Football League Championship Season 2014/15

It's all very confusing. Reports we're getting Paul Clement from Real Madrid but it's unclear if McClaren will need to be paid off or not.

It seems a pretty bonkers decision if he's not walking - yes it's in the second division but he has the best win percentage of any Derby manager ever and I'd put our lack of playoffs down to Chris Martin's injury. He'd previously earned the nickname "The Wardrobe" for never getting injured and is easily our most influential and important player.

I went to school with him (he was in the year below) and at Norwich he was best known as "The Beccles Brawler", due to getting barred from every pub in the Beccles area for fighting. I thought that nickname was a bit naff, but you Derby fans have outdone us on that front it seems!

Otherwise, OTBC! David McNally, please please PLEASE buy a decent striker this time, thanks.

Congratulations to Norwich anyway *gritted teeth*.

We've seemingly failed to turn up, which is very disappointing, but sounds like Norwich have deserved it nonetheless.

I'm actually not a fan of the play-offs in general, and while I understand why they're there I often think it unfair on the team who finished third that they can be usurped at the final hurdle by a team who finished maybe 15 points below them in the league.

As much as I'd happily take the win today (there really was sod all between us and Norwich in the league anyway), the more rational part of my brain thinks it only just that the team in 3rd gets promoted. That's little comfort now though, and not that I'd have much time and space for sympathy right now if we'd won, of course.

Congratulations to Norwich anyway *gritted teeth*.

We've seemingly failed to turn up, which is very disappointing, but sounds like Norwich have deserved it nonetheless.

I'm actually not a fan of the play-offs in general, and while I understand why they're there I often think it unfair on the team who finished third that they can be usurped at the final hurdle by a team who finished maybe 15 points below them in the league.

As much as I'd happily take the win today (there really was sod all between us and Norwich in the league anyway), the more rational part of my brain thinks it only just that the team in 3rd gets promoted. That's little comfort now though, and not that I'd have much time and space for sympathy right now if we'd won, of course.

Yeah, I totally agree with that though last time it was debated on here I was accused of being bitter since my team was the one in question who'd failed to go up despite being way ahead in third. Understandable that that'd happen really but I've always felt the same, even though we've won three finals in my time and only lost that one. To me the league is there to decide who deserves what over the course of a full season, for it to then come down to a one-off game which could easily be decided on a dodgy decision or a freak goal or (more commonly) penalties hasn't ever sat quite right with me.

Obviously it's exciting for the neutral and brings an extra televised game and a sense of climax but if we absolutely have to have something along those lines it'd seem more 'right' to me if the third placed team played the one above the relegation zone in the league above. But even that seems a bit unfair given the financial gulf there is between divisions these days.

Didn't realise it was an early game. Congrats to Norwich, wanted Boro to win though just to make a bit of a change.

Though now Norwich are back in the PL maybe Suarez will want to return too.

Yeah, I totally agree with that though last time it was debated on here I was accused of being bitter since my team was the one in question who'd failed to go up despite being way ahead in third. Understandable that that'd happen really but I've always felt the same, even though we've won three finals in my time and only lost that one. To me the league is there to decide who deserves what over the course of a full season, for it to then come down to a one-off game which could easily be decided on a dodgy decision or a freak goal or (more commonly) penalties hasn't ever sat quite right with me.

Obviously it's exciting for the neutral and brings an extra televised game and a sense of climax but if we absolutely have to have something along those lines it'd seem more 'right' to me if the third placed team played the one above the relegation zone in the league above. But even that seems a bit unfair given the financial gulf there is between divisions these days.

I suppose the main argument in favour of the play-offs is more to do with keeping the league interesting up to the end of the season, over any financial aspect from it being televised. And it's hard to disagree on that I suppose, it does give a larger number of teams something to keep playing for and makes the Championship in particular a very exciting league.

To me, it would make more sense to move to the Scottish idea of the "battle for the place" - the team just above the relegation zone taking on the third/fourth place team (depending on the division).

Norwich were good on the day, Boro have got to be gutted at putting in a poor performance on the day when they had beaten the Canaries twice during the season.

Well, we had a great day, even taking into consideration the result. The fans turned up but unfortunately most of the players didn't .

Congratulations to Norwich, a better team on the day and deserved to go up. Anyway, this season has been great and hopefully we will kick on from here. It's imperative we get a couple of goal scorers though as at the end of the day, it was lack of goals that cost us promotion.

But as my Dad points out, Norwich (and Boro) earned more than the two teams that went up automatically. That's daft.

Hull facing a loss of up to £50 million next year, even with the parachute payment. The system needs to change or re-align the league numbers, or more clubs are going to go to the wall and face Financial Fair Play penalties.

But as my Dad points out, Norwich (and Boro) earned more than the two teams that went up automatically. That's daft.

Hull facing a loss of up to £50 million next year, even with the parachute payment. The system needs to change or re-align the league numbers, or more clubs are going to go to the wall and face Financial Fair Play penalties.

Not sure that is right on either count, 'bro get the gate receipts as I understand and Norwich get the same share of the prem payment as both the promoted clubs.

Hull bet the club finances on staying up and they lost - there are many things wrong with the way football is funded esp in the lower leagues but Hull losing money isn't really one of them.

Still absolutly wounded about the match, not even so much the result but the performance. The thing with Middlesbeough this season is that crucial first goal, if we concede first we have no plan B so it was always going to be difficult.

I dont think that result should detract from what was an immensly improved season for us, so many players who have shone and not just Bamford but for me Friend, Ayala, Gibson, Leadbitter, Clayton (to name a few!) all fantastic and thats a great base to take into next season.

I think forward to next season now, obviously we have to hold onto Karanka! And as many key players as possible, I think Friend will be the hardest one to hold onto, he is a fantastic LB, I think someone will make us an offer too good to refuse.

I have full faith we will pick up some new attacking options aswell, hopefully an out an out LW and RB. Hopefully take on a few youths as our Under 21s had a great season and then rob the rest out of the Chelsea academy!

Cannot wait for next season! Roll on channel 5 at 9. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Stuart Gray sacked. Seems a touch harsh from the outside? They were in bother when I took over if I recall, I suppose they must've expected more last season even though it would've meant a pretty swift progression.