rllmuk
JohnC

Studio Ghibli - All films on Netflix

There were rumours after Miyazaki retired that Ghibli would close after their latest movie which recently opened in Japan. News appears to be just coming that Suzuki, one of the founders, just announced the closure on Japanese TV. There's no English language sources to link to yet, so still room for a miscommunication along the line. Suzuki will be staying on alone to manage trademarks, apparently.

Yeah, that's a co-production with Polygon who do CG and it's a CG show so Ghibli probably don't have a whole lot to do with making the animation on that.

general manager Toshio Suzuki has now confirmed that the famed Japanese animation company will be closing its doors as a production company and will instead focus on managing the trademarks of its back-catalogue.

Fucking hell, is this real life?

wtf? why? Surely their films still do well. I must admit, I haven't really watched any studio ghibli films for a good 5 years (think i watched most them up until howls moving castle) but it would be a shame for them to close.

I did hear the quality of the storytelling did kind of lose it's way though.. so perhaps people just are not so fussed anymore about them.

From this article - http://oh-totoro.com/post/93700803450/studio-ghibli-announces-closure-toshio-suzuki

STUDIO GHIBLI ANNOUNCES CLOSURE

Toshio Suzuki has announced the closure of Studio Ghibli. Here’s a translated version of the news article:

"Just moments ago, Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli producer, announced on the TV show of the MBS Jounetsu Tairiku chain effectively as announced as sources close to the studio, Studio Ghibli will close and production studio anime, leaving himself only as a company that will manage its trademarks. As stated in the program’s producer, "the production department of anime will be dismantled," which coincides with the data that we gave in our previous post on this decision had been taken from spring after the poor reception at the box office of Kaguya-hime no Monogatari.

In the interview, Suzuki has also admitted that it was a major setback for the study progress Hayao Miyazaki, one of the reasons already unveiled the portal Rakuten Woman. Once we have access to the full TV interview, adding more data. No doubt that this is a very sad news for Japanese animation, of which we are all fans, because it is undeniable everything Studio Ghibli has given the anime. Please remember that what will be his last film, Omoide no Marnie, premiered at the Japanese box office on 19 July.”

Well Miyazaki is 73 after all so I'm amazed that he's working at all still but to have the entire studio close is such sad news.

I'm sure lots of people there will land on their feet and get to work on some amazing stuff but man will I miss that Ghibli name. :(

The core is the work of a few key players, so you can see why they'd want to end it when they retire and be in control of their legacy than hand it over and run the risk of the name being tarnished.

• Upvote 1

I like that Hiromasa Yonebayashi fella's stuff. Hopefully he'll be able to carry on his vision away from the studio. Miyazaki was retiring anyway and I'm not keen on the recent offerings from anyone else, particularly his son.

A real shame. I thought Yonebayashi was shaping up nicely, on the basis of Arrietty. Thought he could be the artistic heir to Miyazaki that his son clearly wasn't.

wtf? why? Surely their films still do well. I must admit, I haven't really watched any studio ghibli films for a good 5 years (think i watched most them up until howls moving castle) but it would be a shame for them to close.

I did hear the quality of the storytelling did kind of lose it's way though.. so perhaps people just are not so fussed anymore about them.

As far as I'm aware, over recent years they've come close to struggling with the huge costs of their animation versus the money the movies actually make. I'm also sure I read a comparison between the money made by Miyazaki films compared to other Ghibli films which made it look like his films were the ones which really made money and ensured the continued profitability of the studio.

Really, Miyazaki is Ghibli. His contributions to the studio and it's work is incredible, far beyond the usual role someone in his position might have. You can't watch the entire catalogue and then look at which ones he worked on and argue that anyone else has had any kind of a profound influence on the success of the studio.

He's used his fame and marketability to help other creatives make interesting, exploratory pieces at his studio, but without him there won't be a core of utterly pitch perfect movies to drive the less marketable stuff around it. He's been able to create and experiment widely because of his extraordinary success and he's let others join him in that, but it makes sense to let it go and have the people there move on. There's some incredible talent there, but he's one of the most talented film makers in the world, even in his later work which people are less fond of he consistently creates vivid images, characters and stories effortlessly.

I love some of the Ghibli movies which aren't his, but aside from whisper of the heart (which he still wrote, just didn't direct) there are none by anyone but him which would ever get anywhere near my top five Ghibli movies, and it would take me hours to decide what my five favourite movies of his are.

• Upvote 4

If you read the interview in Japanese Suzuki doesn't say they're closing down, he says they're taking a break. Even if they do close the animation studio down I'd be surprised if there weren't more titles released under the Ghibli banner.

The name Ghibli isn't going anywhere.

Like womblingfree says, there's no need to panic (just yet).

From ANN:

Ghibli Co-Founder Suzuki: Studio Considers Dismantling Production Department

Studio Ghibli representative director and co-founder Toshio Suzuki appeared on the TBS television program Jōnetsu Tairiku on Sunday to discuss the studio's future after Hayao Miyazaki's retirement from directing feature films.

Suzuki discussed the great changes that the entire studio is undergoing at the studio's shareholders meeting, and mused that these changes may include dismantling the production department. While there has been talk among some about dissolving the studio outright, Suzuki emphasized that the truth is that the studio is considering "housecleaning" or restructuring for now. The end result would be "rebuilding" the studio and creating an environment for the next generation.

Suzuki did not downplay the significance of Miyazaki's retirement. Still, he added, "On what to do with Studio Ghibli's future, it is by no means impossible to keep producing [movies] forever. However, we will take a brief pause to consider where to go from here."

Ghibli really should have spent the last few decades 'creating an environment for the next generation' of animation talent but it seems that Miyazaki is such a horribly bitter old man that there was never any chance of that happening while he was still in charge.

I love some of the Ghibli movies which aren't his, but aside from whisper of the heart (which he still wrote, just didn't direct) there are none by anyone but him which would ever get anywhere near my top five Ghibli movies, and it would take me hours to decide what my five favourite movies of his are.

Grave of the Fireflies, surely? My Neighbours The Yamadas is up there for me, too.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I think Kondo's films were really good. The best of them are as good as Miyazaki's best.

And didn't Takahata direct Grave while Miyazaki made Totoro?

Careful now, we're teetering dangerously close to making this a 'list your Ghibli films by preference' thread.

(my list is totally ready for that eventuality)

Careful now, we're teetering dangerously close to making this a 'list your Ghibli films by preference' thread.

(my list is totally ready for that eventuality)

heh, mine is Totoro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Laputa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else

• Upvote 1

Ah, for me it's [top 5 films ever made] Nausicaä ---> [utterly amazing] Totoro/Kiki ---> [brilliant] Castle in the Sky/Only Yesterday/Spirited Away ---> [excellent] Whisper of the Heart/Princess Mononoke ---> [very good]Grave of the Fireflies/Ocean Waves --------------> [okay] The Wind Rises/Arriety/Ponyo -------------> [poor]Porco Rosso/The Cat Returns.

The other films I've not seen.

Laputa -> Grave of the Fireflies -> Spirited Away -> Nausicaa -> Kiki's Delivery Service -> Princess Mononoke -> Only Yesterday -> Totoro -> Arrietty -> The Cat Returns -> Howl's Moving Castle -> My Neighbours the Yamadas -> From up on Poppy Hill -> The Wind Rises -> Whisper of the Heart -> Pom Poko -> Ponyo -> Porco Rosso ->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->-> Tales From Earthsea

Probably.

Porco Rosso isn't the best, but it's up there. Wiper must be out of his mind.

The best is The Castle of Cagliostro, as any schoolboy knows. Then I'd have to say Whisper of the Heart, and although it didn't seem to get much favour on here, I think The Wind Rises is up there with the best Ghibli, too.

I've never seen Cagliostro, though I really want to :(

And I'm glad to see that Camel puts Porco Rosso at the bottom of his list too (with the exception of Earthsea, which I've not seen); even if he wouldn't call it 'poor', at least I'm not the only one who ranks it as one of Ghibli's lesser efforts! It may sound daft, but I just found it too focussed on violence and competition to enjoy.

I actually quite liked The Wind Rises, but I was literally the only person in my group (of six) who went to see the film who enjoyed it, and their complete lack of enthusiasm colours my looking back on it. I should probably have rated it alongside Ocean Waves and Grave, really.

All depends on mood - I find it difficult to choose between Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Totoro and Mononoke. They're all brilliant.