The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

• 2 weeks later...

According to my Switch, I last played BOTW five years ago today. It was the only Switch game I played at launch and long afterwards, apart from Mario Kart 7.

Anyway… The DLC for BOTW. Does it add a traditional Zelda type game mode? I just couldn’t get on with the “open world” design of this, and if the DLC corrects that somehow, I’d be interested…

If anyone could release a DLC that fundamentally upended a game's entire design philosophy it's Nintendo. But then again they DO like actually making money...

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

According to my Switch, I last played BOTW five years ago today. It was the only Switch game I played at launch and long afterwards, apart from Mario Kart 7.

Anyway… The DLC for BOTW. Does it add a traditional Zelda type game mode? I just couldn’t get on with the “open world” design of this, and if the DLC corrects that somehow, I’d be interested…

what are you expecting!?!?

14 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

If it had a more linear set of games missions, an overarching structure, etc, while still using the BotW engine. I don’t get on with open world games…

the DLC has a nice challenge at the start which is pretty linear but good fun...

but missions around the shrines are a bit more involved in order to reveal them, but it's still fundamentally the same game as you would expect.

21 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

If it had a more linear set of games missions, an overarching structure, etc, while still using the BotW engine. I don’t get on with open world games…

You can play the game absolutely linearly if you want to though. All the way through it gives you directions. It just happens to be the case that there’s so much in the world to distract you and you end up spending hours doing other stuff all the time. It’s marvellous.

true - decide an order to the beasts in and away you go... you'll easily get enough shrines as you pass on the way to get the master sword.  The only real totally non-linear bit would be finding the memories, which is optional anyway (but worth it!)

I can’t believe it’s been 5 years since I was playing this in earnest. Where did the time go? I remember waking up, turning on my Switch and playing until I got the 5% battery warning for weekends at a time. Good times. 

• 3 weeks later...

Being bang into the Switch again thanks to the OLED, I have been thinking about BOTW2...

Now I am quite open about my dislike of BOTW. It's not a hatred by any means, and I still pumped 50 hours into it, within the first week of release. I actually put 20 into the WII U version (got it 2 days prior to launch), before my wife bought me a Switch as a pre wedding gift (amazing) and then started again and put 50 in...

My problems are not that it did new things, but more that it lacked the biome variety I need from a Zelda game. That biome variety spreads downwards into enemy variety, and of course something that will never return... Equipment. I can live without the last bit, but an item every so often felt like a new day on an advent calendar. Pre 30 years old of course. Now in my 30s advent calendars are not exciting anymore...

I hope to the Skyward Heavens that we at least get some biome variety. Even if it is only a handful of very specific dungeons nested in specific environments, each containing a very specific enemies. Something that will scratch that "reward via completion/exploration" itch. As someone that likes new encounters that is very important for me.

I would also like a better soundtrack. This is a point many will hate, as the ambience is highly praised, but I miss some louder tunes as I am exploring. 

And finally... Underwater please... That extra layer of exploration gives side/main dungeon possibilities and offers intrigue outside of just open plains to explore. 

I am well aware most people will froth like crazy even if it's more of the same... And that is fine. Why not. But if the game only adds a handful of enemies, mechanics and locations... I will be wondering what they have been doing for the last 5 years. 

I am gonna drive back into the first post XC3 to just explore it once more... But I hope 2 adds some classic Zelda back in, and if not, at least explores alot of new environments/enemies. 

23 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Being bang into the Switch again thanks to the OLED, I have been thinking about BOTW2...

Now I am quite open about my dislike of BOTW. It's not a hatred by any means, and I still pumped 50 hours into it, within the first week of release. I actually put 20 into the WII U version (got it 2 days prior to launch), before my wife bought me a Switch as a pre wedding gift (amazing) and then started again and put 50 in...

My problems are not that it did new things, but more that it lacked the biome variety I need from a Zelda game. That biome variety spreads downwards into enemy variety, and of course something that will never return... Equipment. I can live without the last bit, but an item every so often felt like a new day on an advent calendar. Pre 30 years old of course. Now in my 30s advent calendars are not exciting anymore...

I hope to the Skyward Heavens that we at least get some biome variety. Even if it is only a handful of very specific dungeons nested in specific environments, each containing a very specific enemies. Something that will scratch that "reward via completion/exploration" itch. As someone that likes new encounters that is very important for me.

I would also like a better soundtrack. This is a point many will hate, as the ambience is highly praised, but I miss some louder tunes as I am exploring. 

And finally... Underwater please... That extra layer of exploration gives side/main dungeon possibilities and offers intrigue outside of just open plains to explore. 

I am well aware most people will froth like crazy even if it's more of the same... And that is fine. Why not. But if the game only adds a handful of enemies, mechanics and locations... I will be wondering what they have been doing for the last 5 years. 

I am gonna drive back into the first post XC3 to just explore it once more... But I hope 2 adds some classic Zelda back in, and if not, at least explores alot of new environments/enemies. 

I thought BOTW had the most rewarding exploration of *any game* I’ve ever played… not just Zelda

23 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

What do you mean by biome variety, because Breath of The Wild is chock full of different biomes?

@scottcr expectation Vs reality plays a big role in my not so fond experience with the game. I admit that whole heartedly. When I say I am not it's biggest fan, is not me saying it IS ABSOLUTELY a bad game. Because it absolutely is not. I think we often expect certain things from games, and if they miss the mark, or even do something new that is even better, we can be left disappointed. That may be what happened to me with BOTW. 

Exploration for me, is not just being in the world, finding new shrines, or ruins of the past and maybe getting rewarded with a different powered weapon or piece of armour (although getting the Rubber Armour was very cool). For me it is rewarded with new exciting enemies to face, and maybe something that allows.you to go somewhere and progress (likely a very old school mindset). 

It is reaching those new biomes and basking in everything they have to offer. Now there absolute are biomes in BOTW ( @JPLhope this answers your question), however they often feel like everywhere else, as there is nothing unique in them outside of the basic gameplay changes. The requirement to modulate temps, or the surfaces changing stamina requirements is great, but where are the enemies unique to those environments, or the dungeons to accompany the environment. I will look admit Zora's domain blew my mind truly. But I also want dungeons where I feel like I am the first person their in centuries, with a huge big unique, themed boas. The shrines are amazing absolutely, and the Divine Beasts whilst short are kind of cool, but they lack that visual and thematic punch I expect from this franchise. Let's not even get started on the Bosses... Come on Nintendo. 

Now I never want to come across as a hating for hating sake kind of gamer. That really is not my jam usually at least. I have definitely felt rage when someone dissed something I cared about absolutely, and I have had that targeted towards me when talking about this game, Skyrim and so on. I felt it towards Jeff Gerstman after his Twilight Princess review back in the day. Was foaming... Gears a 9.5 but Zelda an 8.5? Is he taking the piss I thought... 

I am a huge Zelda fan. Always have been since getting A Link to the Past for my 4th birthday and watching my parents play it instead of playing it myself... I truly love the series. I remember waiting in my room playing Mario 64 waiting for my Mam to get back from the MetroCentre with OoT, and my Dad queuing after a long day at work in Newcastle city centre for WW. Bunking off school with a "dentist appointment" on Wii launch day... The first time I actually saved my pocket money properly instead of just buying any game. My wife buying me Skyward Sword limited edition, and the Zelda WW Wii U console. 

Does it mean I am outright wrong to want those things though? I don't think so. More enemy variety and a deeper biome connection are not negative things by any means and would only add to the experience in my opinion. To be rewarded in the open world, but also with unique bosses, and weird wacky items sounds class. 

Change is tough for everybody, and this for me personally was always going to be. I was dug in from a young age into the franchise. Its been a part of me since the dawn of my time. I just feel it got too far removed from what made it so special. But that doesn't mean this isn't special too. 

TLDR: My nostalgic expectations have me yearning for some classical flourishes to keep my childish wants met. Howay Nintendo, read the fucking room. Make the game for me only alright???

Also a TLDR:

Replace the intro with - These BOTW fans are trying to...

And American with - Classic Zelda Fan 

(I am aware many of you are also classic Zelda fans, but you get the point) 

On 01/07/2022 at 13:55, Alan Stock said:

I also desperately miss Elden Ring's summonable at any time horse. When exploring in BOTW there's so much running around on foot because you left your horse somewhere and you can't get back to it. The only option is usually to plough on ahead on foot which takes forever, or teleport to a stable miles away. This is one of the few open world games I won't rinse everything in, simply because its too tedious scouring the environment . Thankfully the side quests usually take you to points of interest you may have missed.

If you have the DLC there is a piece of equipment you can find for your Horse that allows it to teleport to you when you whistle. This works everywhere except where Horses aren't allowed such as the Volcano area.

The Item you unlock upon finishing the DLC also makes getting around the world much more fun, but the problem is by then you've most likely done everything and don't need it.

I really wish this game had a New Game + mode where you could restart with that plus all the Divine Beast powers you'd already earned, as it would enable you to play the game again in a new way.

• 1 month later...

Finished my 6th Playthrough, All 120 Shrines and Champions Ballad DLC and am now just toodling around Hyrule on the Master Cycle Zero with the Korok Mask on, hoovering up Korok Seeds as I wait those interminable 224 days for the sequel.

As much as I love this game, I think it's kind of spoiled me.  It's by no means perfect, but I love playing it and don't want it to end. :(

13 hours ago, Jarik said:

Going around lake Hylia, I saw Farosh emerging and for the first time, I didn't immediately start carving him up with my eyes and planning how best to shoot him to get those sweet, sweet body parts like scales and teeth as I already had plenty.  I just parked the Cycle on a ridge and admired the sight as he swam through the air.

Similarly, I was going along the Deplian Badlands at the north/east of the map when I heard the Dragon music and looking back, saw that Dinraal had descended behind me. As before, I had no interest in harvesting parts, and normally, he would have been too far away to catch up with anyway, but I was suddenly struck with the desire to see just how fast the Master Cycle Zero is.  Accordingly, I spun the Cycle around and chased after him.  I blew right past some Lynels who although they drew their weapons, I left their detection range before they could attack.  The Master Cycle handles a bit oddly on uneven terrain so I was bouncing around quite a bit, but I was catching up with Dinraal...before the fuel charge started to flash.  It was now a race not only against the Dragon but the emptying fuel tank.  I just managed to catch up Dinraal before the chasm that separates the Badlands from Hebra where the fuel tank ran out and Dinraal started to ascend again anyway, so yes, I won my self-imposed race with no reward but my pride.  Go me! :D

And it is stories like these that will keep this game enthraling for years to come :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve just been listening to the the OST tonight and it brings back so many memories.  I’m an old bastard and I’ve played a LOT of games… but… it really is the best game ever made. It just is

I never even finished the bosses before, or found all 120 shrines (all valid criticisms BTW, @SuperCapes*), and now I'm worried that if I start playing it now I'll be burned out in time for the new one.

* It's like every Zelda leaves something out on purpose to stop it from being the perfect video game, all of them other than LttP, which is indeed the perfect video game.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, me and the boy started this again last week. It really is chaos sharing a save file with a five year old. Together we’ll make progress through the main quest and unlock towers, as well as locate the various pieces of important gear. At night by myself I’ll sweep up shrines, koroks, materials/ingredients/ammo, etc. Then by the time I get back to it after he’s been on there’s nothing left! We’re now out of shock arrows after collecting all of them from the Lynel den, and they don’t seem to respawn. 🤣🤣