rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Fox

Football thread 2014/15 season

Look at the FA Cup, with Chelsea, City and Southampton all going out early. Doesn't make the Championship/League 1 better does it, just means that on that particular day one team was better than another.

Absolutely and to take Chelsea going out as an example, that was a team playing out of their fucking skin taking advantage of first complacency then panic from Chelsea. Sometimes all you can do is stand and clap them. And anyone who saw their league cup run a while ago and was still complacent deserves all they get.

They should do a 1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, 20th vs 20th tournament between La Liga, the Premiership and whichever else wanted to get involved. It'd be genuinely interesting.

• Upvote 2

There was talk a few years ago of having a 2-division European Superleague, as opposed to the rumoured-for-years 1-division superleague (I remember talk of it going back to the mid-80s at least). Whilst I don't think it's a great idea - not least for the fans - it would be interesting to have a sizeable group of European teams playing each other in a league format for the different disciplines it would require.

They should do a 1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, 20th vs 20th tournament between La Liga, the Premiership and whichever else wanted to get involved. It'd be genuinely interesting.

This is a great idea! Could even be just a single match for each side, picking the leagues at random or something.

• Upvote 1

wrong sunderland player sent off at old trafford. both players telling referee who the correct one was. worst season of refereeing in living memory?

Yeah, BBC reported O'Shea was off but now says Brown. Has it been corrected then?

It's not like he couldn't have changed his mind, I don't get it at all. Someone the other week was shown a red card for a second bookable offence even though it was their first yellow card, so the referee just told him to stay on.

Definitely the worst season of refereeing. Man Utd have only had 2 penalties at home for a start!

• Upvote 1

Another defeat for Southampton, that's 4 in 6 now. They also haven't won at home since the 1st day of the year.

Hard game away to West Brom up next as well.

WildDeadlyIguana.gif

Looking at that, I'd say it's not quite as obvious as to who's fouling as it's being made out. I don't know where the ref is but he could easily have thought Brown took Falcao's leg at the end rather than O'Shea's vague manhandling that I presume it was, it's not like one of them was yards or even feet away from the incident or anything.

He's through on goal after making that turn, it's obvious denial of a clear blah blah.

oshea barely touched him then he fell over on some litter. worst officials ever, something needs to be done.

If you'd placed a bet on O'Shea to get sent off, what would happen now?

You lost, he didn't get sent off.

You're betting he gets sent off, not that he should do.

It's not like he couldn't have changed his mind, I don't get it at all. Someone the other week was shown a red card for a second bookable offence even though it was their first yellow card, so the referee just told him to stay on.

If Refs start changing their minds because players are telling them it's mistaken identity then every time they're about to send a star player off then whichever member of the team was even remotely close is going to start owning up.

oshea barely touched him

Dunno if you've noticed but this tends to happen in football these days. He still puts both hands onto Falcao's shoulders and impedes him, definite penalty/red, even if it's fairly soft.

After the incident the match referee consulted with his team of officials but none were better placed to offer guidance

Clownschool.jpg

Can't wait to see what they fuck up in the Cup Final tomorrow.

Can't wait to see what they fuck up in the Cup Final tomorrow.

So you think this incident was completely clear cut then? An unforgivable error, one that was so obvious it was impossible for anyone to get wrong? I don't think so, even from what was the linesmans angle (assuming he wasn't on the opposite side of the pitch, which would've given an even worse view) I don't see much of an issue with why what happened happened given it's incredibly easy to see why they might think it was Brown clipping him. The refereeing has been particularly shite in general, but the reaction to this incident is already approaching ridiculous levels of hyperbole.

• Upvote 5