rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
John0

RLLMUK Hearthstone Tournament

Yeah Sunday will be fine mate. just send me a ping on b.net. I'll be out on the bike in the morning but around 5pm onwards will be online.

Nice one. Will probably be looking at 8pm onwards? Gives me time to put the nipper to bed.

Dirty Hunter strikes again:

strawdonkey [Hunter] 2 - 0 Patriot [Paladin]

Things to look out for:

- Passive-aggressive daily quest message at the end of both games

- Patriot perfectly playing around secrets at the end of game 1, and still getting boned by RNG

- Superb Equality-based board wipe in game 2 to deal with a pretty favourable board position

[edit] Also, I have a new PC so hopefully the videos run at a reasonable framerate from this point onwards!

• Upvote 1

Nicely played Donk, I imagine you used to play Red decks on Magic? You seem to have an all out attack approach.

Apologies if I missed it but where can I sign up for any following tournaments please? I'll get you guys added now that I've got an iPad. Cheers in advance.

The deck is deceptively complex. It's not the most difficult to get results with but you have to think carefully about your plays, else you can end up losing all your momentum, especially if you overextend and get punished for it.

Sometimes you just have to go for it and put them to a low life total and hope you can clean up with the hero ability too, and knowing when to use your removal is crucial. Timing your Unleashes is important too as you don't always need to extract maximum value from them.

All that said, sometimes the correct course of action is to make a load of creatures and repeatedly insert them into your opponent's face :)

I'll post the full list once the tournament is over. Won't be hugely relevant now Naxx is fully available, mind!

Caught up with tnman, and we got our games played tonight.

Game 1 was Hunter vs Hunter, and a pretty comfortable win for tnman. I wasted my vulture/hounds combo too early in desperation and never looked like closing the gap against quite an inventive, unusual hunter deck. Minor moment of controversy when I played a naxx spider card, not realising naxx was off the menu for the tournament, but it didn't affect the outcome, as I was well on my way to a spanking at that point anyway. There was a brief interlude before game two, as I removed all naxx cards from my warlock deck in readiness for the rematch.

Game 2 was Warlock vs Warlock, with mine being full on, low cost, damage to the face type stuff. Can't remember too much in the way of detail, as it was a fairly fast moving round. I got a lot of luck with the draw, and just the right cards at the right time, and ended up winning with a bit of health to spare.

Game 3 was my Warlock vs tnman's Mage, and was an incredibly tight game. My face attacks saw me whittle his health down early on, but by mid game he was rolling out the bigger guns and taunts that I was having trouble shifting. With tnman's health on 2, and healthy taunts on his side of the board, I threw out a leper gnome, but had no way of offing him until the next turn. He was duly poly morphed into a non threat, and I was given enough thump to the face to know I wouldn't last another turn, and my hand was empty. Drew a harvest golum. No good. Last throw of the dice was to use hero power to get one last card, and top decked soul fire. A horrible, cheap and unjust way to win, but that's the way it goes sometimes, I guess. Apologies again, tnman.

So, final score: SomethingWitty 2 - 1 tnman

Cheers for the games. Apologies for the naxx mixup in game 1, and indeed for the outlandish luck that gave me the win in the decider. Enjoyable games, but probably quite infuriating for you.

GG! Not infuriating, as I knew it was coming at some point as you'd only used one soul fire throughout the last game. It's when mages use pyroblast to off ten damage to win that I get annoyed. That feels unfair as ten health can be a long way to go in Hearthstone. Not so much two.

I beat PaulM 2-1.

He trounced my Warrior deck in the first match. I had a good opening hand, but drew poorly afterwards and wasn't able to make the best use of the mana curve. PaulM and his Shaman on the other hand played a great round, answering all my plays perfectly, finishing me off with a bucket of burst damage. I was so thoroughly beaten I did not have high hopes for my subsequent matches.

For round 2 we both changed decks, my Ramp Druid versus his Priest. I got off to a good start, and kept board control throughout, getting great value from both my Wraths due to bonus spell damage from a pair of Drakes.

In the last round it was my Druid versus his Shaman. I was lucky with a round 1 Coin > Innervate > Yeti, which is always tricky to handle. He couldn't get anything to stick to the board, and the turn after he used his first Hex I slapped down Ragnaros, which was pretty much game.

Likewise sent one to Omus.

I got a response on the 15th it seems and didn't notice! A mod can check or something or poke Omus themselves to confirm:

Sent 15 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hey, due to tech and time problems, I hope you don't mind but I'm gonna have to concede.

Apologies. :)

I'm out. NEG beat me 2-1.

I won the first match with my lucky Warrior deck by getting early control of the board, but in the rematch I swapped to Ramp Druid, and failed to draw any of my ramping spells early on, which went very well to NEG's advantage, as he was simply stalling for enough time to play all the legendaries in his deck. Without the mana advantage I was simply playing into his control tactics. Eventually I got Ragnaros out, but he was answered straight away with a BGH, and Ysera got Equality-ized before I could get too much value out of her.

For the decider I switched back to Warrior, but I had few counters to the strong minions he fielded, and I knew a Cairne backed up by Redemption was going to eat many of my cards.

• Upvote 1

I somehow won the moderator, please don't ban me! (2-1)

Good games though. His warrior deck is deadly and can swiftly kill. Meanwhile how Rev managed to destroy 2 Tauren king guys (and the son he spawns) in one turn was pretty amazing to see.

Well, we haven't bumped into one another...yet! But I didn't get a friend request so I wonder if I already have him on the list or not.

Lost 0-2 :( Pat's Paladin had the better early hand + rushing me to not get going on my healing. Second round good old rush murloc came to play, I didn't draw any of my wipe floor cards to take care of endless stream of minions by turn 6-7.

Oh well, about time the next tourny started cooking! Good luck on the final. :)

We have our final!

strawdonkey vs patriot

(I think if strawdonkey loses then technically there should be a rematch, as he hasn't lost yet... I beleive that's how these things are supposed to work?)

Yeah - there's a winners bracket and a losers bracket. In Grand Finals, the player in winners bracket needs to win one set of matches, but the player in losers bracket needs to win two - effectively knocking the player from winners bracket into losers bracket and then eliminating them from the competition altogether.

Now that Buzzard and Leeroy have been nerfed I need to spend a bit of time putting together another deck that contains no Naxx cards.