rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Scruff

Archeage

So, anyone in the 3rd beta which starts today or any Founders packs purchased?

This isn't one of the MMO treasure chests that the fishy Dr lovingly compiles, rather an inquiry to whether anyone is actually playing or planning on playing?

*first impressions: It's very pretty, ridiculous draw distance (in a good way) you can use a hang glider, build a ship and become a pirate (if you want) search on the ocean floor for treasure (if you have a diving bell) and get creature cubs that you train up and grow to become mounts.

Have heard this mentioned but never really taken any notice. Just watched a 20 minute video going over character creation, mounts and a few other bits and I'm now quite tempted!

Is it more sandboxy? Or is it still along the lines of WoW in structure?

Anywhere I can get a beta invite?

It's super sandbox and they've recently implemented a patch that gave lots of quests and stuffs, so it's a bit of both.

It seems to be very group/guild themed, with the amount it takes to make a ship (not a clipper or fishing boat) and go travelling, looking for treasure or engaging in piracy. Also building your own houses and some of the other crafting stuff seems quite labour intensive.

Combat is very old school which I actually like. Out of all the dodge/duck/dive and dodge combat of recent MMOs, the only one that really hit the nail on the head was Tera, so going back to EQ2/WoW combat is quite refreshing. The skill system seems quite good too with picking a class, then at 5 you can add skills from another class and I think you can pick a third too to gain skills from. I'm not sure how it works regarding levelling of additional classes (you need higher levels for other skills obvs) but you can gain slots so you can swap out different configuration on the fly at higher levels.

I did try looking for an invite earlier for you Spork but the usual places had run out :(

Quite a good quick run down of some of the things:

• Upvote 1

Just watched this. The whole hauling/trading/dodging piracy thing is one of my favourite things about EvE and this seems to do just that in a fantasy setting. Oh my!

Looks alright. Bit bland. Lots of pop up in that vid. It's all very well having 120 class possibilities, but how are they going to a) balance them and b ) stop cookie cutter builds becoming the norm? Korean MMO automatically makes me think of grindy grindy endless grinding, so I'm keen to see how this develops and moves away from that, if at all.

Looks alright. Bit bland. Lots of pop up in that vid. It's all very well having 120 class possibilities, but how are they going to a) balance them and b ) stop cookie cutter builds becoming the norm? Korean MMO automatically makes me think of grindy grindy endless grinding, so I'm keen to see how this develops and moves away from that, if at all.

Yeah, I think the pop-up is a consequence of having such massive draw distances. I mean, it's no unreal engine bad but it is noticeable. No idea regarding the balancing. I've long since given up worrying as I've yet to find an MMO/Dev that didn't favour certain builds to the detriment of others, so if something looks flash, that is about the extent of me caring about balance :D

And you're also correct about being Korean being an automatic warning flag. It is probably more 'grindy' than most in the levelling due to it being so heavily sandbox originally (that's been muted somewhat for the western release with patches and tweaking) but I've never really had a problem with levelling via mob grinding as it was the first form of levelling I was introduced to via SWG. If you've only known themepark then I can see why it'd been much more of an issue.

You can apparently steal peoples crops, boats and caravans. This gets you a wanted status and a criminal record and when you die you get transported to a court where you're tried via a chat channel (I did a Quintesson yesterday and INNOCENT-ed someone :D) If you get sent down you have to spend time in a prison (which you can escape from).

The ideas are there, be good to see how it is realised.

This is good. Everyone should play it.

Is that good enough for you TC?

No!

You didn't even mention your pig!

This is Spork's little piglet. Isn't he adorable? :wub:

Spork bought him and didn't buy/make any food so he's probably dead now :(

Don't abuse farmyard animals the way Spork does (!) Join Archeage today and take up farming so you can make the combined feed to keep little piglets like Hampton alive and well.

2ishaig.jpg

Too much to go into wids.

The crafting is ridiculously in-depth. Me and Spork have spent a fortune swapping out skills and stuff to see what class we end up with (currently Spork is a Hellweaver and I'm a Liberator, but we've had Doom Lord, Blighter, Shaman, Abolisher and loads of others) we got a mount (that you have to care for, can armour up and fight on and levels up) a row boat (which I just rowed down a river, over two waterfalls and out into the ocean) and a glider that allows you to fly thought the air, and drop explosive barrels on people (if you've chopped down trees to make lumber and crafted gunpowder).

It's all in a seemless world, with housing, growing, crafting, piracy, prison (if you get caught after committing criminal acts) and more stuff than we've even touched upon.

I'll leave it that me and Spork are in a family now, and he's registered as 'Scruffster's member' which is as accurate a description of Spork* as you could ever hope to have :D

*teach you for sending me a mail saying I smell :hmm:

Tootsie needs to stay away from this game or it will utterly consume her.

• Upvote 1

I am mostly looking forward to building a ship and hauling goods across the world to sell for profit while avoiding player pirates.

It all starts off as a regular theme park mmo but at level 14 it's all starting to open up into something more sandbox.

I never played SWG but this does kind of remind me of EVE in a basic sense.

Plus it's going to be free to play!

Oh and you have to learn languages for the other races too!

• Upvote 1

I said to Spork that instead of looking forward to doing dungeons and stuff, in this game it'll be looking forward to hauling a ship's cargo hold full of player made good across the continents for max profit, with players manning the harpoon guns and cannons in case a kraken or pirates show up. Alternatively, it could be getting the HMS Dickbutt ready to go and commit acts of piracy and plundering as much cargo as you can carry. There are dungeons in the game, but the meat of the game will be the sandbox elements: the crafting, the animal husbandry (have to grow and look after certain animals to get their fur to use for crafting armour ect. and you can mate them too - with gender pairs, not yourself :unsure: ) the forming groups to go out and hunt for other players or to kill large groups of things the world bosses (we'd encountered two by level 12) and just the general exploring.

It really does remind me of SWG and the games success will be if people can de-programme themselves from the quest grind that has been so prevalent in MMOs for the last 10 years. Find a spot on the horizon to grow some crops (different types need different climates) explore the sea bed for treasure, just get in a boat and sail away, look after your cows, goats, sheep, yaks, pigs, chickens, turkeys and whatnot, jump from the highest mountain and glide over the land for as long as you can hit the thermals.

If you can do that, you'll have fun. If you're looking for innovative quests and rare loot from mobs, it seems like it'll be anathema to you.

The biggest criticism I have so far is the profanity filter is clearly borked. Shit, cunt, fuck, arse, mutherfucker are all fine. Running, jumping, morning, swimming and anything ending in ING gets filtered :lol:

Sounds bloody great to me!

Every Twitch stream i've tried to watch looked like PvP, which i've no interest in any more unless its arena-based.

Colour me interested, and will try and get hold of a key for the open beta which is up next, right?

I think PvP is a big part of the game, mainly because so many of the systems wouldn't have any spice without it (the trade caravans, expeditions to get rare stuff from the other continents, sailing the high seas in The Black Pig etc.) but from what I've seen, the game will be best enjoyed with as many people as you can muster. You'll never be able to do all the tradeskills so it's best for people to split them and clean up, and although you can hire mercenaries to help protect you while you're hawking your wares, nothing says 'leave me the fuck alone' like 20 armed guild members protecting you :D

I don't massively enjoy PvP and I know you like arenas so you can clean up against scrubs wids :D but I reckon even ardent carebears will enjoy large scale PvP if it is done right in this (not experienced any yet so can't comment).

Oh, and you can have someone riding pillion on your mount but some of the incidental animations when that happens are a bit fruity :eyebrows:

I don't massively enjoy PvP and I know you like arenas so you can clean up against scrubs wids

Yeah that certainly helps ^_^

But mainly I don't enjoy the chaos of the large scale battles, when I die I like to know how. Smaller more focused PvP gives me a better idea of what i'm doing (and who's doing me).

Don't play it toots, seriously!

You would get a farm up and running and would spend your entire life tending your crops and milking your yaks and making strawberry jam.

Squeezed a couple of hours in and while the questing part seems run of the mill (which I don't mind too much) there looks to be a whole load of other ways to fill your time. I tried occultism with auramancy (to level 9) then battlerage with auramancy (to level 8), quite interested to see how it expands when you unlock the third class. I read you can play purely by doing professions, my dreams of making a cat-race character that just logs might have finally come true (crafting was dull as hell in FFXIV).

It all feels very polished and i'll definitely be giving the full game a look (for the standard month), i'm really intrigued by the possibilities.