N-gage: Its Actually Quite Good

sega_kid

The GBA SP battery is 9 hours-ish with the light on.

More like 11.

18 with it off.

It varies depending on the game though, which is quite strange.

And the GBA isn't twice as powerful as the SNES other than the fact that it uses a 32 bit processor.

16MHz, compared to about 6 at most. So yeah, it is.

My point was; show me a device that does what it does just as effieciently and I'll agree with you. At the momenet, the size, battery life, and power are pretty much unsurpassed as a whole package.

16mhz compared to 6mhz. That's a meaningless comparison since they're totally different chips. I'm not sure on battery life since I've only got a bog standard GBA.

There is no way in hell I'm going to get into technical debate on why the GBA isn't a great deal more powerful than a SNES, let alone several time more powerful. And don't even get me started on why Nintendo made another crap revision of the exact same hardware with the SP.

On the other hand, I totally agree that it's the best portable gaming system on the market, but then again, it's more or less a one horse race.

16mhz compared to 6mhz.  That's a meaningless comparison since they're totally different chips.

Then you could go by maximum polygon counts, or something. :(

Either way, the GBA comes up trumps - easily at the very least twice as capable as a SNES.

And don't even get me started on why Nintendo made another crap revision of the exact same hardware with the SP.

A revision, yes. Not a crap revision. It is my idea of perfect.

On the other hand, I totally agree that it's the best portable gaming system on the market, but then again, it's more or less a one horse race.

But isn't that the point? Why is it a one-horse race? If the GBA is so old technologically, then why is there nothing that even approaches its capabilties and efficiency?

Larger screen, slightly wobblier controls, can be bought with frontlight...

Yes, it's a pretty good alternative, but the N-Gage can be bought by Woolies-visiting folks and then loaded up with crazy crap quite easily.

They're both fascinating.

I'll concede that performance point since I don't know enough of the specifics about it and I don't care enough about them to check out some thoretical numbers.

If your idea of a good revision is adding a light, then you could have revised a standard GBA with that Afterburner. I'm certainly not happy about the removal of the headphone socket, a feature which I use on my normal GBA most of the time, despite the cheapness of third party adapters. I'd call that a pointless cost cutting exercise on an already cheap to produce device. The size I'm not bothered about since the old GBA fits in my pocked perfectly, but then again, maybe I've just got big pockets :(

I guess it looks more grown-up as well, but if you're playing games, why do you are about looking grown-up?

If your idea of a good revision is adding a light, then you could have revised a standard GBA with that Afterburner.

I did.

I have a standard GBA with an Afterburner. The GBA-SP is infinitely better than that.

I'm certainly not happy about the removal of the headphone socket,

Nor was I, however the adapter does the job perfectly well. This is perhaps the only criticism I have of it. So... 99% perfect in my eyes then!

The size I'm not bothered about since the old GBA fits in my pocked perfectly, but then again, maybe I've just got big pockets :(

Yeah, I don't. I mean it was 'okay' to carry before, but now it is absolutely superb. And the flip-screen is a... well, screen-saver, for sure!

I guess it looks more grown-up as well, but if you're playing games, why do you are about looking grown-up?

I don't, I care about practicality. The SP is infinitely more practical for me, and therefore one of the best design revisions in history, as far as I'm concerned.

The PSP has a LOT to live up to.

The GBA SP is so much better than the old GBA, it's surreal. I traded my old GBA in on launch day and never looked back... the screen light, the rechargable battery, the lovely tininess and robustness of it (I keep it in my inside pocket when the GBA used to take up one of my monstrous outer pockets in its admittedly superb N-Case). It's so cute.

sega kid, i've been thinking about getting an n-gage for a while as an upgrade to my SPV anyway how big(MB) is a game(cracked)? as i'd like to know  what i can fit onto a 128MB card, i need around 30odd songs which is 60ish MB's so i'd have 64MB free what could i get on there?

thanks also how big is the nes emu?

well, im using a 64meg card, and ive got tony hawks, super monkey ball, tomb raider, virtua tennis, puzzle bobble, pandemonium, a couple of short video clips and a few mame/gbc roms all on it. tony hawks is by far the biggest in size at about 14megs, where as most others are between 6-9 each. im gonna get myself a nice 128 or 256 card so ill never need to change it! the emus in size are tiny and u just install them to the phone itself.

hmm, its quite interesting how a lot of people here are now vigorously trying to defend the gba and its flaws- running scared? :(

I don't even like the N-Gage by the way, I just think it gets a lot of unfair stick when the GBA isn't actually that much better

</fortherecord>

The GBA got loads of stick, a hell of a lot more than the N-Gage, who people seem to feel sorry for more than hate. Nintendo were going to get hung by their balls by fanboys when the GBA didn't have a backlight and then when that was fixed but they didn't include a headphone socket they were savagely attacked once more and called all sorts. For a headphone socket! If Nintendo had made the N-Gage they would have been lynched.

I know the GBA has some failings but not nearly as many as the N-Gage, yet the N-Gage has the odasity to be priced at such high levels.

It varies depending on the game though, which is quite strange.

That's cos some games overclock the CPU, thusly drawing extra power.

I just think it gets a lot of unfair stick when the GBA isn't actually that much better

Who gives a fuck about the hardware? If you buy games hardware, based on its specs, you're an idiot.

GAMES ARE ALL THAT IS IMPORTANT.

And quite frankly, the GBA is where it's at for games.

"ive got tony hawks, super monkey ball, tomb raider, virtua tennis, puzzle bobble, pandemonium"

2 of those are GBA ports, 1 is available on GBA but not exactly the same game, 1 a good-for-the-time 3d adventure, 1 is an utterly shit platform game that nobody even liked when it came out the first time and the other is an excellent game ruined by poor screen and button layout.

That does not a good console make and it doesn't matter whether it's got blue teeth, "apps" or a phone, the one fact remains:

The n-gage is a really shit games console

There are hardly any decent games out for it, there are 7 games in total planned for the whole of 2004, most of which appear to be rubbish.

But hey, you got THREEDEE!!!!!!! All we have is a 10 year old CPU and a huge sack of must-have games.

Hey any handheld that can offer the likes of Wario Ware, Advance Wars, Mario & Luigi and countless others gets a thumbs up from me.

In some ways Wario Ware re-invigorated gaming for me, so I'm just thankful for that really.

sega kid, i've been thinking about getting an n-gage for a while as an upgrade to my SPV anyway how big(MB) is a game(cracked)? as i'd like to know  what i can fit onto a 128MB card, i need around 30odd songs which is 60ish MB's so i'd have 64MB free what could i get on there?

thanks also how big is the nes emu?

well, im using a 64meg card, and ive got tony hawks, super monkey ball, tomb raider, virtua tennis, puzzle bobble, pandemonium, a couple of short video clips and a few mame/gbc roms all on it. tony hawks is by far the biggest in size at about 14megs, where as most others are between 6-9 each. im gonna get myself a nice 128 or 256 card so ill never need to change it! the emus in size are tiny and u just install them to the phone itself.

hmm, its quite interesting how a lot of people here are now vigorously trying to defend the gba and its flaws- running scared? :unsure:

thanks for that my SPV broke yesterday so i might try to get an n-gage as a replacement.

Really? I don't see anyone saying

The GBA is a really shit games console!

Most likely because it isn't a shit games console no matter how you look at it. Whereas the N-Gage is a horrible games console judging by titles available and planned.

Actually, has any console ever had a worse launch lineup?

Really? I don't see anyone saying

The GBA is a really shit games console!

Because it's not. But people were saying loads of other things when it was released, and magazines were making many jokes about it. To say that the GBA and its dearer but better brother GBA:SP got no stick is simply not true.

I didn't say it got no stick, but it's coming to the point where you'd literally get laughed at in the street for having a N-Gage. I don't personally laughing at anyone I saw with a GBA:SP, do you?

You'd just be wrong to say the GBA:SP got more stick than the N-Gage.

You'd just be wrong to say the GBA:SP got more stick than the N-Gage.

People ripped into it for:

Dark screen

SNES ports

Game price

Not enough buttons

which turned into

But I've only just bought one

No headphone socket

But the simple fact of the matter is that people didn't rip into it as much as the n-gage because the n-gage is immeasurably shitter than the GBA.

ok, purely for GAMES the gba has a lot more going for it, but with all the other capabilities of the n-gage i think 129.99 is a fair price. and these are early days still, emu wise the n-gage is looking good- nes, gameboy, gameboy color, mame etc already available- its probably only a matter of time before someone releases a gba emu on n-gage.