every pickup was, so that I could plan the faster way to 100% it (got it down to 1hr 40 in the end).

• Upvote 1

Finding passwords in the back of manuals of rented games. And high scores for that matter. Not only did it give you some sort of competitive factor, even when playing solo, it also reminded you that someone loved the game just as much as you did. Leaderboards are so much more anonymous than beating some kid up the road, even if you didn't actually know them.

• Upvote 1

100% agree! We live in an era of bigger TVs than ever, but fewer splitscreen games. I get it's because they want to push you towards Live/PS+, but I still miss the gaming nights that we used to have, sitting there for hours, moving only long enough to order pizza or a toilet break!

Whilst there are less there are still great local multiplayer games and all the old ones still work. Me and a few friends still do this, although now it's more of a planned event than an inevitable outcome of us spending an evening together.

I miss magazines being the no.1 gaming source for news (save for the know-it-all kid in the playground whose dad got him Trashman 3 from America). You'd buy Crash and read about stuff that was brand new, that you'd never even heard of. There'd be a screenshot and a blurb, but until the review came out, you weren't flooded with information.

I miss seeing the poster for a game one month, and it being out the next. Now it's all 'we're announcing this game" and 3 years later you're just getting to play it.

I miss Ultimate games. Absolutely mysterious posters, straight out of nowhere. And you knew they'd be something special.

Waiting for the new issue of Crash. I remember once going into town (a two mile walk) before school hoping to get the new issue early because there was a cover tape. But even before then, going into the newsagent and seeing the new issue there.

I used to love buying magazines for a machine I was thinking or hoping to get. Buying something like ST Action or Amiga Format.

Buying a game and reading the manual/inlay on the bus home. Learning the keys before you'd even played it.

Birthday and Christmas games. New stuff that you'd not be able to afford normally. I remember one year getting TLL, another getting Yie Ar Kung Fu and Back 2 Skool. Racing home after school to play them before having to go to bed.

Playing a game to completion, then playing it again. I remember once completing the utterly terrible amiga version of Double Dragon about eight times in one day.

I miss having time. When you could get up on Sunday and know you had 12 hours of gaming ahead of you. There was no grass to cut, no kids to look after, no wife to go shopping with, no work to attend.

Computer markets, when they'd sell shareware demos. You'd go and end up with stuff like One Must Fall, Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen. Nowadays it's just rubbish. A few hardware stalls and the rest selling fake Beats headphones or the like.

LAN gaming. Some of the best gaming memories are from playing Doom, Duke Nukem and some weird karting game whose name I can't recall. So many good laughs.

Writing up the inlay of TDK 90, in your best handwriting.

• Upvote 6

Playing on a Commodore Pet, green screen. Some maze game. Shit visuals as it used keyboard letters as monsters. Still it was the first videogame I think I played.

Also swapping C90 tapes at our computer club with mates who had a decent enough hi-fi to copy them. My brother writing a very good program for Missile-Attack on the BBC Acorn and it being published in big computer mag in the early 80's. Maybe PC Computing or the like.

Whilst there are less there are still great local multiplayer games and all the old ones still work. Me and a few friends still do this, although now it's more of a planned event than an inevitable outcome of us spending an evening together.

Any recommendations? Days gone by included a variety of football games, 'Goldeneye', 'Mario Kart', 'Left 4 Dead', 'Halo and a bunch more, but happy to give anything a go if it's fun!

I used to love buying magazines for a machine I was thinking or hoping to get. Buying something like ST Action or Amiga Format.

This, so much. I had a bunch of those official launch magazines they used to do for consoles I never owned until years later, which I'd bought during that incredibly exciting time where you're trying to decide if you want it or not.

LAN gaming. Some of the best gaming memories are from playing Doom, Duke Nukem and some weird karting game whose name I can't recall. So many good laughs.

Skunny Kart?

http://www.giantbomb.com/skunny-kart/3030-11718/

I miss playing demo discs over and over because I couldn't afford to buy games, there was something great about only having one track or one level of a game as it left it up to your imagination how good the rest of the game was.

Often after rinsing a demo if I eventually could afford the game I was usually disappointed with what the full game was actually like.

• Upvote 1

I miss having time. When you could get up on Sunday and know you had 12 hours of gaming ahead of you. There was no grass to cut, no kids to look after, no wife to go shopping with, no work to attend.

More than anything else, I think I miss this the most.

I miss playing demo discs over and over because I couldn't afford to buy games, there was something great about only having one track or one level of a game as it left it up to your imagination how good the rest of the game was.

Often after rinsing a demo if I eventually could afford the game I was usually disappointed with what the full game was actually like.

This! Demo discs were brilliant, in their own way an event in themselves. They were almost like interactive game news TV shows, and a lot of them had their own 'identity' due to the graphical design and other presentation - Demo 1 and the Segaflash volumes spring to mind. I spent so many hours on the demos of Tombi, Die Hard Arcade and Steep Slope Sliders. :)

• Upvote 1

PC demos were awesome back in the day. I think my parents knew this and basically just got me PC Zone every other month rather than actually buying any games. I remember many hours lost on the 400-second Grand Theft Auto trial and the Carmageddon Christmas demo.

No not skunny kart, though I do remember that!

Just looked it up - Super Karts PC , from 1995. Looks awful now but we had some great times playing it.

No not skunny kart, though I do remember that!

Just looked it up - Super Karts PC , from 1995. Looks awful now but we had some great times playing it.

I loved Superkarts, it was one of the first games on my 486 PC that was on CD, it had from what I remember an amazing soundtrack and secret routes on the tracks which hid cash collectables.

One of first PC 'big box' games along with Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max.

• Upvote 1

PC demos were awesome back in the day. I think my parents knew this and basically just got me PC Zone every other month rather than actually buying any games. I remember many hours lost on the 400-second Grand Theft Auto trial and the Carmageddon Christmas demo.

*wavy lines*

I got a demo of Xcom off the front of PC Zone and played the one encounter to death for seemingly months. Started my love affair with squad-level turn based strategy games.

Any recommendations? Days gone by included a variety of football games, 'Goldeneye', 'Mario Kart', 'Left 4 Dead', 'Halo and a bunch more, but happy to give anything a go if it's fun!

The local multiplayer games which get the most action between me, my friends who still play games and my kids are mostly a bit older. Portal 2 and Minecraft are the favourites, Minecraft is fantastic in multiplayer because it's so free form so you can dip in and out of co-operating but also do things on yout own. Portal 2 local co-op is spectacular, like everything with the word Portal written on it. I've played through it a bunch of times with different people whilst forcing them to play it with me.

Skate 2 also gets a bit of time and other than that it's often the Wii U. Nintendoland, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U and Mario Kart 8 will soon be joined by Smash Bros and maybe a Mario party game (they're surprisingly good with a few people). All of the Wii branded games are fun to varying degrees.

Oh and Everybody's Golf, the single finest series of sports games ever made.

This! Demo discs were brilliant, in their own way an event in themselves. They were almost like interactive game news TV shows, and a lot of them had their own 'identity' due to the graphical design and other presentation - Demo 1 and the Segaflash volumes spring to mind. I spent so many hours on the demos of Tombi, Die Hard Arcade and Steep Slope Sliders. :)

I think me and my friends probably got as much entertainment out of the GTA demo on the front of the Official Playstation Magazine as I do now from most full games I buy. It felt like more of an event as well.

The local multiplayer games which get the most action between me, my friends who still play games and my kids are mostly a bit older. Portal 2 and Minecraft are the favourites, Minecraft is fantastic in multiplayer because it's so free form so you can dip in and out of co-operating but also do things on yout own. Portal 2 local co-op is spectacular, like everything with the word Portal written on it. I've played through it a bunch of times with different people whilst forcing them to play it with me.

Skate 2 also gets a bit of time and other than that it's often the Wii U. Nintendoland, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U and Mario Kart 8 will soon be joined by Smash Bros and maybe a Mario party game (they're surprisingly good with a few people). All of the Wii branded games are fun to varying degrees.

Oh and Everybody's Golf, the single finest series of sports games ever made.

We played through, and loved 'Portal 2'. Hadn't thought of 'Minecraft' though. Will need to bring that one up to the guys!

Cheers!

We played through, and loved 'Portal 2'. Hadn't thought of 'Minecraft' though. Will need to bring that one up to the guys!

Cheers!

They'll say no, my friends did. So I just put in on and nagged them into trying it and once it clicked I abandoned them to their own endeavours.

They'll say no, my friends did. So I just put in on and nagged them into trying it and once it clicked I abandoned them to their own endeavours.

Bribes required then. :)

What kind of game is 'Hidden in Plain Sight'?

Hidden in Plain Sight is a collection of minigames with sprite graphics. Generally the aim of the game is to kill the other players and complete objectives (defeat NPCs, reach end of the level, etc) whilst avoiding being killed yourself. The twist is that you are in a crowd of NPCs with no indication as to who you or your opponents are. The game generally plays out with each player trying to work out which sprite is theirs without standing out too much in the crowd and then trying to complete the game objectives whilst killing the other players' characters and avoiding being identified and killed yourself.

Coincidentally I played it for the first time last weekend with my son and a friend who was visiting, and we really enjoyed it. Because the rules are so simple the game can be picked up really quickly and the games are so short that you can experiment with various game modes and tactics. Well worth the £1.99 price.

The Death Race mode will lead to much fun on its own. A line of characters shuffle from one end of the screen to the other, up to four of which are human controlled. Each human has a gun with a single bullet that they can use to take out anyone they suspect is another player, and also the ability to run - a button that instantly gives away your true state. CPU controlled characters walk for a bit, stop dead, walk a bit more, all randomly.

So the game plays out with people pretending to be CPU characters whilst also trying to be close enough to the lead to be able to win, while simultaneously scouring the rest of the pack looking for any giveaways. There's much to strategise over. Do you keep your bullet in reserve in case you need to take out someone making a break for the line, or do you use it as soon as you identify a player? How far up the pack do you want to be? Should you make a break for it now, or give it a couple more metres, knowing your last remaining foe still has his bullet?

It's absolutely glorious.

• Upvote 1