EA Play was EA Access (PC, PS, Xbox) - Coming to GamePass

Cyhwuhx

Somebody on Gaf has raised a very interesting question: "How long until EA Access is required to play any EA published game online, even with PS+/XBLG already in the bag?"

I have to be honest, that never dawned on me. It's not unthinkable.

Activision have been looking at ways of making cod sub based for years, its all inevitable. They can afford to bypass retail too, and i'd pay for it.

Didn't they actually try a subscription service for MW3 that went from premium to free by the time Blops2 was out before getting dropped completely?

EDIT: ah, Call of Duty: Elite

I think a better example is probably HBO Go, where you're paying for access to a particular studio's output, but yeah, it totally applies.

Theres loads of HBO's back catalog on Amazon Prime Instant Video though. Which is the difference for me: you're never going to see EA games on Ubisoft's hypothetical service, but Amazon, Netflix, et al all have lots of overlap between their catalogs. So as a shopper I don't miss much on Amazon video if I have Netflix, but I'd probably miss Ubisoft's equivalent if I only had EA Access.

Really? Why did they get rid of them then?

Most likely because EA (and other publishers) now want to load up games with a load of IAP style mechanics, despite charging £60 for their products, and online passes were a barrier to customers spunking money on not-so-micro-microtransactions.

The CoD service was fairly popular, but at the same time, people were basically buying it for the included map-packs. Microsoft sure are BFFs with EA at present, wonder how much of a cut EA have to give Microsoft to use their network, and how much of a cut GameStop and GAME are getting to push the subs onto their customer bases.

I suppose it'll help push EA's higher margin digital $60 game sales and remove more potential 2nd hand copies from circulation, same idea as PS+ subscriber discount or Nintendo's got to collect 'em all to save 10% deal on the Wii U.

This is an early foray into games as a service for EA. EA don't want to sell you Battlefield 4, they want to sell you Battlefield Premium. Just like they don't care about selling you FIFA, they want to sell you those card packs. Pretty canny of them to charge a monthly subscription to access what they clearly want to evolve into F2P games.

This is an early foray into games as a service for EA. EA don't want to sell you Battlefield 4, they want to sell you Battlefield Premium. Just like they don't care about selling you FIFA, they want to sell you those card packs. Pretty canny of them to charge a monthly subscription to access what they clearly want to evolve into F2P games.

I'm surprised EA haven't already done something like that for Ultimate Team already for FIFA, NHL and Madden.

Sell your core game (Single player, Online Teams, Ranked 1v1) as a retail release, but then do UT as a F2P game with the IAP's as standard. They'd get those who simply play UT most of the time spending more because they haven't had to shell out £50 for base game.

I'm surprised EA haven't already done something like that for Ultimate Team already for FIFA, NHL and Madden.

Sell your core game (Single player, Online Teams, Ranked 1v1) as a retail release, but then do UT as a F2P game with the IAP's as standard. They'd get those who simply play UT most of the time spending more because they haven't had to shell out £50 for base game.

That's precisely what they did on iOS, made the base game free.

Sony don't want EA Access on the Playstation because they see it as competition for PS+. That's it. They're worried that all the publishers will start up their own, similar services and then what's the point of a PS+ subscription? There probably aren't enough Sony published games to make it worth it for a lot of people.

I bought a pass to it on the US store. Downloading Madden 25 now, which was the only game I didn't own. Clicking on any Vault game takes you to the normal marketplace and lets you download it for free. Any game that is not in The Vault takes you to the normal marketplace and shows the discount you're getting. Pretty good.

I do find it odd that NBA Live 14 isn't included with the free stuff. I can't imagine anyone wants to buy that stinker. Also Titanfall is not listed anywhere in the app so you can't get discount on the season pass or map pack.

As for Sony not wanting a competing subscription service, that can't be right. This is just a small trial that will eventually be on all platforms except the Wii U. So... Wii U wins?

Yeah, this is step one on EA's three step plan:

1) Introduce cheap download subscription for older games to help curb 2nd hand sales.

2) Introduce premium (or tiered) subscription across all games

3) Remove physical copies of games

EA will then be fully in control, removing old games at will, no 2nd hand market, and no consumer ownership.

I think there's a question as to whether it'd have been possible to integrate at a system level the way they have if they tried it on the shoestring powered PSN.

I know he's been negged for this, possibly because of the overly harsh language, possibly because he was negative about Sony, it's hard to tell on here; but he might actually have a point.

Just by having the subscription to EA Access attached to my account, the games are available to download from any locations including the xbox.com website so you don't need to access them from within the app. I imagine as it stands anything like this from a third party would have to go through a specific portal on the PS4.

As for that Sony quote. It does seem slightly off. There's no way Sony wouldn't have the service as well if it could be integrated into the system as well as it has been on Xbox. Has Phil Harrison gone back to Sony? That quote reeks of "rumble is a last gen feature".

Yeah, this is step one on EA's three step plan:

1) Introduce cheap download subscription for older games to help curb 2nd hand sales.

2) Introduce premium (or tiered) subscription across all games

3) Remove physical copies of games

EA will then be fully in control, removing old games at will, no 2nd hand market, and no consumer ownership.

You forgot the step where they dig up your nan and skull fuck the corpse.

Absolutely... And that's why you have the choice to buy an Xbox one

That choice has been made by Sony's fans. The ones that went to PS4 should have the choice to subscribe to EA Access not have Sony make that decision for them.

That choice has been made by Sony's fans. The ones that went to PS4 should have the choice to subscribe to EA Access not have Sony make that decision for them.

They still have a choice , sell ps4 and switch to Xbox one...

Might seem drastic but I have certainly voted with my feet during a generation, and certainly early on when I am less invested.

I have wavered towards Xbox one a bit over past few months due to certain exclusives... And if I cared about EA sports games then yep I may well ditch ps4 and switch ...

Precisely. Sony shouldn't be limiting your access to content just because they don't think it is a good deal for the consumer, that is up to us to decide.

They're also the company that charged us 2.5 years of EA Access for Knack.

Value for money. What a shit excuse.

It's Sonys own network, so actually, it is up to them to decide. I think they should offer the choice for people though and trust that they can make that choice themselves.

Also, less of the unpleasantness please Travolta.