Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Quantum Break

logo-time-is-power-qb-glow.png

By Remedy Entertainment

Official Site

Release Date: April 5th 2016

ABOUT

Quantum Break blurs the line between television and gameplay, integrating the two into one seamless, uniquely immersive experience. Its a revolutionary entertainment experience that weaves the cinematic action of intense gameplay with the tension and drama of scripted television, creating a world where each has a direct impact on the other. Launching in 2015, Quantum Break will deliver an unprecedented fusion of cinematic gameplay and high-quality, live-action storytelling exclusively on Xbox One.

IMAGES

Spoiler

QuantumBreak_Gameplay_Screenshot_41.jpg

QuantumBreak_Gameplay_Screenshot_31.jpg

QuantumBreak_Gameplay_Screenshot_21.jpg

QuantumBreak_Gameplay_Screenshot_11.jpg

VIDEOS

Spoiler

Looks like a Remedy game!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have serious doubts as to the ability of Remedy to create a competent TV series. I love their games and everything, but Alan Wake and Max Payne really only worked if you assumed they were going for some kind of schlocky, deliberately hammy, style. If you assumed they were serious, jesus.

Also, a game that 'blurs the line between television and gameplay' sounds like it's aspirational developer-speak for 'punishingly long cutscenes'. I don't want a game to blur the lines between TV and games; that's a line I really want to stay as un-blurred as possible. I don't really see what the game has to gain from trying to Brundlefly itself into becoming some kind of bastard TV series hybrid, except for incredibly long, expensively produced cutscenes.

• Upvote 1

I have serious doubts as to the ability of Remedy to create a competent TV series. I love their games and everything, but Alan Wake and Max Payne really only worked if you assumed they were going for some kind of schlocky, deliberately hammy, style. If you assumed they were serious, jesus.

Also, a game that 'blurs the line between television and gameplay' sounds like it's aspirational developer-speak for 'punishingly long cutscenes'. I don't want a game to blur the lines between TV and games; that's a line I really want to stay as un-blurred as possible. I don't really see what the game has to gain from trying to Brundlefly itself into becoming some kind of bastard TV series hybrid, except for incredibly long, expensively produced cutscenes.

Have you played MGS4? :P

I have to agree with K. Additionally I didn't find the gameplay video very inspiring, slo-mo tableaus aside. I really like Remedy too, but I mainly liked Alan Wake despite the gameplay wearing thin because of the Twin Peaks influences. They have to sell this one to me a little more.

B-b-b-but that last part was brilliant? Especially the introduction of the "Don't-give-a-fuck-about-your-time-manipulating-abilities-Mr.Quantum-Break" enemies.

I really, really love the first 2 Max Payne games and thought Alan Wake was nothing more than decent but sadly never lived up to it's potential. This however seems to be more along the lines of Max and less Alan which I like! I couldn't care less about the TV show though.

The actual game looks pretty good, and I think we're well overdue another Remedy game. But my main concern even without the telegameatron fusion nonsense would be the el generico characters, and the fact that we'll have to sit through (possibly) hours of them Remedy-ing at each other is pretty alarming.

To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't scaled back that bit already, what with the shutdown of the Xbox TV division and the shift of focus away from the launch-era set-top box stuff.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The actual game looks pretty good, and I think we're well overdue another Remedy game. But my main concern even without the telegameatron fusion nonsense would be the el generico characters, and the fact that we'll have to sit through (possibly) hours of them Remedy-ing at each other is pretty alarming.

To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't scaled back that bit already, what with the shutdown of the Xbox TV division and the shift of focus away from the launch-era set-top box stuff.

"Remedy-ing at each other"

Bravo. :lol:

I don't know how they've done it but that sure is an incredibly cool time freeze effect. Me likey!

I agree, looks fantastic. Initially I was disappointed it wasn't Alan Wake 2 but this looks the business.

• Upvote 1

Actually, having watched the whole of the demo now, the setpiece bits with the tableaux of frozen time are pretty spectacular - exactly the kind of thing that would be too expensive and difficult to do very much with in a film, but is perfectly suited to a videogame.

The main guy's posture is terrible though, he walks like an ape.

I love those time freezes almost as much as I love Sam Lake's voice. Not sold om the gameplay yet though, so far it's too much running into cover and freezing bullets. Hope there is more to it than that, as the concept is quite cool.

People always walk at a strange jaunty angle in games now. Think Ubisoft started it with one of the Assassin's Creed games and went to fuckin' town in the latest Splinter Cell.
There's always a woman with a sexy voice talking on a radio. Always.

This looks so fuckin' dull. Amazing technically but dull.

Everything causes slow motion. It's another over-animated third person shooter, where the grenades all do something slow-motion-y.

All of these grenades and big exploding pulse thingies look and sound like a Micahel Bay special effect. Kerrraaazy distortion and lense effects and that terrible doppler sound effect.

The one cool bit where everything slows down and you walk around in it, is then ruined by ridiculous enemies that look like a bit of silly concept art from some kind of hexagonal mood-board made flesh.

The main guy is another thirty-something brown haired man who is incredibly good at shooting guns. He has a nice coat.

That's it. There's nothing else.

The story is bound to be terrible as well.

• Upvote 1

"I only own a wii. This game looks fucking dull" :lol:

Glad you have clarified for us that the story will be shit and the game will be dull - I'll be off and cancel my preorder now :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry but you lost any credit you had when you declared the Wii is the only console you own. :lol:

Remedy have a fucking stellar track record so I've faith in them that the final game will be something special. Will most likely buy an Xbone for this. Limited edition console with funky sound effects please, Microsoft. :P

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First impressions from Gamescom: it's Alan Wake with Max Payne combat and just as good as that sounds. Don't know yet about the live-action cutscenes, they said they were going to begin filming those in the next few months. I liked what they showed and I hope that it will eventually show up on Steam like former exclusive Alan Wake.

• Upvote 1

I do rather like that bullet time effect, although I've not really been following this game at all - it looks spectacularly bonkers.

So its from the guys who made Alan Wake.

There is a bonkers combat mechanic merged into it ... and one they have form with (good form at that).

Spectacularly bonkers storywise?

Sounds like preorder material to me... That is coming from someone who unashamedly loved Alan Wake in part BECAUSE of the sub-Stephen King plot and weirdness.

More shlockey storytelling with bonkers combat mechanics please :)

So its from the guys who made Alan Wake.

There is a bonkers combat mechanic merged into it ... and one they have form with (good form at that).

Spectacularly bonkers storywise?

Sounds like preorder material to me... That is coming from someone who unashamedly loved Alan Wake in part BECAUSE of the sub-Stephen plot and weirdness.

More shlockey storytelling with bonkers combat mechanics please :)

I agree :D

Got a lot of time for Remedy and their output...I've got to assume (and hope) that it will come out on PC eventually...still can't quite justify yet another console in my life just yet.

I love everything Remedy have put out, hopefully Microsoft actually puts some effort into marketing this one and don't send it to die.

What happened to Alan Wake was criminal, such a promising start.

Looking as good as ever. I really want to see another area, or some different time mechanics now. They're doing a pretty good job of not giving too much away.

Is there a release date yet?