EA Play was EA Access (PC, PS, Xbox) - Coming to GamePass

Cyhwuhx

Apparently this news has led to a 6% share price drop for GameStop in the US. In response they have shat the bed and vowed to increase support for Playstation products.

This model could be huge.

As a way of killing a portion of pre-owned (those who want to play yearly franchises almost a year late), yes. Not as a method of buying new games from other retailers; as part of the subscription, EA offer 10% off new titles, but with their digital pricing that means it's still very expensive. It would be interesting to see them offering money off of new EA games for 'trading' old ones bought through the program. Given their slap-dash yearly model, that might tempt a lot of people.

It's going be fascinating to see how popular this is and when games get added to EA's vault. Obviously the omissions of Titanfall, PvZ etc suggests that this service is for the casual gamer and not the hardcore who need everything day 1.

I'm not sure about a future where I have loads of monthly subs to PSN, XBL, EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc is a realistic proposition but at least the option is there. Abandoning buying games is intriguing and just getting a month here and there of various services is now feasible.

I do hope this isn't a long term exclusivity deal with Microsoft though. I don't think they could throw enough money hats at EA to make that viable.

It's going be fascinating to see how popular this is and when games get added to EA's vault. Obviously the omissions of Titanfall, PvZ etc suggests that this service is for the casual gamer and not the hardcore who need everything day 1.

But the service allows access to new games five days before day 1, so surely it IS for the hardcore?

Which goes to show how confused their system is already.

But the service allows access to new games five days before day 1, so surely it IS for the hardcore?

Which goes to show how confused their system is already.

Yeah, true. I'd imagine the hardcore sports game / shooter player would be ok with an early digital download as they are likely to play the game until the next yearly iteration.

Yeah, true. I'd imagine the hardcore sports game / shooter player would be ok with an early digital download as they are likely to play the game until the next yearly iteration.

That service has been available for years with EA Sports. I'm not sure what subscriber numbers are like.

An EA online based system using Sony's network infrastructure ?

What could possibly go wrong ?

:D I really didn't want to say but yeah. I can imagine how annoying it be if you wanted to play your rented games on an evening and PSN was down for maintenance again.

If it DID come across to Sony machines then I would hope it's not ANOTHER subscription. That would be taking the piss.

I'd guess that MS have a lot of leftover code from the Bone Plan A and have went to EA with this proposal and some excel graphs showing Profit for little effort and no money hats / bribes were necessary.

I'm guessing money hats for a short term exclustivity deal that is to help MS combat PSN+. Since day 1 Sony have somehow managed to keep PSN+ worth buying for PS4 users.

If it DID come across to Sony machines then I would hope it's not ANOTHER subscription. That would be taking the piss.

On Xbox does this EA access subscription negate the need for Xbox live gold subscription then?

Otherwise it is ANOTHER subscription on both platforms in addition to the one you pay to the platform holder

Some more info :

Awesome Value– Besides the great games in The Vault, EA Access members will save 10% on purchases of EA digital content for Xbox One offered through the Xbox Games Store. From full digital-download titles like the upcoming Dragon Age™ Inquisition or NHL®15, to additional membership services such as Battlefield 4 Premium or even FIFA Ultimate Team points, it’s all 10% off for members.*

Play First – Membership in EA Access lets you experience trials of new EA games up to five days before the release date.* It starts with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but more are on the way. If you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over so you can pick up right where you left off.

I like that bold bit - so you can effectively play the full games for free 5 days before launch then if you choose to buy it carry over your progress and keep going. I had assumed you'd have to have pre-ordered or paid up to get the access to them.

On Xbox does this EA access subscription negate the need for Xbox live gold subscription then?

Otherwise it is ANOTHER subscription on both platforms in addition to the one you pay to the platform holder

No I mean, if EA launch on the PS4 and someone is already subscribing to EA + on XBoxOne there shouldn't be a need for ANOTHER payment to EA to play on the PS4. It should be a cross platform subscription. In an ideal world.

No I mean, if EA launch on the PS4 and someone is already subscribing to EA + on XBoxOne there shouldn't be a need for ANOTHER payment to EA to play on the PS4. It should be a cross platform subscription. In an ideal world.

Oh right got you...

and errrr this is EA so I will be pleasantly shocked (flabberghasted) if that does turn out to be the case ;)

So now demos are for EA access members only and they've managed to make people think that's a positive thing. Interesting.

Well what is says is you can experience the demo 5 days before release. nothing in there saying that the demo's would be removed on release or only accessible to EA access members only. Nice that you've stated it as fact though!

Oh right got you...

and errrr this is EA so I will be pleasantly shocked (flabberghasted) if that does turn out to be the case ;)

a lady can dream. :)

I would rather that EA simply price their games better for online distribution. This seems like a confused proposal. Who are its target market? EA fans? If so will the FIFA games be on the service from their launch dates? Or "casual" gamers? In which case what does this service offer in addition to the PS+ and GoG services which console owners are already paying for if they wish to play online?

It could be good value for some, but as someone who already has enough to play thanks to PS+ and decent sale prices on PSN it would simply be an added subscription which does not offer a great deal of value to me. To be properly good then it needs to stand as an alternative to the current systems run by manufacturers; it can not do this whilst online gaming is kept behind their subscription paywalls.

My guess is that EA are trying to gauge the market's appetite for an online future - trialling the system on the XB1 and comparing its success against the sales on other platforms for a while. MS and EA are reportedly quite close also; it is feasible that this subscription and GoG could be bundled in the future. Not sure how that would work in practice though as EA would be wary of cannibalising their full-RRP FIFA sales in favour of a less lucrative subscription model.

Well what is says is you can experience the demo 5 days before release. nothing in there saying that the demo's would be removed on release or only accessible to EA access members only. Nice that you've stated it as fact though!

a lady can dream. :)

Why else would it be a perk? "Play this trial 5 days before release! The demo is out already, but please pay us to try the trial". Fifa demos always came a lot earlier than 5 days before release.

Some more info :

I like that bold bit - so you can effectively play the full games for free 5 days before launch then if you choose to buy it carry over your progress and keep going. I had assumed you'd have to have pre-ordered or paid up to get the access to them.

But you can't play them for more than a few hours. You're paying for demos.

Why else would it be a perk? "Play this trial 5 days before release! The demo is out already, but please pay us to try the trial". Fifa demos always came a lot earlier than 5 days before release.

I realise this is EA and they're generally dickheads so I'm sure there's a chance that demos for non EA Access subscribers may disappear. But lets wait till that ACTUALLY happens or EA say that's the case before starting with the hand wringing. Had enough of it at console launch where people were stating any old crap as fact.

What you're saying might come to be.

If I was EA I wouldn't remove demos as it'd cut off enticing lots of other customers from buying the game outright. But then I'm not a dickhead (despite what a lot of rllmukers might say ;))

A question.

Have they said if it works like PS+, i.e - download a game while it's on the service, yours as long as you have a sub.

Or will games disappear off.

They'll disappear, obviously. Otherwise you get every game on the system for £4 to keep forever.