Studio Ghibli - All films on Netflix

I might be in the minority but I've always personally rated Isao Takahata's Ghibli films above Miyazaki's, even if I have more of Miyazaki's films that are my favourites.

This makes sense in my head.

They are both amazing directors. I do think Takahata is the more adventurous filmmaker (he always experiments both with the type of stories and the art direction of his films) but there is something truly magical about the films of Miyazaki, particularly in the worlds he creates for each of his films. It's sad to think both directors have now retired from feature film making.

I think they are indeed both equally great - Takahata's films also seem a bit more grounded in literal real world concerns more often, if that makes sense, and Miyazaki explores broad themes and concepts in his fantastical worlds. Both complement each other wonderfully.

• 10 months later...
14 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Does anyone know when (or if) When Marnie Was There will be available on Blu-Ray in our region?

Available on eBay now. Just ordered the blu ray yesterday as no cinema my way is showing it. Hopefully I'll get it by next weekend to watch it with my wife and child on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Lots of people selling them. Not sure what country they originate from but they are region B.

14 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Does anyone know when (or if) When Marnie Was There will be available on Blu-Ray in our region?

Dunno, but we went to see it in the cinema on Friday night. Brilliant film.

Well, I haven't watched the Blu Ray version, but from what I understand, the US theatrical release  had an opening sequence created by Disney.  In the UK, we got the original opening sequence.  But on Blu Ray, we've somehow ended up with the altered US version. It's what has prevented me from buying it, despite loving it when I saw it at the cinema.

Saw "When Marnie Was There" at a preview in Manchester about a month ago.  A brilliant, wonderful film.  Well up to scratch.

I did have a couple of problems with the plot though.  Aside from that, throughly recommended.

Camel, you're a dumb cunt.

6 hours ago, Camel said:

Wonder if it will have a stupid American intro like the Kaguya BR.

3 hours ago, Camel said:

Well, I haven't watched the Blu Ray version, but from what I understand

5 hours ago, spatular said:

Anyone seen the dub of when Marnie was there, is it alright?

I watched it with the dub and found it totally fine. Personally I don't mind what version I watched but the time of the dubbed one suited me better. I think nowadays the dubbing is of a much higher quality than the bad old days.

• 3 months later...

Michiyo Yasuda the artist who worked on colour design for 13 of the films has passed away.

Like the article says, you've probably not heard of her (I hadn't) but she had a massive hand in making some of Studios greats come to life

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37629894/you-may-not-have-heard-of-michiyo-yasuda-but-you-know-her-work?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

• 1 month later...