rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Underworld Ascendent. (Yes. That Underworld series)

Best RPG ever to make a comeback in a new game

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-01-underworld-rpg-series-returning-with-new-game

Veteran game designer Paul Neurath is bringing the Underworld series back with a new game, Underworld Ascension.

He's set up a new studio in the Boston area, called OtherSide Entertainment, to do the honours.

Neurath's Ultima Underworld lifted a veil on what people expected from a video game. It was first-person, 3D and had you explore the ruins of a vast underground utopian civilization.

It would inspire The Elder Scrolls series of games as well as Ken Levine and his celebrated Shock games, among others.

Neurath would also go on to co-found Looking Glass Studios, the studio behind System Shock and Thief.

"With Underworld Ascension, we are excited to be bringing back the Underworld franchise, making it more vital than ever before," commented Neurath.

Exactly how he plans on doing that, so many years after Ultima Underworld made a splash, remains to be seen. We're to expect more details in the coming months. His old friends are keen, though.

• Upvote 3

"Yes that underworld series"

No it isn't, I was expecting some really crappy late underworld movie series tie in that would be amusing to look at.

• Upvote 9

It's been a good few years for fans of old CRPGs, if we're very lucky this will turn out to be as good a modernisation of the first-person dungeon crawler as as Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin have been of the post-apocalyptic adventures and open, simulated-world RPGs that inspired them, respectively.

oh god

If this turns out to be anything other than amazing I don't know if I could take it. The Underworld games are two of my favourites of all time.

I'm just looking forward to the game coming out and someone, somewhere decrying the game's use of an inter-reactive physics engine and reactive AI for emergent gameplay as derivative of Breath of the Wild.

I backed this but not been keeping a track of where they're up to.  Apparently the Beta's out today.  I'll have to give that a go later.

This is out now on Steam. 15% off. Is anyone going to take one for the team and let us know how it is?

Well, I backed it so I own it... but I also won't get a chance to sit down and play it until the weekend, and at that point it will be vying with Hitman 2 for my attention :/

I bought it, despite currently being way into Vampyr and still about halfway through. It's a new Underworld made by what is basically Looking Glass Studios 2.0. I'm hoping it will live up to the expectations that come with both the Underworld and the Looking Glass names.

I expect connoisseurs like @daveodeth and @PC Master Race in this thread before long. Surely a new Underworld game, and a new Looking Glass game, take precedent over any cowboy shenanigans they're probably currently engaged in.

I didn't have chance to play the beta much in the end. Didn't really make it out of the 'tutorial' part of the game before having to do more important stuff.  

I like the fantasy miniatures look of the graphic though.

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

please tell me it's good

Spoiler

please tell me it's good

On 01/07/2014 at 15:03, NoVisAnima said:

"Yes that underworld series"

No it isn't, I was expecting some really crappy late underworld movie series tie in that would be amusing to look at.

Haha this was my exact reaction when I just clicked on the thread. 

I quickly fired it up before going back to finish Vampyr first. I played less than an hour of Underworld Ascendant but it makes a terrible first impression. Which is disappointing because even now when I fire up the first Underworld, I'm immediately sucked into its atmosphere. To be fair, it all was very tutorial-ey still so it could improve massively later on. Like Vampyr coincidentally, which had an equally horrendous start and is now well on its way to become one of my top favourite best rpgs of this entire generation. But oh boy I hope Ascendant improves later on because it just didn't feel good and had zero atmosphere - not helped by the game being hella dark on my screen and the brightness slider doing nothing. Oh and while there is a FOV slider, the advanced graphics options are choosing between very low, low, medium, high, and ultra with no indication what those settings encompass never mind mixing and matching as desired like any proper pc game ever made.

I'm waiting for some reviews, but if those confirm that it doesn't improve I'm asking for a refund. With a broken heart :(

• Upvote 1

Downloading a review copy of this and dreading it being terrible. Not had a good run of review titles, aside from the lovely Spyro trilogy, so feel like I'm due a gem. Not sure this is going to be it though. I loved Arx Fatalis so here's hoping it captures some of that feel.

At least the start of Ascendant has nothing on - and is nothing like - Arx Fatalis, sadly. If only! I don't know who you are reviewing it for but please keep your friends at rllmuk updated, I'm curious to know what you make of it and if it gets better.

I've requested a refund :( I blame myself for letting my hope/hype get the best of me. Strong candidate for my biggest disappointment of 2018.

Fallout 76 turned out exactly as I expected it to. I had incredibly high hopes for Ascendant though. I think I'll join you and also fire up Arx.

On 16/11/2018 at 18:35, Mr. Gerbik said:

At least the start of Ascendant has nothing on - and is nothing like - Arx Fatalis, sadly. If only! I don't know who you are reviewing it for but please keep your friends at rllmuk updated, I'm curious to know what you make of it and if it gets better.

Looks like I'll be posting an 'unreviewable' non-review like RPS did. Got delayed by a dodgy RAM upgrade but it's full system crashed on me, lost progress due to updates and is just pretty shit. Gonna give it one more chance but I would have refunded it by now if it weren't a review copy.

Btw, I review for thesixthaxis. We aren't just Playstation any more but people often think we are due to the name.

On 21/11/2018 at 20:30, earlymodernsteve said:

Looks like I'll be posting an 'unreviewable' non-review like RPS did. Got delayed by a dodgy RAM upgrade but it's full system crashed on me, lost progress due to updates and is just pretty shit. Gonna give it one more chance but I would have refunded it by now if it weren't a review copy.

Btw, I review for thesixthaxis. We aren't just Playstation any more but people often think we are due to the name.

Thanks for the info. Shame to hear that it only gets worse.

18 hours ago, Metal Hands said:

Is the Xbox One version out on a different date? I've seen ads, which say "Out now", yet I can't find it on the store :/

Console versions were announced only recently with a vague '2019'release date. I wouldn't hold my breath because 1) the game is bad 2) console versions might not happen after all if the PC version tanks really badly

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Thanks for the info. Shame to hear that it only gets worse.

Console versions were announced only recently with a vague '2019'release date. I wouldn't hold my breath because 1) the game is bad 2) console versions might not happen after all if the PC version tanks really badly

Fair enough.  Luckily it's a game I just heard of and was interested so I'm not dead excited for it. If it doesn't come to consoles. No biggie I guess