Aphex Twin

Mr Do 71

He's out of control and must be stopped. :angry::)

Listening to the soundcloud stuff from my iPod on my speakers, don't think I've ever really listened to medievil rave Mk2 [pre plague mix] before, it's pretty great. There's so many sections to it and it just keeps on going when you think it's run its course.

edit: only just seen the top 30 list made ! I don't have Pretend Analog. I have 206 tracks..

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't wait for a new ep of unreleased tunes from 94. :D:P;):o^_^8-):lol::unsure::)<_<-_-:doh::wacko::facepalm::ph34r::mad::angry::blush::blink::eyebrows::blink2:(null):sherlock::seanr::sealclap::slowclap::rolleyes::(

edit:

The pioneering British producer’s record label, Warp, confirmed to the Guardian that the campaign is official. The album would would follow the release of Syro in 2014, the Cornish producer’s first full-length release in 13 years. In 2017 he released a standalone single, 3 Gerald Remix /24 TSIM 2, and launched a bespoke listening platform containing unreleased material.

im so sorry for assuming the worst. now lets hope all his gear he used to make acid went up in flames and he's making music out of the sounds of doors creaking. 

20 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Can't wait for a new ep of unreleased tunes from 94. :D:P;):o^_^8-):lol::unsure::)<_<-_-:doh::wacko::facepalm::ph34r::mad::angry::blush::blink::eyebrows::blink2:(null):sherlock::seanr::sealclap::slowclap::rolleyes::(

edit:

im so sorry for assuming the worst. now lets hope all his gear he used to make acid went up in flames and he's making music out of the sounds of doors creaking. 

The sounds of doors creaking? Plenty of that in "Computer Controlled Accoustic Instruments v2"

Yeah i think that ep is the best thing he's released since The Tuss. It's just pretty slight. I still don't know if he's Steinvord, or if it's a collaboration.

Not bothered about tunes, just exploration. Stuff like Gwarek2 is brilliant. As I see it, he's not bothered about releasing his interesting stuff because he knows the tunes are what people want. Syro was just one release, but subsequent releases (minus computer controlled instruments) aren't leaving me with any anticipation whatsoever of forthcoming inspired brilliance. Not to be negative..i hope it surprises..

God I hate acid. It's managed to reduce genius to mediocrity.

On 31/07/2018 at 14:56, Loik V credern said:

Yeah i think that ep is the best thing he's released since The Tuss. It's just pretty slight. I still don't know if he's Steinvord, or if it's a collaboration.

Not bothered about tunes, just exploration. Stuff like Gwarek2 is brilliant. As I see it, he's not bothered about releasing his interesting stuff because he knows the tunes are what people want. Syro was just one release, but subsequent releases (minus computer controlled instruments) aren't leaving me with any anticipation whatsoever of forthcoming inspired brilliance. Not to be negative..i hope it surprises..

God I hate acid. It's managed to reduce genius to mediocrity.

What did you think of cheetah?

Those teaser artworks are fucking awesome

On 02/08/2018 at 15:13, Minion said:

What did you think of cheetah?

It left no impression. I put it on and forgot i was listening to it by the end.

this write up on bleep

To our ears Cheetah is a continuation of the endless proof that comes with each new record that Aphex is one of the greatest experimental musicians the world has ever seen. Much like Iannis Xenakis's experiments in 1961 pioneering the use of computers to compose music, Aphex Twin in 2016 is a sound scientist whose tools others can't even begin to comprehend the workings of. By using a piece of impossibly rare equipment to compose an extended player, he has done what few others ever will, producing sounds out of the machine that, at the time of its creation, its designers could never have even dreamed of.

is very hyperbolic. He's right - i'm not able to appreciate the eeking out of this music from the hardware he used; unless you've tried to do the same you can't really. It's so equipment focussed, i get very amazed at a lot of electronic music but it has nothing to do with the difficulties of using the tools used. It should be irrelevant. Obviously, it's richard d james and he inherently understands how to compose because he lives and breathes music and has more knowledge of his gear than anyone else including the people who made it, so his results will be better than someone else who hasn't got the experience or those qualities. Same goes for venetian snares' acid tunes. I liked it more years ago but now i find the sound palette so samey, there's no range in the timbre. Electronic music without contrast eventually bores me. It has no longevity for me. I'll never tire of Ventolin, but i can't listen to analord now, and i was really into some of those tracks. I think that release made sense; previously he pushed computers/audio manipulation and released his epic drukqs. Then retreated like an ageing musician into his rare and ancient hardware and released on vinyl for fans that was entirely acid. That was just good music without surprises. The Tuss was a mixture of acid and his prepared piano. From there i think he should have got back on track.

As brilliantly done as the adverts are and how impressive it is they've travelled the globe, i find the teasing tedious. Just..release something, or stop it. I mean, actually release something. Most bands or artists have their eps come and go and you wouldn't even know. I consider Syro a waste of time. Feel like i've been overfed that sound and like adverts i just switch off and blank it out.

On 01/08/2018 at 15:57, Wintermute said:

When a man is tired of acid, he is tired of life.

Yeah I'm tired of life. That's why I rely on art to excite me. If it doesn't it's too disappointing to even be aware of it. It has to jolt me, surprise and excite me. There's plenty of well constructed 'good' music out there. I like the purity and potential of electronic music.

Watching his mtv interview from 1996 again the other day the presenter was like; so what are you working on at the moment? And he said; manipulating and mixing his voice with famous peoples voices. And you think; fuck i want to hear what his results of that will be. So good or bad doesn't matter, I'd like to be excited again.

@Loik V credern Wow that's a shame about cheetah, for me it's the best thing he's done since the 90's, funky, melodic, getting tunes out of the percussive elements, (oh the handclaps) I love it! Lot's of the analords aren't that great, 2 is my favourite but Cheetah felt joyful and man the video and story around the video are so good.

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b88k6l

I've always thought I'd never get a tatoo but I am seriously considering getting a discreet Aphex logo one, as lame as that is.