N-gage: Its Actually Quite Good

sega_kid

well, picked myself up a ngage at the weekend after reading bits and bobs about it on various web pages, and i have to say i am very impressed by it! and at 129.99 from woolies a bargain! sure, it has its downsides- battery life & the way your supposed to answer a call, but, i think it has a lot going for it. it comes with a usb cable which makes downloading games, movies, apps and music a doddle. it has various emulators on it already-mame, gameboy color, nes to name a few, and while they arent 100% yet, it is early days for such a new machine! and of course, the "cracked" games, which enables u to put several full games on a memory card-which puts to an end the argument over having to change the card for every game. not to mention the ability to fit whole movies onto cards to watch on it.

so overall, i say its a nice little machine and certainly not deserved of the bashing u lot give it on this forum! ;)

i didnt want to go for a contract tho, so 130 was fine by me. i dont think the design is TOO bad. has anyone here made a call on one? u dont ACTUALLY have to hold it to your head sideways, it works fine just holding it to your ear like u would a normal phone!

It is true, Sega_Kid showed me some of the stuff earlier and there is some really cool stuff that can be done with it. If it were just the machine and games you had to buy then no, but with all the stuff he has on his it is pretty neat. I want one!

Don't make me send Dhalsim round to yours too.

As long as you're enjoying it then carry on. I think the general concensus is that it's not worth the money. Please tell me you had all three main platforms before you bought it though...

And the GBA SP isn't overpriced at £90? I bet that Nintendo could sell them for £30 and still make a decent profit. On the other hand, they might as well overcharge for decade old technology if people are willing to pay...

And the GBA SP isn't overpriced at £90?  I bet that Nintendo could sell them for £30 and still make a decent profit.  On the other hand, they might as well overcharge for decade old technology if people are willing to pay...

It's better than a snes in terms of power (the SP that is), and it's taken this long for the screen and hardware to be that small. So don't be a silly and say that a SP is 10 years old.

And the GBA SP isn't overpriced at £90? I bet that Nintendo could sell them for £30 and still make a decent profit. On the other hand, they might as well overcharge for decade old technology if people are willing to pay...

Whether the GBA:SP is overpriced or not is besides the point, we're talking about the N-Gage, but since you bring it up then the GBA:SP does what it's intended for far better than the N-Gage could hope.

Not really, since the N-Gage is the GBA SP's biggest rival. For the extra money, the N-Gage is much more powerful and has many more applications. I'm not saying the N-Gage is anything approaching good, but the GBA sucks too on the basis that it's really old technology at a comparitively high price. BTW the ARM processor used in GBA was at least a decade old when the GBA first launched. Why not introduced soon? Because the GB and GBC were selling fine. Now there's a decandant company. At least the N-Gage tries a bit of conversion...

..but the GBA sucks too on the basis that it's really old technology at a comparitively high price.

It's also incredibly efficient as a result.

A console twice as powerful as a SNES, the size of a matchbox and with 18 hour battery life? Yes please.

If someone else can beat that technologically and efficiency-wise then by all means, please do! I won't be complaining!

Not really, since the N-Gage is the GBA SP's biggest rival. For the extra money, the N-Gage is much more powerful and has many more applications. I'm not saying the N-Gage is anything approaching good, but the GBA sucks too on the basis that it's really old technology at a comparitively high price. BTW the ARM processor used in GBA was at least a decade old when the GBA first launched. Why not introduced soon? Because the GB and GBC were selling fine. Now there's a decandant company. At least the N-Gage tries a bit of conversion...

No, you're quite wrong. The GBA does do its job far better than the N-Gage, I'd be interested to hear in which areas the N-Gage betters the GBA (As a portable console).

The fact the technology is old is a mute point. Valve technology is old yet some of the best audio equipment is valve based, the same for the batteries you use to power your gadgets and the keyboard you're typing with. The age of the technology is irrelevant unles it effects the intended performance in any way.

The simple fact is that the N-Gage is a good concept clumsily executed.

sega kid, i've been thinking about getting an n-gage for a while as an upgrade to my SPV anyway how big(MB) is a game(cracked)? as i'd like to know what i can fit onto a 128MB card, i need around 30odd songs which is 60ish MB's so i'd have 64MB free what could i get on there?

thanks also how big is the nes emu?

A console twice as powerful as a SNES, the size of a matchbox and with 18 hour battery life? Yes please.

If someone else can beat that technologically and efficiency-wise then by all means, please do! I won't be complaining!

The GBA SP battery is 9 hours-ish with the light on. As far as I'm aware, the N-Gage backlight is always on. And the GBA isn't twice as powerful as the SNES other than the fact that it uses a 32 bit processor.

N-Gage could have been better battery wise if it wasn't constantly connected or trying to connect to a network. Bluetooth as well sucks up a fair amount of power (compared to everything else). It's a shame they had to sully a good portable multimedia device with pointless phone features phone that makes you look like an ass-hat.

Of course, the PSP will blow the GBA out of the water technology wise, bet then that isn't exactly hard is it?