EA Play was EA Access (PC, PS, Xbox) - Coming to GamePass

Cyhwuhx

FIFA is £50 game brand new. You can't expect them to chuck it in with a bunch of other games on launch for as little as £4 (guess!) a month. That would make absolutely no sense.

This. EA is exploring the Netflix model here, as is Sony with PS+; Netflix doesn't get films on release day. A film goes to the cinema, then to DVD/BluRay, then to premium TV services like Sky, then finally to Netflix.

It's classic price discrimination. You have a group of people willing to pay top dollar, a group who will pay a bit less, and so on. The way to get the maximum money out of them is to make the product available in stages at lower and lower price points. Netflix's success rests on a way of adding a new tier right at the end of the movie's life that let's the studio get a few more quid out of it. So it is with this service. There'll be the odd still-quite-new title on it to increase your attention -- effectively a loss leader -- but by and large, as with PS+, it'll be games that are pretty old.

Now that doesn't mean it can't be good value. As with PS+, at this price point, if there are just one or two games a year you really get your teeth into, you'll probably be pretty happy. But people thinking this is going to have release-day games are going to be disappointed I think. EA will give you plenty of chances to pay full whack for any game you even half-want before it washes up on these shores.

"@ItsJustRave Yep! Vault games are all yours as long as you have your membership. You get free trials of full games b4 launch + 10% discount"

So not "all yours" at all then.

I'm under the impression that publishers make very little from older titles, so this is a way of making some extra money at little expense.

And it's pretty obviously a games library which you have access to while you subscribe. It won't be like PS+ where there's a limited time-frame to 'buy' the games. EA owns the titles so there's no reason why they'd ever need to remove them from the library.

That said, would have made more sense to have an annual sports subscription, which is what I initially thought this was. It's not hard to imagine subscribing for £50/yr and getting access to all the current EA Sports titles.

"@ItsJustRave Yep! Vault games are all yours as long as you have your membership. You get free trials of full games b4 launch + 10% discount"

So not "all yours" at all then.

Sky TV is all yours, until you cancel. Your sky plus even stops working. Its almost as if they're somehow subscription based.

No, but working pretty much as Playstation Plus does, and not 'they'll disappear, obviously'.

But they will disappear, obviously. If you stop renting them, you stop having access to them. Ergo, they disappear. And it's obvious as otherwise you'd own them forever for one month's subscription, which clearly EA aren't going to do.

The fact this is the same as PS+ makes it *more* obvious as that's how it works there.

Sky TV is all yours, until you cancel. Your sky plus even stops working. Its almost as if they're somehow subscription based.

It isn't "yours" at all. You are, at most, borrowing it. If you can't keep it it isn't yours.

But you can't play them for more than a few hours. You're paying for demos.

What will the pre-release trials include? Will my progress carry over?

Each game is different, so each game’s trial will be, too. In some titles you’ll be able to play one of the game's modes for a limited time, while other times you can jump right into the full game. And since you’ll always be playing the real game, any progress you make will carry over so you can pick up where you left off on launch day.

But they will disappear, obviously. If you stop renting them, you stop having access to them. Ergo, they disappear. And it's obvious as otherwise you'd own them forever for one month's subscription, which clearly EA aren't going to do.

The fact this is the same as PS+ makes it *more* obvious as that's how it works there.

Please, deKay, read what you're replying to..

Have they said if it works like PS+, i.e - download a game while it's on the service, yours as long as you have a sub.

Or will games disappear off.

As the question specifies 'as long as you have a sub, the correct answer to this is 'yes, it works just like Playstation Plus'. Not..

They'll disappear, obviously. Otherwise you get every game on the system for £4 to keep forever.

They'll disappear, obviously. Otherwise you get every game on the system for £4 to keep forever.

You misunderstand.

Of course they'll disappear when your sub runs out.

But PS+ merely requires downloading while it's in the list of games.

Have EA said that when they rotate a game out, you'll still be able to play it.

As the question specifies 'as long as you have a sub, the correct answer to this is 'yes, it works just like Playstation Plus'. Not..

Exactly. Thanks.

You misunderstand.

Of course they'll disappear when your sub runs out.

But PS+ merely requires downloading while it's in the list of games.

Exactly. Thanks.

"...Vault Titles are subject to change and may be removed, and the online services for certain Vault Titles may be discontinued. In the event that EA changes the EA Access Services, including the removal of Vault Titles or discontinuation of online services for certain Vault Titles, we will provide thirty (30) days advance notice to you by posting a notice on http://www.ea.com/eaaccess."

"Vault Titles contain functionality designed to disable access to those Vault Titles in the event that (i) your subscription is canceled or otherwise terminated or (ii) EA decides, in its sole discretion to remove certain Vault Titles as described above."

Exactly. Thanks.

Of course, my answer has the standard 'EA Clause' that as it's not live yet, and it's EA, they might change their mind completely! But all the noises so far are basically 'just like Playstation Plus'.

(edit) Basically, as stated above really. They've tweeted that they don't plan on removing titles from the vault - that when they're in there, they're in. But if they ever do decide they will remove them (like if it's an online title, and a few years down the line they turn the servers off), then they will be taken out of the Vault and hence no longer be accessible. I believe Playstation Plus has the same rules hidden away in its terms and conditions, that if they decide to knock a game out they can - they've just never used it, and for them 'no plans' really meant 'no plans'. It's EA, though. So their mileage may vary!

It seems clear that EA aren't planning to 'rotate games out', that it's intended to be a library that will just get bigger over time. They paid for their development, there's no reason for them to ever disappear.

Edit: Although they might lose the licenses to FIFA/Madden etc which would force their hand. Still, the intention seems clear to me. It's like Netflix or Spotify, except titles are unlikely to ever be removed as they don't have to negotiate rights with other companies.

This. EA is exploring the Netflix model here, as is Sony with PS+; Netflix doesn't get films on release day. A film goes to the cinema, then to DVD/BluRay, then to premium TV services like Sky, then finally to Netflix.

It's classic price discrimination. You have a group of people willing to pay top dollar, a group who will pay a bit less, and so on. The way to get the maximum money out of them is to make the product available in stages at lower and lower price points. Netflix's success rests on a way of adding a new tier right at the end of the movie's life that let's the studio get a few more quid out of it. So it is with this service. There'll be the odd still-quite-new title on it to increase your attention -- effectively a loss leader -- but by and large, as with PS+, it'll be games that are pretty old.

Now that doesn't mean it can't be good value. As with PS+, at this price point, if there are just one or two games a year you really get your teeth into, you'll probably be pretty happy. But people thinking this is going to have release-day games are going to be disappointed I think. EA will give you plenty of chances to pay full whack for any game you even half-want before it washes up on these shores.

Exactly this. What's even more exciting with EA access though is that the games available at the moment are less than a year old!

Play last years sports games for £20 a year is fantastic! I'll still buy FIFA day one but now I can play slightly older versions of the sports games that I wouldn't ever play for dirt cheap.

The negativity over this is blowing my mind and confirms that some people love to moan no matter what.

Shit the bed! Next up you'll be telling me Netflix will stop me watching Archer when my sub runs out!

quick, hook up a vhs and make some good old safe old school tape recordings of them. Make sure you write "SPACEHOSTS STUFF DONT TAPE OVER" on the labels. Instant library to keep forever.

So Sony's PR reaction to this makes me think we won't be seeing EA Access on PS4

“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,” a Sony representative told us via email. “PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”

Very catty. It makes this sentence from the press release from Xbox very interesting.

Today we're writing to let you know about EA Access announced today by EA. EA Access is a subscription product created by the teams at Microsoft and EA, and it's exclusive to Xbox One!

So Sony's PR reaction to this makes me think we won't be seeing EA Access on PS4

Very catty. It makes this sentence from the press release from Xbox very interesting.

Sony are wrong. EA access should be offered as an option. It's a no brainer.

For fuck sake Sony... Why don't you let the consumer decide what they want? If they don't take up the service, it dies a death and you were right. However, if they do, then great. It makes me much more likely to also buy an XBOX ONE, even if it was an EA Vault machine for the most part.

So the £300+ I spend on that, is potentially £300 less in your pockets.

Its EA, theyll have some lousy T and Cs behind the scenes that Sony can reject as the market leader, and MS will have to swallow because theyre chasing.

Sign in to local profile..sign in to xblive/psn. Updating system software. Update complete please reboot. Signing into psn/xblive. Signing in to EA. Verifying details. Updating. EA would like access to your facebook wall to post notifications, proceed? EA are requesting your real name access. Loading Battlefield. Downloading update. Restarting software. Signing into psn/xblive, signing in to EA. Loading. Multiplayer. Searching for available games...10 found. Waiting for players. Game commencing in 10..9..8..7... Lost connection to EA. Re-establishing. Searching for available games. That console immediacy.

Leecar.jpg

Play again? You have selected...no.

Can you imagine the outcry when titles are covered by both PS+ and EA Access and one of the subs expires? Or the confusion when people get EA Access and then discover they can't download Killzone: Shadow Fall? Or the anger when people get only an EA Access account and then discover they can't play online?

Preposterous to us all here, but having worked in a game shop I can pretty much guarantee this kind of stuff would happen.

Can you imagine the outcry when titles are covered by both PS+ and EA Access and one of the subs expires? Or the confusion when people get EA Access and then discover they can't download Killzone: Shadow Fall? Or the anger when people get only an EA Access account and then discover they can't play online?

Preposterous to us all here, but having worked in a game shop I can pretty much guarantee this kind of stuff would happen.

Yeah, rather than just handle that, it's better not to offer the service. Please.

Yeah, rather than just handle that, it's better not to offer the service. Please.

Is PlayStation somehow an open platform or a public institution? Please.

It's the same as free speech versus the rules of the forum here at Rllmuk. Don't like the rules, go somewhere else. I'm not saying what Sony is doing is the right solution, I'm saying I can imagine Sony's worries behind it and understand the fact that they own the platform.

Whether the platform has become too large to not be seen as an open platform or public institution is still too early a question to answer. See also Apple's App Store et al.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Did Cyhwuhx become the Sony Boozy when I wasn't watching?

Sony decides what's offered on their platform/service? I think it has everything to do with it.