8 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

WTF is going on with this story mode? It's been a good 10 minutes and all I've done is watch some bollocks of a cutscene.

I skipped all the cutscenes and the story mode took about an hour to run through. It’s still shit though as it forces you to play as tedious gammon Heihachi for pretty much all of it. Just grab the achievements and move on. 

Just had a dabble in some online quick matches. Got my arse handed to me in all but one of course.

Noticed some chatter about some people choosing bullshit characters (not me). Is that just sour grapes or are there general ones to avoid for balancing issues.

Slightly overwhelmed by the characters too as it's been a long time. I only remember a few combos from Law and Paul!  And they are probably leftovers from Tekken 1+2.

Any suggestions for must try characters?

3 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Just had a dabble in some online quick matches. Got my arse handed to me in all but one of course.

Noticed some chatter about some people choosing bullshit characters (not me). Is that just sour grapes or are there general ones to avoid for balancing issues.

Slightly overwhelmed by the characters too as it's been a long time. I only remember a few combos from Law and Paul!  And they are probably leftovers from Tekken 1+2.

Any suggestions for must try characters?

There are certainly balance concerns. Leroy Smith in particular was flat out busted, and while I don't know if they've fixed him yet, a number of other characters are clearly higher tier than others. I never found Geese too bad, but apparently he's a beast as well.

I'd actually give Xiaoyu a shot. Lili was my main in 5 DR and 6, but she felt slightly odd in this one, so despite the fact that I've disliked Xiaoyu since Tekken 3 with her stupid weird baby head, she's actually really cool in this one and doesn't look like a terrifying abomination of nature.

Heck, if you have the character, give Leroy a shot. Everyone'll hate you, but he does look cool.

I haven't been following it that much lately so my impression could be totally wrong but I think Leroy is seen as being overtuned, having too many tools and being boring but beatable these days. Still top tier but not quite broken. Fahkumram seems to be public enemy number one (edit: he's apparently just had some nerfs today).

There are some characters who people will moan about if you play online but in practice it only means they won't rematch you and 90% of people in low ranks won't rematch you anyway (or if they do it's only until they get one win then they're out of there). Xiaoyu, Law, Hwoarang, Zafina and Lei are especially 'popular' that way. Possibly King, Marduk, Yoshi and Steve too. Basically anyone who has evasive stances, makes annoying noises or will throw you :lol: 

But you should just play who you like really. Or if you don't like anyone in particular/like a lot of characters equally you could just overthink your character choice to the nth degree, dip in and out trying people out for months and end up basically never playing the game. That's my usual approach with fighting games.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Ha ha! I realised that this afternoon. :lol:

To be honest, I went through the same process a couple of weeks ago when she was announced.