The Predator (2018) - Written by Shane Black & Fred Dekker

8 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

Do reshoots always result in an abomination that pleases neither the original target audience or the test screening audience on whose whims they haphazardly retooled the film?

Sometimes it goes well. Other times not so well.

Studio executives are the ones who always demand changes due to the receptions at test audience screenings -

http://mentalfloss.com/article/64467/11-movies-changed-because-test-audiences

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/test-screenings/32412/51-films-and-how-they-were-affected-by-test-screenings

39 minutes ago, Djx said:

Sometimes it goes well. Other times not so well.

Studio executives are the ones who always demand changes due to the receptions at test audience screenings -

http://mentalfloss.com/article/64467/11-movies-changed-because-test-audiences

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/test-screenings/32412/51-films-and-how-they-were-affected-by-test-screenings

The answers definitely a positive yes then. 

I've read the script for this and really like how it kicks off. The rest of the story sounds a bit shit but I've seen rumours the reshoots are to *maybe* get an arnie cameo in - which Shane Black has been trying to get since day 1. 

They did write a role for arnie but he originally said no because it was too short. 

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Goose said:

According to one of the stars, the reshoots are now complete. He states that about 3/4 of the final act have been reshot.

They should cut their losses now and just sell it directly to Netflix

They’re screening one at the big cinema convention (used to be Show West, can’t think what it is now) and then it should go out to the public.

Whether it’ll be the same trailer I don’t know. Show West used to get mainly sizzle reels.

I trust in Shane Black but this is starting to be a concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Trailer description. Hmmm.

Spoiler

The trailer opens on Jacob Tremblay at home, opening a cardboard box, and pulling out a Predator gauntlet. He opens the armor up, detaches a piece, and plays with it like a spaceship. As he does, it appears he is remotely controlling a real Predator ship and causes it to crash on Earth.

Next, we see Boyd Holbrook’s Quinn McKenna in an interrogation room, being grilled about a mission that caused the rest of his team to be “torn to pieces”. As the trailer continues, we see him in combat gear, approaching a downed Predator ship and picking up a nearby Predator mask.

Shortly thereafter, we see that Holbrook is the father of Tremblay’s character, Rory McKenna, whose mother is played by Yvonne Strahovski. Next, there's a series of fast cut scenes that include a shot of the Predator wielding a boomerang-like weapon (soaked with blood). Explosions, gunfire and other manners of mayhem follow as the Predator warns that he's back to ruin everyone's day. 

The scene is then followed by Olivia Munn’s character, Casey Bracket (possibly a scientist of sorts), speaking about how the Predator is evolving after each visit to Earth. We see the Predator in her lab, throwing people and causing havoc, but we never get a full on, complete look at the iconic creature. Lots of teasing and mystery here. The trailer ends with Munn shooting a gun. As one of the guys asks where she learned to shoot, she replies, “America.”

I predict nobody will like this film :(

It's weird how literally every single bit of information right from the announcement onwards has sounded wrong and worrisome. We all have good taste, so we all love the first Predator, and we all would like to see a second good Predator film. With Black's name attached to this one, one would assume that this one is finally it. But with every reveal, every teaser, every on-set photo, every trailer description, it just feels more and more wrong.

Predator is such a strange one really. In many ways it shouldn't work and perhaps because everyone now knows Predator, the whole stalking by it and "the jungle came alive" type stuff might not work but...

Imho, that's exactly what it should be, to a degree even if it was just a proper version of predator 2 with less obviously racist characters and comedy grannies. Make it like a grin detective film but with a predator, or if him being op is an issue have him decide he wants to hunt in an army base so there are good soldiers and big guns.

Don't have kids in it.

Don't try and make it funny.

Don't add unnecessary gimmicks to predators tools.

Don't try and make it an extended universe.

Don't add weird new types of predators.

And yet, this one seems to be doing at least some of those things even though the last load of shit and the AVP movies have done all those things and they've not been a huge success. Maybe there's a link?

The problem with The Predator original movie is that while its an interesting premise of war and sci-fi mash-up (like Aliens also pulled off spectacularly) the main mechanic of the threat is to show how absolutely bad ass its protagonist is. Arnie isn't just the best of his platoon (and you have a great group of characters that could arguably been stars of their own action movie), but he is better than a killing machine from space which comes to earth simply to hunt. The chances of Arnie's survival are so remote, yet he succeeds. Its hero building and worship, but also very wonderfully balanced cat and mouse stuff that's at the heart of the movie. Once you've seen that play out you're in diminishing returns for any sequels that try to follow the formula or you go a different approach that lacks this central aspect of what makes the original so good. The sequel had the great idea of switching the setting up that I still think has unachieved potential in it...I'm not sure where I'm going with this tbh. I guess you need somebody as bad ass as Arnie (or Ripley) to capture the appeal of the originals.

Indeed. Predator was about brawn Vs brawn, skill Vs skill. Predator 2 was Danny Glover. Now, generally speaking Danny Glover is great, but Predator 2 was basically Murtagh without Riggs fighting an elite alien Hunter than only someone like Arnie can reasonably take on. It was never a believable match up, not even in a David vs Goliath sense. And the ending? Blurgh. Terrible. 

It's a very good point you make, @SpagMasterSwift, and also lends itself to Terminator 2: another film with Arnie as the bad guy couldn't work, because since the first film, he'd  been built up to be this unstoppable, badass hero due to all the action films he'd been in, but having him as the good guy? Perfection. 

1 minute ago, Darren said:

Every time I see this thread I get Shane Black mixed up with Shane Meadows and now I want a Shane Meadows Predator sequel more than anything in the world.

What's Meadows up to these days anyway? Is he focusing mostly on TV stuff?

Can't believe Dead Man's Shoes is fourteen years old now.

I did find it amusing that when Spielberg needed the most grimy, run down location imaginable to represent the real world in Ready Player One, he travelled all the way to Birmingham to do it. 

Disclaimer: I've got nowt against Birmingham.  He could have picked loads of cities in this country. Tons of them look like shit.

As a preamble I would like to say that Predator is one of the best 80s action films ever probably only topped by Robocop and Terminator.

The problem with any predator sequel is it is working with a shit concept and shit material that was originally elevated by the pure testosterone and cheese.

The casting call for Predator must have been "bicep size - massive ... acting talent - zero" as I have never seen a better film more poorly acted. The acting was either non-existant or risible for all concerned. The plotting simplistic and dumb as a post. However chucking that many big muscle men who can't act into a Scifi monster movie with that number of one liners was utter genius. The knowing winks from the director were so arch I think everyone spotted it!

Fact of the matter is the Predator as a concept is fairly rubbish. The original works as it just is camp pantomime for 100 minutes and grabs the audience and doesn't let go with its one liners and action rushing us through a fantastic explosion of mud, sweat and invisible alien.

Any sequel is totally fucked. Predator 2 is poor and yet it has one liners, 80s kitsch (in 1990) and Danny Glover AND Bill fucking Paxton chewing the scenery ands all it can do is get an "yeah hmmm dodgy sequel". In any other film of the era that combination would be gold.

the 2010 reboot/remake had a crack and got it wrong and this one will fail too.

The original, on paper, should not work but does so magnificently. It is lightning in a bottle.