Splatoon - "Go ahead... Make a mess"

main-logo.png

key-art.png

By Nintendo

Official Site

Release Date: 28 May 2015

ABOUT

Show Your True Colors

Splatter enemies and claim your turf as the ink-spewing, squid-like characters called Inklings in Nintendo's new third-person action shooter game for the Wii U console. Challenge your friends in chaotic four-on-four matches, in which the goal is to get your ink on as many places as possible and claim your turf, all while strategically submerging yourself in your team's colors and blasting your enemies. This is a colorful and chaotic online third-person action shooter – exclusively on Wii U.

FEATURES:

• Team up and take on other teams in an action-filled battle to cover the level with as much ink as possible. Spray walls to access hard-to-reach areas.
  • Covering more territory with ink unlocks powered-up super weapons that can be used to attack rivals or cover more turf.
  • Strategy is everything. Defeat enemies to splatter them in an explosion of ink, covering more turf for your team. But choose wisely: Players who only go after the enemy might find their turf redecorated in their enemies' colors.
  • Refill ink tanks, hide from opponents or move faster by turning into a squid and diving into the ink with the tap of a button.
  • Select between multiple control options on the Wii U GamePad controller, including using gyroscopic controls to look around, allowing for better aiming and control.
  • Hop online and battle in four-on-four matches.

IMAGES

screenshot_64660_thumb_wide930.jpg

screenshot_64659_thumb_wide930.jpg

screenshot_64667_thumb_wide930.jpg

screenshot_64665_thumb_wide930.jpg

screenshot_64663_thumb_wide930.jpg

screenshot_64662_thumb_wide930.jpg

screenshot_64661_thumb_wide930.jpg

VIDEOS

PLAYERS

Sell73out - Sell73out
deKay - deKay01
parkinho - parkinho
Larsen B - Larsen
dataDave - dataDave

GokouD - GokouD

Barnard - PBarnard

Kenshi - smilingkenshi

SHarris78 - SHarris78

rgraves - rgraves

Organise online games in this thread here!

• Upvote 5

This looks and sounds amazing. From what they discussed, it seems to be territories, only you're more hands-on in actually acquiring it than standing around and waiting to be shot. Moving much slower through enemy territory is genius too, since it means you've got a viable defensive option should you find yourself down to your last few square meters.

This is right up my alley. I've been looking for a good, innovative 4v4 fps arena shooter, and I reckon this fits the bill very nicely indeed. People should be very excited about the potential of Splatoon, and the Wii-U in general.

• Upvote 2

This was the best original game at the show by a major studio by faaaaar. While everybody else is looking to build everything into a franchise, it was really nice to see Nintendo finally doing something in the Shooter space in a way that makes sense for them.

I've had the conversation a few times that Nintendo could do an FPS with paintball and make it family friendly and entertaining. It feels EA beat them to this with Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, but I just think Nintendo are going to do it with so much more style. The mechanics that the paint allows and the traversal options are very unique so it will be interesting in how everything is balanced. Arena shooter too, which gets another thumbs-up from me.

It's the sort of risky, new and interesting title that I'd like to see more of. Kudos.

• Upvote 1

This is showing on Treehouse Live now and it is looking amazing.

Really hope there's different kind of Ink guns though. Ink shotgun, ink rocketlauncher, ink grenadelauncher, etc.

Not only have they come up with a multiplayer shooter that totally sidesteps the usual macho stereotypes, and not only have they put an original spin on the mechanics of a tired old genre, but they've resisted the temptation to slap Mario all over it. A beacon of vibrant colour and style in an oilspilled ocean of AAA dross. It looks wonderful.

• Upvote 7

Not only have they come up with a multiplayer shooter that totally sidesteps the usual macho stereotypes, and not only have they put an original spin on the mechanics of a tired old genre, but they've resisted the temptation to slap Mario all over it.

True, for which they deserve kudos, but at the same time adding Mario (Sunshine) to this could've added even more charm and maybe even a better graphical style to the game. The only thing I don't like about this game so far is the lackluster, generic Nickelodeon visual style.

Yeah funny that you mention it as I kept on thinking "Nickelodeon" throughout the stream.

This doesn't seem like a very 'Nintendo franchise' which they can integrate with their other ones as easily. Even Pullblox has a much more Nintendo feel to it and it wouldn't surprise me if the character of that series ever makes it into something like Smash.

True, for which they deserve kudos, but at the same time adding Mario (Sunshine) to this could've added even more charm and maybe even a better graphical style to the game. The only thing I don't like about this game so far is the lackluster, generic Nickelodeon visual style.

I'd like to think its early days, including for the name and logo.

As for the graphical style, it goes without saying the levels aren't going to start out full of the usual Nintendo colour. The characters need a bit of work if they're to become Nintendo icons but the squidiness (Apple says it's not a word, I say fuck Apple and fuck the dictionary) is a good starting point. It's a shame that Squid Girl has already taken all the best squid puns.

I get a distinct deBlob feeling from the art style and I like the fact it doesn't rely on existing franchises. Is it online multiplayer only, then? The fact you seem to need the gamepad implies there won't be any same room multiplayer, which is a shame.

I think this looks pretty good, not really a fan of the character design but I applaud Nintendo for trying something different. I'm surprised they didn't slap all of Nintendos characters into this - like a FPS mario kart mashup. I wonder if it's retail or eshop? Seems more like a multiplayer game only.

This was the game that has cemented my decision to get a Wii U. Smash I want but one game isn't a justifiable reason to buy a system. This looks really fun, I don't play many shooters because I just interest in them so to see something like this is refreshing.