EA Play was EA Access (PC, PS, Xbox) - Coming to GamePass

Cyhwuhx

I apologise for any unpleasantness. I just thought you were taking the typical internet approach of painting EA as the worst company in the world (or whatever it is they keep winning) and so took it to an over the top conclusion of their evilness.

Yes it is their own network and it is up for them to decide but like I said, after my experience using this I doubt it could be integrated into the PSN as it stands. Obviously I have no insider knowledge to know whether this is accurate or not, this is just a guess based on using the PSN occasionally.

They should be more honest with their answers though, we're not stupid. Although to be fair I could do with Sony controlling all my financial decisions; I do waste an awful lot of money on crap I don't need, like EA Access for example.

It's Sonys own network, so actually, it is up to them to decide. I think they should offer the choice for people though and trust that they can make that choice themselves.

Also, less of the unpleasantness please Travolta.

For the gamers, as long as you play what we want you to.

So, just to make sure I've got this right before I potentially waste 20 quid:

I pay 20 quid for a year's sub.

I get full ownership of the 'vault' games for the duration of that year (plus discounts on digital purchases)

Those downloads are full retail versions with no restrictions (whilst sub is active)

End of the year, I either renew or lose access to the games I've bought (like my PS+ sub)

I can ebay my disc copy of BF4, and effectively get back the cost of my first year's sub right there. And even if they don't add *anything* more to the vault in the next year, I've got Madden for free. There's got to be a catch. There's always a catch with EA. I just don't see it though - this seems like something completely and unexpectedly consumer friendly...

You also get the early access to final versions of all games released during the year.. Hard to see a catch at the moment if you want one or more of the vault games, and / or if you tend to buy the annual sports games and play them all year (and therefore don't get much, if any, trade in value). But EA being the most evil corporation ever must surely have a dastardly plan up their sleeves.......

You also get the early access to final versions of all games released during the year.. Hard to see a catch at the moment if you want one or more of the vault games, and / or if you tend to buy the annual sports games and play them all year (and therefore don't get much, if any, trade in value). But EA being the most evil corporation ever must surely have a dastardly plan up their sleeves.......

Well, I've gone for it. Does seem too good to turn down. Downloading Madden right now. Anyone want a copy of BF4 for £20 delivered? ;)

It will be interesting to see if it is actually all games though. Like I said, Titanfall is not on the service anywhere and I can't see them putting up Mirrors Edge 2, a game which will probably be easily completed in those 5 days, on the service.

I've read somewhere today that early access will be restricted to the opening levels or single game type, for that very reason. Final code though, so not a beta or a demo in the old fashioned sense.

I've read somewhere today that early access will be restricted to the opening levels or single game type, for that very reason. Final code though, so not a beta or a demo in the old fashioned sense.

It'll be done using the new SDK stuff in the last update that allowed them to reintroduce the old XBLA style "try/unlock" model. I don't know if PSN has that ability I haven't seen it certainly on PS4 to date. Might have been added in one of the stability updates I don't know :)

Final code though, so not a beta or a demo in the old fashioned sense.

It won't be final code. EA aren't capable of final code on the retail releases, so they sure as hell won't 5 days early.

In fact, this five days early business is just a sly way of getting feedback that they can fix issues on actual release day.

Yes it is their own network and it is up for them to decide but like I said, after my experience using this I doubt it could be integrated into the PSN as it stands. Obviously I have no insider knowledge to know whether this is accurate or not, this is just a guess based on using the PSN occasionally.

They should be more honest with their answers though, we're not stupid. Although to be fair I could do with Sony controlling all my financial decisions; I do waste an awful lot of money on crap I don't need, like EA Access for example.

Sony's response reads a little bit defensive and worried to me - if they allow one company to do this, will others follow and thus diminish the value of PS+?

If the service model is the route publishers want to go down, I can see a lot of potential for friction all round. Another revenue stream is actually great for videogames (films have been doing this for years), Personally I just hope that they all see the benefits of lots of different models of purchasing (physical, digital, rental) and price accordingly.

Yeah I'm sure they will continue to offer the games across a variety of formats, although I can easily see this being the last physical media generation. As the games are still available to buy on the digital stores, I'm sure they could still show up on PS+ or the xbox one; by which I mean Microsoft's "free" game offer service, not the console.

I also think Sony have a hell of a cheek talking about value for money considering the amount they want for games on PlayStation Now.

I can ebay my disc copy of BF4, and effectively get back the cost of my first year's sub right there.

Why would anyone pay you the price of an annual EA Access sub for a copy of BF4? They could just sub to EAA themselves.

...which is a roundabout way of saying that the eBay going rate for a copy of BF4 is likely to nosedive pretty soon. If you want to do this you might want to move fast before people catch on.

It won't be final code. EA aren't capable of final code on the retail releases, so they sure as hell won't 5 days early.

In fact, this five days early business is just a sly way of getting feedback that they can fix issues on actual release day.

Uhuh. Tell us about the faked moon landings. :D

I've recently bought Fifa 14 on ps4 despite not liking actual football and not having played a Fifa game since the original on megadrive. I've also fancied a go on NHL and NFL despite not understanding the sports, but not enough to justify £40-60 price tags these games demand (even paying £30-40 through us psn is asking too much for a sport I don't know and a game I don't know if I'll like). This kind of service would suit someone like me down to the ground.

Why would anyone pay you the price of an annual EA Access sub for a copy of BF4? They could just sub to EAA themselves.

...which is a roundabout way of saying that the eBay going rate for a copy of BF4 is likely to nosedive pretty soon. If you want to do this you might want to move fast before people catch on.

I'm banking on a handful of factors:

1. At the minute, the EA scheme is only open to dash preview customers, so it'll be a little while before it's available to all.

2. There are a reasonable number of people out there who still value physical media over digital (let alone digital 'rentals'). See some responses in this very thread, for example.

3. If all else fails, Game are currently offering £15 trade on it.

4. If I don't manage to sell it for a sensible price, I can still see myself getting 20 quid's worth of value out of the sub anyway. Quite enjoying Madden in a I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing kind of way, already.

I take your point entirely, though. Generally speaking, the tradable value of any of the 'vault' games is going to go through the floor. Which, you might suspect, is part of the point of the exercise, from EA's perspective.

For those with such a casual interest in EA's games I think it's a good deal but most fifa and madden players are day one obsessives. I guess it's not aimed at them.

I used to think this too but Fifa 14 is number 2 in the charts and it's nearly August.

It seems to have an incredibly long tail.

I used to think this too but Fifa 14 is number 2 in the charts and it's nearly August.

It seems to have an incredibly long tail.

Might be due to the world cup? Not that I'm saying it doesn't enjoy good constant sales it's a very "everyman" game.

No, FIFA constantly sells well throughout the year. With each release when I used to work at Games Centre, would constantly still out right up until about 4 weeks before the next release.

Might be due to the world cup? Not that I'm saying it doesn't enjoy good constant sales it's a very "everyman" game.

I'd have thought it was a touch too late for the world cup effect now but I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

The world cup game is on the edge of the top 20 by the way.

Pricing:

----======----

XBL Gold 1-year: $59.99

EA Access 1-year: $29.99

Total Cost: $89.98 before taxes (lets just round to 90 bucks)

----======----

Benefits:

----======----

Xbox Live Gold:

48 Free Games per year (24 for X360, 24 for XB1), with possibilities of additional freebies periodically. (note: 48 may not be entirely accurate, as the 2 game per month trend on XB1 isn't set in stone as far as I can tell. Let's run with this assumption anyway.)

Access to Online Multiplayer

Exclusive Discounts with Deals with Gold (percentages vary)

Parties and Party Chat

Smart Match

Home Gold

Game DVR Cloud Storage

Upload Studio

Xbox Fitness

Perceived Value: Varies based on retail price of free games and services at time of availability. Let's assume that every game given out free averages to around $10.00 if purchased individually via the XBL Digital Market (seems about right looking at recent freebies). $10.00 x 48 = $480.00

----======----

EA Access:

Access to "Vault" Games For free as long as subscription is current. (prices listed reflect current XBL digital marketplace prices)

Battlefield 4: $59.99

Madden 25: $59.99

Fifa 14: $59.99

Peggle 2: $11.99

Additional benefits:

10% Discount to new games and DLC via digital download

Early Access to EA Releases by 1 Week

Try-it Before you Buy-It Service for EA Releases

Additional perks as ecosystem evolves

Perceived Value: Based purely on Vault games due to listed price being constant, and assuming all four games are utilized by the subscriber: ($60 x 3) + $12 = $192.00

----======----

Totals, provided the subscriber utilizes all features/freebies:

----======----

Overall Price: $90

Overall Value $192.00 + $480.00 = $672.00

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2c8kbk/number_crunching_xbl_gold_ea_access/

For comparison

http://m.gamerevolution.com/news/year-one-of-playstation-plus-value-in-free-games-185486-20143

Year one of PS+ = $1854.86

Conclusion MS & EA are the evil.

hmmm, counting the GOG games at $10 retail value and counting all the PS+ games price at launch? Seems fair.... :)