IGNORED

Wheeler Dealers & Fast N Loud

PaB

They could rename it "Wheeler Failers" and it can just be an hour long show of Mike enthusing to the person selling the car about how much he loves it before offering them a knock down price and being refused, and then trying to buy parts at a breakers yard before being told "that's the price, take it or leave it" and then finally selling it at a profit of approximately 10 English pounds (whilst forgetting/ignoring the 100+ hours of labour that went into refurbishing it).

It works now because the wheeler dealering is kept to a minimum, and the majority of time is devoted to the refurb. If that ratio changes, what's the point of watching a show that is essentially a fat cockney browsing eBay or Autotrader?

Most Discovery shows eventually end up going to shit - The obvious example is American Chopper - The very early days of the show were interesting and good to watch as they were about how they designed and made custom bikes, and then the producers turned it into a show about a dysfunctional family. Pretty much everything on the channel is now reality TV.

It's weird how they underestimate the car-as-project element of it. The other night they bought a Mini off a teenager, covered it in carbon fibre vinyl, and through some wizardry it wound up looking like some excellent mad punk vehicle when it all came together, probably partly because of Edd being a bit of a wizard at knowing how to make a crap car look great with a few choice changes.

It's weird how they underestimate the car-as-project element of it. The other night they bought a Mini off a teenager, covered it in carbon fibre vinyl, and through some wizardry it wound up looking like some excellent mad punk vehicle when it all came together, probably partly because of Edd being a bit of a wizard at knowing how to make a crap car look great with a few choice changes.

You know what, if Edd turns his YouTube channel into something like Adam Savage One Day Builds but for cars he'll make a mint off advertising alone. I could happily watch someone take apart a gearbox and rebuild it like they do on the show week in, week out.

• 5 years later...

Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars on quest is brilliant. No antics or bullshit, the family companies and people in sheds they find to sort out the cars is inspiring. A proper enthusiasts program where you see what goes into making the replacement parts not just the fitting or what you. Highly recommended if you're into this stuff.

I enjoyed fast n loud. But could see the wheels are coming off (boom, boom)  Not entirely surprised it was cancelled.

Misfit garage was good to watch too.  Especially given how they funded projects as a partnership.

Another great series i enjoyed was Mark Evans "a car is born" and his other "is born" projects.  Was good to see other stuff being built... A plane and a helecopter.

I think it's because I work in IT and everything is digital ie "not real" that I really enjoy watching people build physical things.

Has Wheeler Dealers been renewed for another series?  I know they did another dream car series recently which was ok. 

Flippin bangers was another decent one but only seems to have a couple of series. They were operating in the £500-1000 area. 

5 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Has Wheeler Dealers been renewed for another series?  I know they did another dream car series recently which was ok. 

Have you seen the latest series where Mike is back in England with a new mekboy, Elvis, (whom i believe was in Dream Car)? That's the latest series and should be more iirc.

1 hour ago, McFly said:

Have you seen the latest series where Mike is back in England with a new mekboy, Elvis, (whom i believe was in Dream Car)? That's the latest series and should be more iirc.

That’s the one. 

3 hours ago, Simbo said:

Another great series i enjoyed was Mark Evans "a car is born" and his other "is born" projects.  Was good to see other stuff being built... A plane and a helecopter.

It was the sort of thing they showed on a bank holiday, its been a good while since I've seen one of his shows.

There was a series on History of two guys buying old retro tech and fixing them up which was cool.

Edit: Vintage Tech Hunters