rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Fox

Football thread 2014/15 season

It was obvious from the commentary that they were clearly in the middle of a thrilling game when I turned the TV on just now, and saw a snippet of the Liverpool U21s V Chelsea U21s:

*several seconds of silence*
"You've got to give credit to the groundsman"
*another long silence*
"The pitch is in lovely condition"
*lengthy pause*
"Here at Chesterfield" (or possibly somewhere else)
*more silence*

Are they? You'd know better than me but that Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela didn't even play, how much did they cost? Adebayor, is he still there?

He's talking nonsense, Chadli has improved I guess to the point that he's occasionally useful and Eriksen has done well for the most part (especially considering his age), but the others have all been varying degrees of awful. Lamela good in flashes I guess, he's improved under Poch but has hardly set the league alight.

Good Spurs players are Lloris, Bentaleb, Eriksen. Maybe Kane too but it's still possible he's the 2K15 version of Marcus Stewart.

Are they? You'd know better than me but that Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela didn't even play, how much did they cost? Adebayor, is he still there?

Lamela has been pivotal this season, sets up lots of out goals - Soldado is a disappointment and Paulinho is average but yeah still we are about where we were and the changing of managers has set us back more than losing Bale i would argue at this stage.

Adebayor has fallen out with the manager having made up with him after his 'family issues' so who knows where he is these days!

Paddy Power in stupid publicity stunt shock.

They're basically the betting company equivalent of Paddyo's Liverposting.

Lamela has been pivotal this season, sets up lots of out goals - Soldado is a disappointment and Paulinho is average but yeah still we are about where we were and the changing of managers has set us back more than losing Bale i would argue at this stage.

Adebayor has fallen out with the manager having made up with him after his 'family issues' so who knows where he is these days!

So, Lamela's "lots of our goals" is five assists. £73m for those three, five assists.

Coincidentally as many as Gylfi Sigurðsson has managed this season, who I believe you could have got quite a bit more cheaply.

Tony Mowbray is now the manager of Coventry, as we are fighting relegation from League 1 with no funds to bring in anything in. Any Celtic, Borough, West Brom fans care to say what he's like and whther you think he's a good manager/will do a good job?

It's Boro and he did ok I thought but we needed change and it has worked so far.

I'd say he's a good signing for you.

So, Lamela's "lots of our goals" is five assists. £73m for those three, five assists.

Coincidentally as many as Gylfi Sigurðsson has managed this season, who I believe you could have got quite a bit more cheaply.

He has 6 assists and 4 goals - same as Ozil so he was either a bargain or Ozil was a waste of money, should Arsenal have bought the much better Sigi?

Not sure you know how the stats thing works, you can't add up 3 players cost and then use the wrong stat for one as an argument about how good or bad he is...

He has 6 assists and 4 goals - same as Ozil so he was either a bargain or Ozil was a waste of money, should Arsenal have bought the much better Sigi?

Not sure you know how the stats thing works, you can't add up 3 players cost and then use the wrong stat for one as an argument about how good or bad he is...

I said they were shit transfers, you said they weren't because Lamela had made loads of goals. That was all you got from those 3 players, so that's £73m spent for that much return.

Of course if it's 6 rather than 5, that's fucking brilliant. Excellent signing! Great stuff!

(Although whoscored says 5.)

I said they were shit transfers, you said they weren't because Lamela had made loads of goals. That was all you got from those 3 players, so that's £73m spent for that much return.

Of course if it's 6 rather than 5, that's fucking brilliant. Excellent signing! Great stuff!

I said at the time that I didn't believe Spurs had spent well during that summer of splashing the Bale cash. Lamela was looked at by most of Europe's biggest clubs and everyone seemed to pass on him, I know that isn't always indicative of how a player performs but if multiple clubs don't think a player is good enough for the highest level then there is good reason for it. Lamela has proved the doubters right so far, he hasn't shown at any consistency that he is good enough for where Spurs want to be.

So yeah I'd agree that so far Spurs three biggest signings from the Bale cash have been flops. Its been almost two seasons now and they have yet to show that they can make it in the Premiership.

He is our top assists player, has scored a few and seemingly is getting better - he isn't a shit transfer much as i am sure you would say Ozil isn't even if his stats are the same and he cost 15 million more?

None of them have been shit transfers, Soldado hasn't worked out as hoped and Paulinho is hit and miss - neither have contributed zero as you are suggesting!

I said at the time that I didn't believe Spurs had spent well during that summer of splashing the Bale cash. Lamela was looked at by most of Europe's biggest clubs and everyone seemed to pass on him, I know that isn't always indicative of how a player performs but if multiple clubs don't think a player is good enough for the highest level then there is good reason for it. Lamela has proved the doubters right so far, he hasn't shown at any consistency that he is good enough for where Spurs want to be.

So yeah I'd agree that so far Spurs three biggest signings from the Bale cash have been flops. Its been almost two seasons now and they have yet to show that they can make it in the Premiership.

Lamela didn't play last season through injury, he has shown plenty of potential this season but Booby and Paul have been flops at worst not shit.

What about the rest of the Bale money, its easy to pick on the players that haven't worked but you forget those that have been great for us - Liverpool spent the Suarez money far far worse!

Lamela didn't play last season through injury, he has shown plenty of potential this season but Booby and Paul have been flops at worst not shit.

What about the rest of the Bale money, its easy to pick on the players that haven't worked but you forget those that have been great for us - Liverpool spent the Suarez money far far worse!

I love that you concede everyone Tottenham signed was shit in their first season and stress that the money's been spent well because they're finally coming good now.

At the same time as this, you insist that Liverpool's signings were all obviously more shit because they're not performing very well in their first season.

Are you typing this shit without even engaging your brain?

• Upvote 8

Lallana, Moreno & Can have done well, Markovic not great but some good games, only same age as Sterling but foreign, Lambert was only cheap, Balotelli not very good but still about 10 million less & 5 years younger than Soldado, Lovren not good, I think the alarm bells should of rung when we knew Tottenham were interested!

He is our top assists player, has scored a few and seemingly is getting better - he isn't a shit transfer much as i am sure you would say Ozil isn't

Yeah, he is.

• Upvote 1

I love that you concede everyone Tottenham signed was shit in their first season and stress that the money's been spent well because they're finally coming good now.

At the same time as this, you insist that Liverpool's signings were all obviously more shit because they're not performing very well in their first season.

Are you typing this shit without even engaging your brain?

Except i didn't say that, I said Lamela didn't play much last season....

Chadli & Eriksen were very good for us last season, Capoue was playing well until his injury seemed to knock him back as was Chiriches - he seems to be coming back on track now.

One could argue Paulinho was much better last season than this and Soldado has been about the same.

Lallana, Moreno & Can have done well, Markovic not great but some good games, only same age as Sterling but foreign, Lambert was only cheap, Balotelli not very good but still about 10 million less & 5 years younger than Soldado, Lovren not good, I think the alarm bells should of rung when we knew Tottenham were interested!

I'm surprised how far Can has come in such a short space in time, I never thought that he'd be a first team player already. A bit harsh on Markovic, he was bought for the future and has made some vital contributions already, consistency is lacking in his game but he's only young and still adjusting to the league. Still he produces some moments of magic during games, his pass to set up a chance for Lallana on Sunday was just sublime, he already has the vision and ability, he just needs to develop his game.

The only criticism I have of our expenditure during the summer is that we probably didn't need to buy both Lallana and Markovic, especially since we had Suso and Ibe. I think that money could have been much better used towards a top top striker (if there was one available). But i'm happpy with both players regardless. We did need a centre back but Lovren has disappointed although in the last two games he has looked good, not great but an improvement to earlier in the season.

Genuinely fearful for Clarets' trip to Anfield tonight. I've been telling cow-orkers (I work in the Liver Building) that anything less than a 3-0 home win is a moral victory for my lot.

I've got a ticket as well. And a growing conviction that I've made a terrible mistake in doing so.

Chill, standard procedure after a good run like ours is to slump to a miserable 1-0 home loss to a 'lesser team'.

I don't think the City game, impressive as it was, is a fair benchmark of how Liverpool are playing at the moment.

I'd be very surprised if Burnley let them play through the centre as freely as City did.

Utd paid £16.5m as Falcaos loan fee. That is an entire Balotelli.

Only played as much as Balotelli and they don't even have to find some idiot to take him off their hands?

Bargain.

• Upvote 1

Balotelli was a bargain, even if he hasn't worked out. Someone will definitely take him off their hands for just a bit less than they paid.

Including wages?

They've spent at least £10m and they'd have got more use sticking a bucket of sheet shit in the centre circle most games.